Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

On 4/29/2023 at 6:21 PM, candide said:

Ukraine's tactic may be to exhaust Russians by keeping them on alert, not knowing where and when Ukraine will make a strike or launch an offensive. 

Ukraine is facing a tactical challenge.

The odds for Ukraine to repeat what they did in last year's offensive are pretty slim, because I guess the Ruzzians won't be had so easily as the first time and I expect Gerasimov to be a meticulous planner.

Ukraine will probably attack in different places either at the same time or in quick succession, probing Ruzzian defenses and tentatively try to exploit any breaches to make Gerasimov (over)commit reserves and then attack in a different place.

Big challenge because it requires operational stealth from the Ukrainians.

And Gerasimov will prefer to lose some ground instead of committing reserves too early. Unless he's under massive pressure from Putin, I don't think he can be played that way.

Ukraine's best bet may be to turn some large parts of Ruzzian-held territory into logistical deserts for the Ruzzians, use partisans and saboteurs to hamper Ruzzian troop movement and then attack there.

This may be what's currently happening in Southern Kherson Oblast on the left bank of the Dnipro.

And maybe that's what the Ukrainians want Gerasimov to believe, and they will attack in the north instead, where I wouldn't expect them because of the proximity to Russia.

Who knows? Such are the matters of war tactics.

But one thing I know is that the Ukrainians need every help they can get.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2

I would call it karma or pay back time

Ukraine hits Crimea depot as nation gears up for spring offensive: Updates

A suspected Ukraine drone strike that ignited a massive fire at a Crimean oil depot in the Russian-occupied city of Sevastopol

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gods-punishment-ukraine-drone-hits-165044708.html

Vladimir Putin’s once feared and almighty navy is sinking into a sorry state

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vladimir-putin-once-feared-almighty-170000347.html

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

Quote: 'Right now Ukraine is thought to have the highest density of landmines of any country on earth ...' (5 minutes)

The Russians will have a dangerous and busy job with reparations, 'the ones that sow (the mines) shall reap the harvest, Galatians' 6:7–9.

Evidently there is a  protocol when placing minefields, to mark and record them for later removal. 

Failure to do so considered a war crime.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

White House estimates 100,000 Russian casualties (20,000 dead, 80,000 wounded) in the last five months alone:

BBC World News at lunch time claimed the majority of the casualties were in Bakhmut and from Wagner group

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

South Africa warns Putin could face arrest while attending BRICS summit.

Why did they have to go and warn Putin in the first place? Just let him come to South Africa, arrest his @ss and hand him over to the ICC. Easy peasy.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/05/01/south-africa-warns-putin-could-face-arrest-while-attending-brics-summit-a80994

wouldn't trust Ramaphosa as he's a washy washy double face type guy, last week or so ago he was bragging about removing SA from the ICC thus being able to host Vlad

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1