Covid extension issues?

My next "covid extension" is up in a few weeks and started to look for the latests reports on the topic. Was surprised not to find much, so I'll post a few questions here.

First of all has anyone here been rejected a covid extension lately (for the new cycle that expires in the end of March) or had significant problems?

This would be my second and I have paid tickets back to Europe in case they want to see some proof, so I'm hoping for no extra questioning in this case. Plan was to go back in the end of June but if this really is the last covid extension and easy visa runs are still not available, then I guess will have to leave in May.

Can someone like@ubonjoetell me if I can go to apply for the covid extension 2 weeks ahead of my current extension stamps expiry and still have it running from the expiration date and not the day I apply? For other visa types it's always counted from the expiry date but last time I went they gave it from the day of applying. That was when my TR visa expired and I applied my first covid extension. Just want to make 100% sure because I would like apply next week but my current stamp is March 22. I'm out of town around that time so would be convenient to get it done early.

Thanks!

you can apply 45 days in advance, first covid extension was given from the date you apply, following extensions were added in top of your current expiration date.

But with the latest changes I would not expect to get another covid extension from immigration. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

you can apply 45 days in advance

That is for annual extensions and then that's only at some immigration offices.

17 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

But with the latest changes I would not expect to get another covid extension from immigration.

The latest change from Jan 26 was that covid extensions would be issued to visa exempt and tourist visa entries but not to those that entered with non O.

The OP entered on tourist visa.

Why would he not be issued a covid extension. 

3 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

Nope, 60 days covid extensions.

Which immigration office is accepting 45 days in advance for covid extensions? I heard that rule is 30 days for covid extensions but reality is much different. Jomtien immigration didn't allow me to apply two weeks in advance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember reading in a announcement from immigrations that covid extensions were not going to be given to those already on covid extensions but I can’t find it. 

I will be going in a week or so to try and get one, I have read similar experiences with people not being able to get one and having to use an agent. 

1 minute ago, zugzug123 said:

Nope, 60 days covid extensions.

Haven't see a report of anyone obtaining CE 45 days prior to their current permission of stay. 

As for the other current thread you shared the link....thanks.

Hadn't seen that one.

As always some offices are being difficult. Places such as Hua Hin requiring an embassy letter etc etc.

Strange how at those very offices the covid extension can be obtained via agent.

In the case of 2 friends 5,500baht each at Hua Hin to jump the embassy letter nonsense. Note was their first covid extension having entered visa exempt. 

In the case of another guy he paid 12k to well know agent after failing at 2 different offices.

Apparently he "had been here too long"

3 minutes ago, Alldar said:

Which immigration office is accepting 45 days in advance for covid extensions? I heard that rule is 30 days for covid extensions but reality is much different. Jomtien immigration didn't allow me to apply two weeks in advance.

I'm pretty sure the rule is 45 days, IOs following that rule or not is a different matter. 

1 minute ago, zugzug123 said:

I'm pretty sure the rule is 45 days, IOs following that rule or not is a different matter. 

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. 

However not important. 

What is important is for people to be able to be issued covid extension without having to pay and use an agent.

Never shall greasy money opportunity slip by immigration. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

Thanks for the positive report.. lately there have been more reports of people being turned down, glad to see IOs are still actually doing their job. 

And some are doing overtime by way of imposing "issue tax"

Attached from a couple that were applying for first covid extension having arrived visa exempt.

Screenshot_20220228-190142.jpg

• Sad 2

Thanks for all the helpful replies. So it seems to be quite inconsistent as usual, but as Dr Jack said, should not be an issue for someone on a TR visa as they are allowing covid extensions until March 25. Also, this would only be my 2nd covid extension and I do have a paid flight back to Europe if that is needed – or that's for the end of June but I guess better change the date to May just in case they ask for a flight ticket. Other than that I guess no extra paperwork is needed (same papers as for any TR visa extension + what they ask to sign at the counter)?

Good to know that I can go to apply a few weeks earlier and get the new stamp running from the date the previous one expires. That concerned be because last time I lost like 10 days when extending from my TR visa to Covid extension. I think I'll be going to Chaeng Watthana about 12 days before my current covid stamp expires. Hope everything goes well! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

. I think I'll be going to Chaeng Watthana about 12 days before my current covid stamp expires

Thinking that's a good plan.

Haven't seen any reports re request of outbound flight since Jan 25. Hopefully that game has stopped. 

I would not change your current flight from end of June. 

You could consider rent a flight. 

Good luck. 

Edited by DrJack54

10 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks for all the helpful replies. So it seems to be quite inconsistent as usual, but as Dr Jack said, should not be an issue for someone on a TR visa as they are allowing covid extensions until March 25. Also, this would only be my 2nd covid extension and I do have a paid flight back to Europe if that is needed – or that's for the end of June but I guess better change the date to May just in case they ask for a flight ticket. Other than that I guess no extra paperwork is needed (same papers as for any TR visa extension + what they ask to sign at the counter)?

Good to know that I can go to apply a few weeks earlier and get the new stamp running from the date the previous one expires. That concerned be because last time I lost like 10 days when extending from my TR visa to Covid extension. I think I'll be going to Chaeng Watthana about 12 days before my current covid stamp expires. Hope everything goes well! 

Good luck, and if you have time, please update us how well it goes afterwards! ????

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 9:04 AM, DrJack54 said:

Thinking that's a good plan.

Haven't seen any reports re request of outbound flight since Jan 25. Hopefully that game has stopped. 

I would not change your current flight from end of June. 

You could consider rent a flight. 

Good luck. 

Thanks! I wouldn't want to change the flight but I don't see much options of staying after this 60 day covid extension if they don't continue the covid extension beyond March 25. I mean if apply for this covid extension now it will allow me to stay until about May 15 so I guess it's just wise to change the flight to that date (airlines offer unlimited changes so won't lose anything by doing that.)

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 5:49 PM, dj230 said:

I remember reading in a announcement from immigrations that covid extensions were not going to be given to those already on covid extensions but I can’t find it. 

1238866989_Covidextensions.jpg.35ffa52dc958ac76149124c8683305d9.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dj230 said:

yes this exact one @ubonjoeany comment on the last paragraph?

"At the end of the 60-day period for permission to stay in the kingdom, this time they must leave the country."

I am not sure that is a real immigration announcement. I have seen nothing like it on their websites for Facebook pages.

Look at the lower right corner of it at the source of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure that is a real immigration announcement. I have seen nothing like it on their websites for Facebook pages.

Look at the lower right corner of at the source of it.

That whole announcement is very vague and doesn't state that holders of TR visa can't apply for a second covid extension. I mean we all know it that there are many people on their 7th or 8th covid extension. Have there been any reports from Chaeng Watthana about TR visa holders being denied the newest covid extension?

Well I'll find out next week, but this will be only my second covid extension so I hope it's just as simple as any extension. Last time they didn't ask anything and I was out of there in 10min (because had booked a time). 

11 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Well I'll find out next week, but this will be only my second covid extension so I hope it's just as simple as any extension

It should be straight forward.

Please report back with your experience.

Have not read any reports recently regarding covid extensions. 

Many folk are looking for current updates. 

42 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It should be straight forward.

Please report back with your experience.

Have not read any reports recently regarding covid extensions. 

Many folk are looking for current updates. 

Will do. I'm also wondering why we're not seeing many reports on this. I would have thought it's going to be the hot topic as usual. Perhaps it's been a smooth process for most meaning not much discussion needed.

The next big questions is would they extend it beyond March 25?

I arrived visa exempt and did the 30 day extension which expires 14 March. Did the 60 day covid extension today in Jomtien (so 12 days left before expiry). The only thing the IO did was circle my copy of the visa exempt entry and 30 day extension stamps. Just ticked all other pages without even reading them.

I was worried about the affadavit as I ticked box 1 thinking that was due to ongoing covid. When I actually read it, it says "your country will not let you enter due to ongoing covid". That's obviously not true so ticked box 2 about embassy won't issue letter, but why would they if box 1 is not true? Anyway my affadavit had a cross on box 1 and tick in box 2 and IO didn't care (or notice)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2022 at 5:56 PM, zugzug123 said:

I've read it several times and also my local office in Samut Prakan told me so, still for OP it should be fine to apply in the coming days. 

What's samut prakan immigration like for covid extensions?

Just now, Daithi85 said:

What's samut prakan immigration like for covid extensions?

Couldn't tell you as I was not able to obtain there one ???? I was sent away because I was lacking some document, and when I said that my extension is running out soon and I don't have enough time to get that document, he shrugged and said I can apply 45 days in advance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

Couldn't tell you as I was not able to obtain there one ???? I was sent away because I was lacking some document, and when I said that my extension is running out soon and I don't have enough time to get that document, he shrugged and said I can apply 45 days in advance.

OK, good man thank u. 

2 hours ago, zugzug123 said:

What extra document did they ask for then? You had entered on a TR visa right? So if they didn't extend what did you do then if I may ask? They give 7 days to leave the country or?

This all seems to be very odd like aussieexpat said there. Obviously nobody can claim anymore that they want to extend because their country is locked up nor get any kind of embassy letter. I would assume that the toughest request from the immigration would be to show a departure flight ticket. Oh well, seems really inconsistent as usual. 

• Like 1