Thai Tourism Minister insists on collecting 300 baht ‘land entry fee’ on all foreign visitors, says will be to help tourists and transparent

webfact

IF a 300 B flat fee is applied to all foreign visitors... will the double pricing policy (Thai / Non Thai ) end?
Not much clarity on how this raised money will be used for.... reason for so many doubts about the advantages of such a "Levy".
As a matter of fact Thailand is not the first...
https://www.responsibletravel.com/copy/tourist-taxes#:~:text=What are tourist taxes%3F,typically aimed at overnight visitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, findlay13 said:

So we wont need to have insurance to enter now????? 

I would expect the Covid insurance to remain for a spell, but at some point to be withdrawn. The insurances obligated by particular Visas, O-A, O-X and O-A Retirement Extensions is another consideration. 

• Sad 1

Just now, StevieAus said:

When you see the amount of cross border traffic at Mai Sai, pre Covid, many of the Thai and especially Burmese are not really Tourists but involved in cross border Trade.

It will be interesting to see them trying to extract 300 baht from someone for whom that may be a days pay or more.

Isn't going to happen is it! Nor do I see why they should be obliged to contribute to a fund cited as to be used to pay tourist expenses, like medical charges. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, djayz said:

And from those of us who are foreign residents here returning home too? 

If it is indeed going into the airfare calculation, for sure you will pay it, as will Thais returning from overseas who fly in will have to. Don't expect it will apply to locals at land crossings, but very likely to tourists doing the same. Anyhow, still ironing out the creases......but I have it from a good source it is going to happen. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

Yeah right !!!!

End of hospital treatment, here's your bill sir how do you wish to pay?

I thought I was insured on entry?

Nah, you gotta pay!

You think the 300 baht at the airport will cover the 300,000 bill they likely will present you with.... rather surreal I say.