Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

from Kyivindependent.com:

Akhmetov to sue Russia over destruction of his assets.
(link in Russian Ukrainian)

Rinat Akhmetov, Ukraine’s richest man, said in an interview with NV, a Ukrainian media outlet, that he will file a lawsuit against Russia, demanding “proper compensation for all losses and lost business.” According to Akhmetov, the losses of his Azovstal and Ilyich steel plants in Mariupol due to Russia’s war range from $17 billion to $20 billion.

=> and there is me wondering, since Ruzzia insists there is no war, it might be difficult for them to invoke an "act of war" in their defense.

Edited by tgw

from https://kyivindependent.com/

Podolyak: Ukraine rules out territorial concessions, signing another Minsk Agreement.
(link in Ukrainian)

Presidential advisor Mykhailo Podolyak said that agreeing to give up territories is impossible and would only backfire as Russia would use the pause in fighting to prepare for further offensives. “It will lead to a larger, more bloody war,” he said.

=> exactly. one of the main problems for ending this war is that Ruzzia cannot be considered a trustworthy negotiation partner.

7 minutes ago, tgw said:

from https://kyivindependent.com/

Podolyak: Ukraine rules out territorial concessions, signing another Minsk Agreement.
(link in Ukrainian)

Presidential advisor Mykhailo Podolyak said that agreeing to give up territories is impossible and would only backfire as Russia would use the pause in fighting to prepare for further offensives. “It will lead to a larger, more bloody war,” he said.

=> exactly. one of the main problems for ending this war is that Ruzzia cannot be considered a trustworthy negotiation partner.

That's putting it mildly.

2 hours ago, tgw said:

Akhmetov to sue Russia over destruction of his assets.
(link in Russian Ukrainian)

Rinat Akhmetov, Ukraine’s richest man, said in an interview with NV, a Ukrainian media outlet, that he will file a lawsuit against Russia, demanding “proper compensation for all losses and lost business.” According to Akhmetov, the losses of his Azovstal and Ilyich steel plants in Mariupol due to Russia’s war range from $17 billion to $20 billion.

=> and there is me wondering, since Ruzzia insists there is no war, it might be difficult for them to invoke an "act of war" in their defense.

He will receive the "order of the umbrellas tip" before any court action filed methinks

• Like 1

Russia Deploys 50-Year-Old T-62 Tanks To Ukraine

Numerous Cold-War era Russian T-62 tanks have been photographed at Melitopol railway station in southeastern Ukraine near the current front lines of the three-month-old conflict in the country. Whether the tanks will be used by Russian forces or turned over to local separatist groups is currently unclear, but their presence can only raise questions about Russia’s depleting armor reserves after months of significant losses

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russia-deploys-50-year-old-t-62-tanks-to-ukraine-front

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Russia Deploys 50-Year-Old T-62 Tanks To Ukraine

Numerous Cold-War era Russian T-62 tanks have been photographed at Melitopol railway station in southeastern Ukraine near the current front lines of the three-month-old conflict in the country. Whether the tanks will be used by Russian forces or turned over to local separatist groups is currently unclear, but their presence can only raise questions about Russia’s depleting armor reserves after months of significant losses

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russia-deploys-50-year-old-t-62-tanks-to-ukraine-front

Desperation, they are throwing everything they have got now. They will make good practise targets for the Ukrainians.

• Like 1

Russian Parliament Scraps Age Limit for Army Recruits

(Reuters) -Russia's parliament approved a law on Wednesday in double-quick time removing the upper age limit for contractual service in the military, amid heavy casualties in Ukraine.

Lawmakers in the State Duma lower house approved the bill in three readings in a single session, with the upper house, the Federation Council, giving its assent shortly after.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2022-05-25/russian-lawmakers-vote-to-scrap-upper-age-limit-for-military

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tgw said:

Russia says it expects Kyiv to accept its demands, including claims on occupied territories.

Kremlin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on May 26 that the Russian-occupied territories were not territorial concessions. Ukraine has repeatedly stated that it won’t give up any of its territories.

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

????

what a farce !

Ukraine has a choice and Russia won't give up either,  so another Afganistan situation I would say.  

6 minutes ago, tgw said:

If Ukraine wanted to negotiate, with who could they negotiate ?

Ruzzia already guaranteed Ukraine's 1994 borders several times in the past, so who could Ukraine negotiate with ?

I don't know believe it or not I'm with you on your concern for Ukraine.

Sorry but don't think the US and Europe are sincere enough behind the scenes.

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Russian Parliament Scraps Age Limit for Army Recruits

(Reuters) -Russia's parliament approved a law on Wednesday in double-quick time removing the upper age limit for contractual service in the military, amid heavy casualties in Ukraine.

Lawmakers in the State Duma lower house approved the bill in three readings in a single session, with the upper house, the Federation Council, giving its assent shortly after.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2022-05-25/russian-lawmakers-vote-to-scrap-upper-age-limit-for-military

The lower age limit will probably follow soon. Like Hitler in the last months of WWII, enlisting 60-65 year old men and 14-15 year old boys. Pathetic.

• Like 1

US preparing to approve advanced long-range rocket system for Ukraine

Washington (CNN)The Biden administration is preparing to step up the kind of weaponry it is offering Ukraine by sending advanced, long-range rocket systems that are now the top request from Ukrainian officials, multiple officials say.

The administration is leaning toward sending the systems as part of a larger package of military and security assistance to Ukraine, which could be announced as soon as next week.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Great action footage here of UK and USA foreign legion volunteer fighters taking on the Russians up close

Hmmm, last shouted command was "Pull back, pull back!".

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Isn't that what all trained soldiers do when you've just unleashed a missile at a tank just a few hundred meters away and revealed your positions?

Sorry, didn't know you are an expert on army field tactics.  ????

Second 'pensioner pilot' to come out of retirement for Putin is shot down in Ukraine: Air force colonel, 63, is 'hit by friendly fire'

A second 'pensioner pilot' flying for Vladimir Putin's air force in Ukraine has been shot down and killed.

Nikolai Markov, 63, a retired air force colonel, died when his Su-25 bomber was shot down over the Luhansk region of Donbas on an unknown date. 

There are conflicting reports about how he died. Some claim he was killed by friendly fire while flying low to the ground, but Ukraine says he was shot down by one of their Stinger missiles.

Daily Mail

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Sorry, didn't know you are an expert on army field tactics.  ????

Tactics.....lol

logic would tell you to hide from incoming fire after you've carried out a hit and run ambush and shown the enemy exactly where you are. Perhaps you disagree, so be it.

• Like 1

Putin’s Mariupol Massacre is one of the 21st century’s worst war crimes

With Russia in control of the city, there is no way of knowing the final death toll or assessing the true scale of the catastrophe that has befallen Mariupol. During the final weeks of the fighting, Mariupol Mayor Vadim Boychenko estimated more than 20,000 civilians had been killed and noted that this was twice the number of deaths recorded in the entire two-year Nazi occupation of the city during WWII. “Putin is a bigger evil than Hitler and we must stop him,” commented Boychenko.

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/putins-mariupol-massacre-is-one-the-worst-war-crimes-of-the-21st-century/

• Like 1

'City of ghosts': What's become of Mariupol after Russian occupation

Mariupol has been at the center of a ferocious, months-long battle between Ukrainian government forces and Russian soldiers and pro-Russian fighters. CNN's Melissa Bell reports.

Source: CNN

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2022/05/26/mariupol-city-of-ghosts-ukraine-russia-bell-pkg-lead-vpx.cnn

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Then you  believe in Santa Claus, he will keep the grain for Russia and let the rest of the world starve as his idol Hitler would have done. He wants others to pay for sanctions enacted for his evil actions. 

I think Putin will hold the grain in Ukraine to hold the world to ransom to make them lift sanctions.

There will be a link about what Russia proposd at sometime.

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I think Putin will hold the grain in Ukraine to hold the world to ransom to make them lift sanctions.

There will be a link about what Russia proposd at sometime.

Yes, that’s your good old uncle Putin for you, turning more into a Hitler (or Stalin) clone by the day. The scary thing is that there are even crazier guys than Putin chomping at the bit to replace him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Yes, that’s your good old uncle Putin for you, turning more into a Hitler (or Stalin) clone by the day. The scary thing is that there are even crazier guys than Putin chomping at the bit to replace him. 

Yes I guess your right. 

https//www.wsj.com is where I read about Mariupol port.

Sorry I not know how to post the link on my phone. 

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes I guess your right. 

https//www.wsj.com is where I read about Mariupol port.

Sorry I not know how to post the link on my phone. 

You're getting there, look for a Share icon: image.png.f0f449194a06b08541b93df8a0082576.png in the tool bar at the bottom of the page.

• Thanks 1