Sat Nav for my Pickup

JetsetBkk

15 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

I have a factory installed navigation system in my 2018 Mazda and I can tell you that "Maps" that comes with many cell phones is far superior!

Thanks for that! I was thinking of getting a Mazda 3 Coupe, when they are eventually on sale here.

Looks like I'll have to check out it's Sat Nav system!

1 hour ago, pitufikken said:

Try Sygic. It is not free, but there is a test period. And the best is, it works without internet, from your smartphone.

I didn't consider a mobile phone app (phone's screen is very small), and wanted a separate large screen that hangs from the rear view mirror.

But some of the advertisements for it do look really good.

Edited by JetsetBkk

If a new car, best if its media is either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay (depending on your phone obviously), where your phone is effectively being 'screen mirrored' to the larger car media screen.  After market media replacements readily available, had replacement units fitted to both my Fortuner and the wife's Accord.   As someone pointed out, factory fitted units navigation systems are rarely updated, as opposed to Google Maps on your phone being up to date whenever you connect.

If looking at replacement units, I recommend HongKee Auto Sound on the Bypass.   They fitted both our units, good job.

https://goo.gl/maps/htWSUseR9gR6m4YE6

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pitufikken said:

Try Sygic. It is not free, but there is a test period. And the best is, it works without internet, from your smartphone.

But how often is it undated? Google Maps does it every time you use it, and you can upload maps/journeys to your phone, so not need internet

• Like 1

OK for head units.. I wanted a big screen android which ALSO did Android Auto from my phone.. 

I bought a 'chinese unit' that was so <deleted> in use I took it back the next day and he took it out and fully refunded.. After that I had to heavy demo lots to find one that was swift and worked well. I highly recommend this unit and brand 

Theres also the same unit with a 'vivid' UI 'upgrade' which having tested I dont think is an upgrade, it superficially looks better and handles multi screen split screening better but is less simple in day to day use and doesnt do simple tasks as cleanly imo. 

I bought it from aliexpress, fully loaded with front and rear cameras, toyota plugs for plug and play, etc etc.. They also had tyre pressure sensors, DAB TV, etc etc things I didnt want. PX6 Max10 was my choice of the model selections. I think it was 12k plus maybe 2 in extras ?? 

No tax on import (is it always like that from china) and local shop built in for a grand. Its by far the best generic android I have used. 

https://th.aliexpress.com/store/group/Two-Din-Units/600991_511230213.html?

They now seem to have 11.6 and 13.3 screens.. The 11.6 might be an upgrade but thats as large as I would want. Be careful as theres units, units and car play, units and AA, and I think some that do carplay and AA.. Pay attention to the choice, I ordered and then hd to reach to customer support to clarify and it was without android auto, they switched it around before shipping. 

I have it set now (with an app called tasker) that as my phone detects the bluetooth of the car it auto turns on hotspot and the car picks up my phone wifi signal all without any user intervention. I also used home wifi to download a large google maps area (I prefer google or waze to the built in app) and have a 64GB thumb of music.. Add on streaming spotify and its a slick package. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onekoolguy said:

I have a factory installed navigation system in my 2018 Mazda and I can tell you that "Maps" that comes with many cell phones is far superior!

maps.Me is very good, I think its owned by the Russians ....(Oooh....:crying:)  isn't it.     I have used it on my Mobile for years. Its free and allows you just to use whatever area your in. You can just have BKK in detail if you want---or take the whole of Thailand. Going overseas and take whatever country you want then disregard it.

• Thanks 1

I have one similar to your picture, it's Android based with front and rear cameras.

My advice to you, for satnav, forget it. The screen is too small, not bright enough in daytime, and completely destroys rear vision at night. The position is terrible for entering destination etc., and to update anything it has to connect to wifi, i.e. your smartphone.

Worst of all, it is so heavy that every time you go over a bump the mirrror tilts down so you can see nothing! It is very irritating to have to adjust it every 10 seconds. I have rigged a spring system to balance it, but it's not a perfect answer.

Another snag, it is much wider than the original mirror, over which it is mounted, and so interferes with the sun visors - it gets knocked when you use them.

Mine is obviously designed for LHD, so the camera is on the wrong side - small point but it affects the field of view, as the angle of the mirror is wrong.

Final point, unless you want wires dangling everywhere, installing the cables so they are hidden is no small task.

My advice:- use Google Maps or Maps.me on your phone, or buy a Garmin Nuvi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a 2021 Mazda CX 3 and just use google maps with audio directions on my smart phone and then bluetooth it automatically to the vehicle's media screen, which is the same display screen that I would have used if I purchased the sat/nav USB that Mazda wanted 16 000 baht for. Maybe there are better map platforms but I find the current system as easy as earlier garmin sat/navs that I used before. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:  Thanks for that! I was thinking of getting a Mazda 3 Coupe, when they are eventually on sale here. Looks like I'll have to check out it's Sat Nav system!   mine is a 3 .  great car. Love it  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grusa said:

My advice to you, for satnav, forget it. The screen is too small, not bright enough in daytime, and completely destroys rear vision at night.

I've just been playing with a mates "no brand", made in China, ADAS mirror system that he very kindly lent me:

1927333600_ADASSatNav600.jpg.2281d569d70d90e3d9b89d8f9d3ca999.jpg

But before I powered it up and connected it to my home Wi-Fi, I installed Google Waze on my mobile - and it's a damn site easier to use and gives a better - i.e. taller - picture than the "rear view mirror" device. The problem with that device is that, although it's plenty wide enough, it's just too short vertically. My mobile is taller and can show the route better.

Maybe I need to check out devices with a tall screen - there's plenty of room on my pickup's dashboard for such.

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

But how often is it undated? Google Maps does it every time you use it, and you can upload maps/journeys to your phone, so not need internet

Google maps that you download are not updated every time you use them. Sygic maps are updated either 4 time a year or every month depending on your payment. It also has a far better speed limit and actual car speed limit display. I have Sygic, Google maps, apple maps, and Waze on my CarPlay display, Sygic is easily the winner 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Google maps that you download are not updated every time you use them. Sygic maps are updated either 4 time a year or every month depending on your payment. It also has a far better speed limit and actual car speed limit display. I have Sygic, Google maps, apple maps, and Waze on my CarPlay display, Sygic is easily the winner 

I said Google Maps is updated every time you use it, not downloaded maps, obviously. Four times a year for Sygic isn't really keeping up, and it does not show traffic jams etc in real time. OK, yes it does beep when you exceed the speed limit which is stored in your phone.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I said Google Maps is updated every time you use it, not downloaded maps, obviously. Four times a year for Sygic isn't really keeping up, and it does not show traffic jams etc in real time. OK, yes it does beep when you exceed the speed limit which is stored in your phone.

You clearly don’t know what you are taking about. As I said you can have monthly DOWNLOADED maps if you choose, though  Google is hardly speedy in actually updating its maps even though you are required to be online to get anywhere near the navigation provided by most other mapping programs. It has taken the “always updated” Google maps about 2 years to just add a set of traffic lights and break in a previous continuous dual carriageway. And yes I reported it to them 2 years ago.

Taking Sygic, if you use your phone on your windscreen as a satnave you can have real view navigation (the navigation is superimposed over the view from your windscreen) with Sygic being a dashcam at the same time, also road sign recognition  (none of these is available from Google) If you don’t want to mount the phone on the windscreen and you don’t have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, you can have the phone flat on the dashboard and Sygic has a HUD mode (Google doesn’t have that). Finally Sygic does have real time traffic information I have it on my iPhone and iPads

I have (or have had) on my phones and iPads, and have used (in no particular order), Maps.me, Garmin Thailand, TomTom Go. NOSTRA map5, Waze, Apple Map, Google Map, Yandex.Maps and  Sygic 

of all of those Sygic is hands down the best with no competition from any other for driving using either CarPlay or an iPad with minimal data needed for traffic updates and no map data required. It also has some house numbers showing with neither Apple nor Google has along with customisation for over speed limit warnings so you choose how much, if any overspeed you allow and the warning you get. It also has a cockpit mode that ties in with sensors on your device showing G forces, tilt and inclination along with altitude.D413C793-F365-4D3F-B045-DBE8D05E4D7B.thumb.jpeg.a5ce4fd6735108970ab4cc5ba1c7e2bf.jpeg85AB71EF-ABDA-41CB-A664-5F9DB33B3622.thumb.jpeg.00ec634b9fd5a9509157e547223aacc8.jpeg

For navigation while walking, other programs come into their own with Maps.Me being one of the best off line. If you have unlimited data then both Google and Apple maps work for that as well.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, pitufikken said:

So how can it give 'real-time' traffic information, which the Woodworker says it has?

Edited by KannikaP

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Did you actually read my post? If you do you will find the answer to that question, as well as proof of it.

Yes I did read it. I have had Sygic for years so I DO know what I am talking about. It's only YOU who says it has real time traffic updates so where's the proof. How can it if not connected to the internet?

And as for that HUD, it's useless for me. Phone on the dashboard gets hot in the sun and you need some sort of mat to stop it slipping off, the angle between my windscreen and dash is  maybe 20 degrees.

I'll stick with Google Maps thanks.

Edited by KannikaP

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes I did read it. I have had Sygic for years so I DO know what I am talking about. It's only YOU who says it has real time traffic updates. How can it if not connected to the internet?

And as for that HUD, it's useless for me. Phone on the dashboard gets hot in the sun and you need some sort of mat to stop it slipping off, the angle between my windscreen and dash is  maybe 20 degrees.

I'll stick with Google Maps thanks.

You say you read my post but you clearly haven’t since I never said that Sygic gets traffic information without being connected. Sygic does not need data access to download maps that is the majority of data requirements for online navigation programs it only needs data access if you want real time traffic or to report from the app. It is totally usable without being connected, though of course you don’t get the traffic information in that case.

The onscreen speed limit and car speed is far more useful to me in avoiding speeding tickets by missing a speed limit reduction.

it is true that Google maps does display traffic in a more obvious way than Sygic 

3E3C1C3F-5B8A-4198-9F90-CBAA9BC48794.thumb.jpeg.7e7c801273acf786f3038cc9b6ed8c88.jpeg3EFB9395-4731-4DD4-931A-03614AEF6333.jpeg.3f161dbe54352805eb04bea67f4372df.jpeg

Google maps, incidentally showing a traffic slowdown that is not true.C6BE3FF6-E68D-40AB-B83F-764F357E7A8C.thumb.jpeg.fb3ec14533b4bd7629a25aeafca41330.jpeg

Sygic showing the more valuable speed and speed limit 

395483A2-AE59-47FE-967C-903300C6C410.thumb.jpeg.e9f512fee1d59d1e998075e5c464813f.jpeg

You of course are welcome to use the app that you are more comfortable with, that it doesn’t have the breadth of features available in others may not be important in your use case, but misleading by incorrect statements is hardly helpful.

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You say you read my post but you clearly haven’t since I never said that Sygic gets traffic information without being connected

Sorry, I mis-interpreted something you never said

• Sad 1

For my many visit inside and around Bangkok TomTom is my choice for android car system with net connection

Sygic route logic has failed many time in these regions switching to TomTom has fixed bad route choices.

TomTom logic picks up many known good short cut and route Sygic not many

All navi system can give route but not all have good logic when in busy area with many route options.

Good test for navi system is see how it choose a route when you know best route 

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The onscreen speed limit and car speed is far more useful to me in avoiding speeding tickets by missing a speed limit reduction.

Keep the old mincers open!   LOL, for both signs and cameras!

Sygic on my phone on a magnetic mount is so easy to use?

After time you only listen to direction? Not really check the map on the screen, Bluetooth, usb to my screen display as well!

You pay for what you want - traffic is available for life, cheap cost!

3 map updates a year, or pay extra for every month if you want!

I. Dash GPS to much cost update! Pay your dealer! If they get updates!

I use Google maps very little now!

I am pleased with Sygic on my phone ( use a magnetic mount so easy to display most areas on your dash!

Cheers

On 2/24/2022 at 12:42 PM, pitufikken said:

Lots of free apps do this. I have Google Maps, Maps.Me and Here WeGo on my Android. All work without data connection, unless you want real time traffic and maps update regularly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Martinpeter said:

Sygic on my phone on a magnetic mount is so easy to use?

After time you only listen to direction? Not really check the map on the screen, Bluetooth, usb to my screen display as well!

You pay for what you want - traffic is available for life, cheap cost!

3 map updates a year, or pay extra for every month if you want!

I. Dash GPS to much cost update! Pay your dealer! If they get updates!

I use Google maps very little now!

I am pleased with Sygic on my phone ( use a magnetic mount so easy to display most areas on your dash!

Cheers

Google Maps also works if your phone is on a magnetic mount. It also has a nice lady (or man) to tell you which way to go so only need to listen, especially when bluetoothed to your car radio. I did not try to USB it to my screen display as that is over to my left, phone is directly in front of me.

You pay for what you want?    Google Maps is free.

Only 3 map updates a year isn't quite up-to-date info.

I am sitting in my lounge on my recliner, and Sygic says I am doing 12 kph and the nearest fuel is 17 km away, when I know it is 13. !   LOL

Pointless discussing any further, I like Google Maps.

Edited by KannikaP

As the guy who started this thread, I want to thank all those who have contributed, especially those who actually have one of these devices or used one, and who gave unbiased information.

The Sygic maps homepage (https://www.sygic.com/) shows exactly what I would like:

455933644_SygicHomepage400.jpg.29c9cc16b42c77cc9eb85ef5b69491f5.jpg - mobile charged & kept cool near the air-con ????

I'm assuming the displayed map tracks your location as you move, as is shown in their video, which I've cropped and uploaded here: (edited clip repeated 4 times):

I don't know if Google Maps tracks your location as you move, and changes the map to show your new location. I'll give it a test later today.

One hour later:

OK, I went out, put my mobile in front on the air-con outlets and on-charge, held in place by a device that I stuck to the dashboard.

It showed the route, where I was on that route, gave verbal directions 200 and 100 metres before I had to turn, and updated the map as I went along the route. Perfect! I can only assume that Sygic must be going out of business soon because Google Maps does everything that I want!

Can't wait to use it on my trip to Phuket Town tomorrow!  ????

• Like 2