Soi Dog Foundation celebrates growth of mobile sterilisation programme on World Spay Day

snoop1130

'CNVR is at the very forefront of Soi Dog’s operations and is proven to be the CNVR is at the very forefront of Soi Dog’s operations and is proven to be the most ethical and effective way of managing the street dog and cat populations.'

Misinformation at best, all they are doing is reducing the population growth slightly, hardly controlling it and certainly not a long term solution as the numbers they get round to doing are relatively minuscule. They have steralised 650.000 since 2003, some of those would have been cats. That works out at 93  a day. Hundreds of strays must be born a day. They claim they are ending suffering, but that is another fantasy I think.

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

From the full article:

'The effectiveness of CNVR can be seen most in Phuket where Soi Dog’s CNVR programme has steadily reduced the number of stray dogs by over 90% since 2003'. 

CNVR is being adopted not only in Thailand, but in many countries throughout the world, because it works and has been proven to work.

Phuket is an Island making it more effective, in the country as a whole the numbers speak for themselves- it's been a failure.

8 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Talk about moving the goal posts. Is it done in other parts of the country?

Hardly at an average of 93 cats and dogs a day, almost a waste of time. Then of course they are still a pest, just a few that cannot breed. The doggy people like to pretend what they are doing is a solution to the millions of strays on the streets, it's not.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

'(Catch, Neuter, Vaccinate, Return). This means they will still be defecating on the street; still spreading diseases; still biting/menacing passers by; still disturbing the peace with their howling; still suffering from various illnesses; still causing accidents (both step-daughters brought crashing to the ground in separate incidents!) 

So what is the point?

i agree a cull is needed thats logic..but lets remember where we are are the country of 0 logic..

5 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Hardly at an average of 93 cats and dogs a day, almost a waste of time. Then of course they are still a pest, just a few that cannot breed. The doggy people like to pretend what they are doing is a solution to the millions of strays on the streets, it's not.

Do you know of a solution that has been shown to work? 

12 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Do you know of a solution that has been shown to work? 

Don't know about the success of the Vietnam model of round them up & eat them.  Did seem to help here, before the 'bucket trucks' stopped operating.

USA model works quite well, though a waste of 'food', and should at least be used for dog food ????  though it does sound a bit weird.

The model of round 'em up, nobody claims, kill them, seems to solve the 'too many' strays in the USA.

With the Thai mindset on soi dogs ... no solution here.

Edited by KhunLA

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The model of round 'em up, nobody claims, kill them, seems to solve the 'too many' strays in the USA.

I think they have a similar thing in Canada, don't think I ever encountered a free roaming dog there in the years i lived there, you could take your dog with a leash anywhere and not get constantly assaulted like here.

I could even run my dog in the forest with or without a leash.. and they have dog parks for socializing them so they don't get aggressive

here the experience is, you get a puppy and every single other dog he sees is threatening or barking at it so they return the favor

forget about walking with no leash with your dog in most areas, I can barely do it on the beach.. mine has been rushed by 6+ dogs before and wounded cause he ran away from them instead of staying next to me.

anyways, soi dog foundation has something going on, i suppose that is their only option but it isn't doing much, 600k dogs in 20 years when there's 6+ millions of them roaming around today.. in 20 years all those dogs will have died and there will still be 6+ millions

so the difference is, nothing.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

With over 670,000 dogs and cats spayed/neutered and vaccinated since the foundation started in 2003,

I mean, their intentions are good and I wouldn't want to discourage them but it's a bit like announcing that the first 100 straws of hey have been removed from the stack when you're really no further to finding the needle.

A new strategy is needed if they really want to do anything other than swim against the tide.

• Like 1

I get woken at minimum 3 times a night thanks to dogs barking, howling & fighting, just one night of peace & quiet would be nice so I can get a proper nights sleep.

Did you know that the military the world over use sleep deprivation as a form of torture ??

That's how I feel. And please don't anyone tell me "it's time to move".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I get woken at minimum 3 times a night thanks to dogs barking, howling & fighting, just one night of peace & quiet would be nice so I can get a proper nights sleep.

Did you know that the military the world over use sleep deprivation as a form of torture ??

That's how I feel. And please don't anyone tell me "it's time to move".

The usual dog propaganda is there is no such thing as a bad dog only bad owners! What about the dogs with no owners and if they are so good natured why do they have to be trained not to bite, bark and stop being the pests many of them are?

2 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

The usual dog propaganda is there is no such thing as a bad dog only bad owners! What about the dogs with no owners and if they are so good natured why do they have to be trained not to bite, bark and stop being the pests many of them are?

Exactly, thanks for that.

On 2/23/2022 at 6:38 AM, zzaa09 said:

Sure would be much more practical just to euthanize the lot instead of this silly ideal of sterilising. 

On 2/23/2022 at 8:34 AM, clivebaxter said:

Like it or not you will never see an official policy of killing stray dogs in Thailand. It is completely against their culture. It's difficult enough to get a genuinely suffering dog euthanized here, let alone a healthy stray.

As I've already said, CNVR has a proven track record in many locations around the world including here in Phuket of course and I'd suggest that it's the only method that is ethical enough for Thailand to adopt anyway.

So learn to live with it.

• Like 1

In the quiet soi and the surrounding area where I live the stray dogs were 'euthanised' with cyanide, including my two 'soi' dogs and many 'pet' cats got caught up in the cull as well. Heartbreak not only for me but also for several of my neighbours who lost their 'soi' dogs that they've been caring for. This was 3 weeks ago and it still hurts. The hunt is still on for the dog hater perpetrator.  It's eerily peaceful now, day and night. No doubt the a$$ hole responsible is really pleased with himself. I hope karma really does exist!

I agree with euthanising dangerous dogs whether stray or otherwise, sterilise the rest. In our area some of the vets do it for free, especially with the mass of temple dogs. Many so-called stray dogs actually have a 'home' and would be missed by the people who feed them.

Mind you, I'm up in the boonies on the edge of town so plenty of fields etc. for the dogs. Never seen dog poo in the soi or on the pathways. The odd night with a few howls, rarely heard barking unless there was something untoward going on nearby. The squirrels fighting make more noise than the dogs used to make.   Sad, very sad.

They have a right to live, the same as you and me.   

dgs.jpg

Edited by Madgee
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Like it or not you will never see an official policy of killing stray dogs in Thailand. It is completely against their culture. It's difficult enough to get a genuinely suffering dog euthanized here, let alone a healthy stray.

As I've already said, CNVR has a proven track record in many locations around the world including here in Phuket of course and I'd suggest that it's the only method that is ethical enough for Thailand to adopt anyway.

So learn to live with it.

Killing animals is not against Thai culture they kill thousands a day to eat. It's against the nonsense from a certain institution, but killing them is the only serious long term solution, it's been show to work in other countries.  CNVR only works in small environments like Phuket, it's supporters only have excuses why it does not work countrywide. Meanwhile the soi dog population continues to grow.

• Sad 2

On 2/22/2022 at 8:15 PM, Will B Good said:

At the current rate it will take 257 years to sort this problem......and that is based on the assumption the number strays doesn't increase during the intervening period

Keeping a dog in China .com

• Confused 1