Recommendations On Returning To Thailand

Hello, I vacated Thailand right when the pandemic hit after living there for approx 5 years. I was always planning to return but just can't get myself motivated to do so. I feel like I'm just doing it out of routine and lack of affordable alternatives, or that I have changed to much and it won't be a fit like it was.

This is a personal decision, but does anyone have recommendations on whether it was worth returning for you, after a prolonged absence 2+ years and if you were able to adjust back in and be happy as before if you left and were away.

3 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I certainly notice this when I go to a hospital. Normally the Thais all crowd together in the limited seating when waiting. If I sit down, the seats either side of me are vacated immediately or remain empty. 

In regard to returning to Thailand, personally I think one can never go back and should keep moving forward. Whether it's a girlfriend/wife, job, country or location. don't go back and do the same thing again. Do or go somewhere different.

True that. However try a different city. Thailand is vast. South lot different from north. Or Cambodia or Phils.

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If I were free and clear I'd probably ...

... be peeking elsewhere, playing nomadic life.   Though not so easy if unvax'd.  Or required to wear a mask on a plane for Buddha knows how long.   I'd probably be touring the Amercas on a motorcycle or coverted van (RV style).

If not deeply rooted here, actually finishing up a house build, with wife.  Daughter, living away from us in Krung Thep,  I'd possibly be elsewhere, especially if single or no daughter.   Wife would go where ever I decide, which is an issue, since Thai PP is travel friendly.

If not here, I defnitely wouldn't come here as a tourist.  Surprised I ever did, but that was a fluke and 20+ yrs ago.  Probably give it a pass as a long stay, retirement destination also.

But if already here as a single person, I wouldn't leave, unless back to the Americas.  Rest of the world doesn't interest me for a holiday or a long stay.

Edited by KhunLA

Guest Isaanlife

Our plane departs in 5 days.

We will not return to live.

Despite having a marvelous life in Isaan, we both made the decision to move back.

Thai Wife is US citizen so no issues.

We are both looking forward to it.

Sad to say goodbye to the family, but it is what it is.

I am sure it will take some getting use to but we are ready.

I also had it finely today after living here 5 years and fulltime since covid started! visiting Thailand for soon 20 years. 

I would not choose Thailand today! Enough is enough! My plan to live here 10 more years continue since to much invested already. 

Mostly because of political reasons and deleted mentality among thais when it comes to logic basic things. 

Not to forget it is burning seasons to and the hot season starts. I might wake up tomorow with a better outlook on it, at least I can hope

Edited by Hummin

On 3/1/2022 at 12:36 AM, fulhamster said:

You are experiencing that Thais believe what Anutin has told them -- all foreigners are full of covid.

I am lucky if my neighbours get within 10 yards of me for fear of catching something that I don't have.

And my wife believes that all foreigners have covid full stop, and is reluctant to allow any visitors past the front gate.I would throw her in the Street , Farang  quit taking their BS , <deleted> 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:36 PM, fulhamster said:

You are experiencing that Thais believe what Anutin has told them -- all foreigners are full of covid.

I am lucky if my neighbours get within 10 yards of me for fear of catching something that I don't have.

And my wife believes that all foreigners have covid full stop, and is reluctant to allow any visitors past the front gate.

Rubbish. The Thais dont believe this government. I have not come across any wariness as described.  I am clean and dress nicely. So many farangs here dress worse than homeless beggars, smell and look sweat stained and greasy..As for some wives using covid as pretext to control their husbands forming friendships...that I can believe..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 12:39 PM, San Fran Dan said:

Been gone 8 months dying to get back , San Francisco prices , Luckily  I own house 

I had the same experience. Wanted to leave badly. So did my Thai wife, last year. We went to LA and Mexico, for over 2 months. Could not wait to get back. We felt like we were bleeding cash back there. Prices on nearly everything have skyrocketed. And if you do not own a house or condo in the US, forget about it. Rents are insane. What someone pays 10,000 to 15,000 baht for here, costs $3,500 a month back there, in an OK neighborhood. God forbid you need your toilet repaired. Hard to get an hour of a plumbers time for under $350! Since when are tradesmen paid the same as psychiatrists? 

Sheer insanity. We are happy staying here, after that sticker shock!

Edited by spidermike007