Biometric ID machine to enter Bangkok building.

JimmyJ

Went into a large building in Bangkok to use the ATM in the lobby.

The guard stopped me and had me stand in a certain spot.

Was in a hurry and preoccupied and assumed it was to get a temperature reading.

Instead it seemed to be a biometric device which put on outline around my body on its TV screen and then signalled (OK/Done something like that).

I  regret having participated like a sheeple and will be more careful in the future.

But what was the point?

It was not a Gov't. building which required me to show ID to enter.

They have a biometric shot of me without seeing my ID.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

The Makro infrared thing just outlines my head with a green square and shows temperature.

Where do you take the idea that your "biometrics"(!) are recorded(!).

Do you think it's connected to immigration, interpol, FBI, CIA....?

Whole body does not make much sense.

The face is the base.

Ouch! Makro records my biometrics :biggrin:

When next time they send me someone to fill the cart with "my" stuff I will be sure.

These cameras are at so many places, just that YOU don't see the screen but only the security staff. E.g. at airports exits, entries.

At Central also but you don't see any result screen.

A mate was alarmed about such a thing at our local LOTUS.

They record me!!

I told him: use the other entrance where the simple infrared thermometer is out of order since months :>>)

Edited by KhunBENQ

I see a lot of the "Put your hand out" that measures temperature and displays the result.

AS stated, I thought initially it's to get my temperature.

The explanations above,

make sense except why outline my entire body which seemed to be "you're standing now in the correct spot".

Why not just forehead?

The hand temperature machine is so much easier and the machine has to be so much cheaper.

Glad it was just for a Covid temperature but so much.more complex than the previous methods.

I had this went visiting an upmarket condo building in central London last summer. I was only there to collect an item. The reception desk/security gurd asked me to look into an iPad type device fixed to the desk. Initially I tought it was a temperature check (which it may have been) but when it scanned my face and displayed "stranger" I knew it was something more sinister. I told them to delete my biometric data and he simply gave me a card of the building data controller and told me to contact them. Clearly it was facial recognition. As they didn't have any other details such as ID, name, DOB etc. I let it go. Be warned this is only the beginning of more widespread tracking and surveillance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I see a lot of the "Put your hand out" that measures temperature and displays the result.

AS stated, I thought initially it's to get my temperature.

The explanations above,

make sense except why outline my entire body which seemed to be "you're standing now in the correct spot".

Why not just forehead?

The hand temperature machine is so much easier and the machine has to be so much cheaper.

Glad it was just for a Covid temperature but so much.more complex than the previous methods.

I also believe that those scanners also capture the face of the customer just in case there is an outbreak of people catching Covid in the building and they need to trace back to the source.

Sometimes, the guard might be half-sleepy, distracted or gone to the toilet when an infected customer comes in.

Edited by EricTh

48 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I believe there is more to it than just checking temperature.

Next time I see this I will not participate but will copy whatever info I can spot, and research it.

Seriously?

14 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Be warned this is only the beginning of more widespread tracking and surveillance.

@JimmyJ meet @soi3eddie

• Haha 2

This country can hardly handle proper biometrics at the immigration checkpoints (where it is clearly labeled as such).

And you think that the local Makro, Lotus, Central stores your face biometrics and then?

Compare it to what? Get your real ID from the Chinese, from Mark, from where?

Sorry but this threads drifts toward conspiracy stuff.

Have you covered your notebook camera (like Mark does) and smartphone punch-hole?

If not you should not worry about cameras in Thailand.

And maybe you should open your eyes to see the zillions of cameras in this country who go unnoticed.

It's not (yet) China where your nightmare is reality.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Too much tinfoil hat.

As above, Thai's like to parade their tech savy, but it's all for show most of it doesn't work after the first breakdown.

Example:

Everyone is familiar with the airport scanner that detects metal that you walk through.

I've got a 20cm long piece of titanium in my right hip due to a hip replacement.

I've flown out of Udon Thani at least 50 times where I lived for many years, commuting to work.

I've NEVER had that scanner go off, Why? because it doesn't work.

Every other scanner in every other airport does go off when I walk through it.

It is security theatre, just like the temperature theatre

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

But my belt buckle is detected reliably.

I hate taking the belt off.

Let them check manually.

I recall while in transit at ATL, a vertically challenged TSA operative getting really, really agitated when I tried to explain that my pants belt and buckle was fabric and composite and clearly one of those sold on airline malls, specifically for frequent fliers and to make security (and the TSA's job) easier.

"Take if off! Place it in the tray. NOW!"

Incensed that I had disturbed her right to harass people relentlessly, she then insisted I take all my carry-on items, long since emptied from my TSA-approved backpack over to a secondary inspection desk. As I shuffled over to the desk with my tray, and as she had been advised in advance, my oversized, TSA-approved tactical pants slipped down around my ankles. I kept on waddling over as she screamed, "Sir! Sir! Pick up your pants sir!" Luckily, I wasn't in full commando mode (I learned earlier how TSA secondary inspections can be unforgivingly public events) so I asked if she could help me do that. Eventually one of the more amenable male TSA guys with a big grin on his face took my tray off me so I could regain my decorum.

But I agree, the belts off rule is a nonsense. Schiphol security are particularly arseholey about this as well but usually I have all the time in the world so I suggest straight away that I'm not undressing and they need to do a pat down instead.

• Like 1

In a public place, you have no right to privacy.  I just hope they would do facial recognition, and put away some of the dangerous criminals walking among us.

I'm actually against all 'invasion of privacy' devices, but reality what it is, they are here to stay, and even be used more, so at least make it productive to our safety.  Not just something to be used against us, for their convenience.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, tonray said:

That's why I'm never giving up my Covid mask

Yes, so strange in the past, you couldn't enter a bank with mask, helmet, or even sunglasses on.   Now a mask is almost mandatory ... ????

Just now, KhunLA said:

Yes, so strange in the past, you couldn't enter a bank with mask, helmet, or even sunglasses on.   Now a mask is almost mandatory ... ????

I just wear it because I'm afraid of being accused of being too "handsum"....

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Then you will probably not get into where you were going! 

Agree.

I will go elsewhere.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

In a public place, you have no right to privacy.  I just hope they would do facial recognition, and put away some of the dangerous criminals walking among us.

I'm actually against all 'invasion of privacy' devices, but reality what it is, they are here to stay, and even be used more, so at least make it productive to our safety.  Not just something to be used against us, for their convenience.

"I'm actually against all 'invasion of privacy' devices..."

followed by 35 words justifying using it = "I'm actually against all 'invasion of privacy' devices, except the ones I'm not."

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

"I'm actually against all 'invasion of privacy' devices..."

followed by 35 words justifying using it = "I'm actually against all 'invasion of privacy' devices, except the ones I'm not."

I'm against a lot of things, but accept there's nothing I can do about them.   Just wish they would put them, whatever, taxes or invasive tech, to something that will benefit the ones being taxed or invaded.   

Use my taxes for social programs, not a private security force for corporations around the world.

If collecting facial recognition from everyone, track & arrest the violent criminals.

Not too much to ask.