Covid extension issues?

On 3/13/2022 at 2:23 PM, ubonjoe said:

The current order for the 60 day covid 19 extensions ends on the 25th of this month. If extended  for another 2 months you could apply for one in April.

You could try to apply for one shortly before the 25th but most immigration offices would not do it that early.

Is there any news yet if the covid extension would be extended again after Mar 25? Have't heard anything about it and it's just 5 days away. Anyway, if it's not extended I'm fine to travel out of TH in the end of May when my current CE stamp expires but if they do extend it again will gladly stay until end of June. 

Just now, ChomDo said:

Is there any news yet if the covid extension would be extended again after Mar 25? Have't heard anything about it and it's just 5 days away. Anyway, if it's not extended I'm fine to travel out of TH in the end of May when my current CE stamp expires but if they do extend it again will gladly stay until end of June. 

They always leave it until the very last minute. Day before or even day of at times. The "free" amnesty was announced even after the deadline when many had already left the country or sought Education/Volunteer visas which was actually recommended by someone in immigration for people who needed/wanted to stay longer if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

I’m in the same boat, I don’t mind having to leave at the end of April when my extension runs out as I could do with a trip home. But it’s more convenient for me to stay another couple of months.

Let’s see what happens. I reckon there will be another extension 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Let’s see what happens. I reckon there will be another extension 

Immigration have already announced further 60 day Covid extensions will only be available to those with original VE or TV entries, but only if you can provide a valid reason why you can't return home. Embassy letters have already been requested for this purpose.
A friend who's 60 day Covid extension expired yesterday (19th) went to Sakhon Nakhon Immigration on 17th and was refused.
Married to a Thai he intended to transfer 400K. apply for Non O, 1 year extension, but was counting on a further 60 day extension.

He's now got flights booked back to the UK 21st and will pay 1,000 baht overstay fine at the airport. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Immigration have already announced further 60 day Covid extensions will only be available to those with original VE or TV entries, but only if you can provide a valid reason why you can't return home. Embassy letters have already been requested for this purpose.
A friend who's 60 day Covid extension expired yesterday (19th) went to Sakhon Nakhon Immigration on 17th and was refused.
Married to a Thai he intended to transfer 400K. apply for Non O, 1 year extension, but was counting on a further 60 day extension.

He's now got flights booked back to the UK 21st and will pay 1,000 baht overstay fine at the airport. 

I'm talking about a new extension after Mar 25. There has been no word on that yet. That would mean covid extensions allowed until May 25 or something like that.

That's a real shame that people get denied in some immigration offices. In Chaeng Watthana it's always been a smooth process with no questions asked – as it should be since there's no more embassy letter options for any country really or any other covid related reason except just wanting to stay here longer. 

Well I hope they extend it one more time so I can stick to my original flight in June. Of course if simple visa runs would be available again in a few months time, that would be an option. Just seems unlikely due to the panicking going on in this country. All neighbouring countries are opening up but TH keeps being stuck with all the bogus entry requirements.

On 3/3/2022 at 4:22 PM, orchis said:

got a covid extension monday after extended visa exempt, 1900 thb, tm 7, copies, no embassy doc needed, had to sign a few releases. lamphun office.

Hi @orchis, Did you get 60 days from the day you applied or 60 days on top of your original end date? No under consideration stamp? 

We're now in Mae Rim (Chiang Mai) - looking for an immigration office that can give our second covid extension without hassle. We're planning on driving south in a couple of days - so we rather not get an under-consideration stamp.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:53 PM, BritTim said:

Officially, you only need to report if either (i) you change your permanent address; or (ii) you return to Thailand using a fresh visa (no new TM30 required if using a re-entry permit). However, many immigration officials do not know the current rules. This is irritating, but it is a mistake to argue, and you need to react to what the official erroneously believes to be the rules when necessary.

That is because you are incorrect. Every time you change residence, you must report it in 24 hours. While they tend to overlook it for local one-nighters, those are the rules. Bangkok to Chiang Mai will require you to file a new TM30. It has been that way for a long time. The only change recently was eliminating the TM-28.

Edited by cjinchiangrai

43 minutes ago, EdwinNL said:

Hi @orchis, Did you get 60 days from the day you applied or 60 days on top of your original end date? No under consideration stamp? 

We're now in Mae Rim (Chiang Mai) - looking for an immigration office that can give our second covid extension without hassle. We're planning on driving south in a couple of days - so we rather not get an under-consideration stamp.

with consideration stamp, confirmed 2 weeks later.

21 minutes ago, orchis said:

with consideration stamp, confirmed 2 weeks later.

Many offices have a report back date for covid extension.

It's refered to as under consideration period.

Similar to extensions based on marriage. 

49 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

That is because you are incorrect. Every time you change residence, you must report it in 24 hours. While they tend to overlook it for local one-nighters, those are the rules. Bangkok to Chiang Mai will require you to file a new TM30. It has been that way for a long time. The only change recently was eliminating the TM-28.

Hopefully, someone will post the announcement from a year  or so ago where the TM30 rules were changed. I cannot be bothered to search for it now.

EDIT: I decided to take a quick look at the pinned topic on immigration laws etc., and the announcement is linked there. This is the English translation: https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=689586

The important change is this:

2.2 After a householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager already made a notification according to 2.1, then the alien goes to occasionally stay somewhere else and return to stay at the original place within the notified period of stay tahat has not yet ended, such householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager is not required to make a notification again. The alien mentioned in paragraph 1 shall include any alien receiving a multiply entry visa who departs the Kingdom and returns within the validity of visa and any alien permitted to re-enter into the Kingdom with a valid re-entry permit. 

Edited by BritTim

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Many offices have a report back date for covid extension.

It's refered to as under consideration period.

Similar to extensions based on marriage. 

yes, that's exactly what I described, duh.

1 hour ago, EdwinNL said:

Bangkok does not do the under consideration. If they approve, they stamp the 60 days straight away.

47 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Absolutely incorrect.

Do some research. 

1 minute ago, orchis said:

yes, that's exactly what I described, duh.

Thanks Orchis. That's a shame. We also got one on our previous covid extension (Sri Racha). Since we're doing some sort of Roadtrip we would prefer no under consideration stamp that gives us more flexibility. Maybe easiest to stop in Bangkok... 

4 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Bangkok does not do the under consideration. If they approve, they stamp the 60 days straight away.

Yeah thinking that might be the easiest indeed. Was hoping there was an other option somewhere between Chiang Mai and Bangkok. In Bangkok you mean The Government Complex Building B (Chaeng Watthana)?

5 minutes ago, EdwinNL said:

Yeah thinking that might be the easiest indeed. Was hoping there was an other option somewhere between Chiang Mai and Bangkok. In Bangkok you mean The Government Complex Building B (Chaeng Watthana)?

If you entered Thailand on visa exempt you would attend Mueang Thong Thani.

If entered with visa you attend CW. 

Alternative is to use agent to avoid under consideration period. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you entered Thailand on visa exempt you would attend Mueang Thong Thani.

If entered with visa you attend CW. 

Alternative is to use agent to avoid under consideration period. 

Thanks. We've entered with a 60 day Tourist Visa and got our first 30 days extension at CW. So same place... thanks!

2 minutes ago, EdwinNL said:

Thanks. We've entered with a 60 day Tourist Visa and got our first 30 days extension at CW. So same place... thanks!

Yes attend CW.

Not aware of expiry of your current permit.

Attend CW asap if wanting a covid extension. 

Good luck. 

The immigration office I use told me they send the covid-19 extensions paperwork to Khon Kaen Immigration for a decision. I'm guessing all offices have to submit to their regional head office for approval. It's a guess on my part but worth ringing Khon Kaen to see if they stamp 60 days the same as Bangkok do.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes attend CW.

Not aware of expiry of your current permit.

Attend CW asap if wanting a covid extension. 

Good luck. 

We've entered mid November on 60 days tourist visa. Got a 30 day extension at CW. And a first covid extension in Sri Racha - that's still valid till mid April. Will try to arrange it this week. Wouldn't risk it to wait after the 25th.

8 hours ago, EdwinNL said:

We've entered mid November on 60 days tourist visa. Got a 30 day extension at CW. And a first covid extension in Sri Racha - that's still valid till mid April. Will try to arrange it this week. Wouldn't risk it to wait after the 25th.

For sure go this week.

Mid April so approx 20 days till expiry.

Immigration should/hopefully give you another covid extension.

9 hours ago, rbkk said:

The immigration office I use told me they send the covid-19 extensions paperwork to Khon Kaen Immigration for a decision. I'm guessing all offices have to submit to their regional head office for approval. It's a guess on my part but worth ringing Khon Kaen to see if they stamp 60 days the same as Bangkok do.

The are sent to the Immigration Division 4 headquarters for approval. The Khon Kaen immigration office has nothing to do with the approval.

I you applied a the Khon Kaen immigration office it would be the same as any other office in the Northeast.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

This TM30 rule is so insane that I just give hotels in other provinces my local driving licence at check in so that they won't do any reporting which would make me have to do a new TM30 every time I leave Bangkok. I'm talking about short trips/holidays out of town. 

Of course doing the TM30 online is not a big deal when the website works, but you wouldn't want to rely on that.

8 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

This TM30 rule is so insane that I just give hotels in other provinces my local driving licence at check in so that they won't do any reporting which would make me have to do a new TM30 every time I leave Bangkok. I'm talking about short trips/holidays out of town

You don't need to do a TM30 at all.

Even if you stayed in a hotel and they made a TM30 it's irrelevant.

You only need to do a TM30 if you change your address.

Also if you enter Thailand with new visa or visa exempt.

TM30 is not even required if you exit Thailand and subsequently reenter with a reentry permit. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't need to do a TM30 at all.

Even if you stayed in a hotel and they made a TM30 it's irrelevant.

You only need to do a TM30 if you change your address.

Also if you enter Thailand with new visa or visa exempt.

TM30 is not even required if you exit Thailand and subsequently reenter with a reentry permit. 

So it should be but I guess some immi officers just don't know this. I got into a bit of trouble last time because I traveled upcountry a few months ago and one hotel had reported my address. From now on I will insist not giving hotels my passport to avoid this hassle. Depends on the hotel – mostly they are fine with DL.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The are sent to the Immigration Division 4 headquarters for approval. The Khon Kaen immigration office has nothing to do with the approval.

I you applied a the Khon Kaen immigration office it would be the same as any other office in the Northeast.

Immigration Division 4 headquarters is in Khon Kaen though! 

https://division4.immigration.go.th/

https://division4.immigration.go.th/contact-us/