Thailand will not rush to condemn Russia over Ukraine, says Foreign Minister Don

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Thunglom said:

The people of Russia should take a look at who's on their side - and be aware of their world reputation.

But to be able to do that, they have to be able to see ther real news.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Millcx said:

By sitting on the fence Thailand and their cowardly officials will pay dearly when dust settles

the rest of World will not forget what they are doing

TAT won’t save them with their propaganda 

I am sorry to say I do not believe that will be so. 

If Russia pulled out today, even they would be quite quickly forgiven and the world queueing at their door to do business, especially for energy sources. Always about the money. 

Such requirements may well be part of a deal.

Edited by jacko45k

On 3/1/2022 at 7:20 PM, Sparktrader said:

Trade deals, big baht for Thailand. Of course it is smart.

Condemning achieves nothing.

Unqualified condemnation certainly does not - though simply condemning military intervention in this case seems right.

Condemning the use of MLRS delivering vacuum bombs also highlights that we aren't talking about a 'civilised war' here.

What I also see here is that this war is doing a lot to highlight the fact that it's MOST important aspect is that it apparently involves caucasians. Building sympathies based on this being a 'European war'.

Comments about Europe 'welcoming Ukrainian refugees' whilst non-white people have apparently been turned back at the borders... many of us know that Indians, Arabs and people of colour are rather less entitled... less human. People of Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa are obviously not as white as the Ukrainians.

When Ukraine became am independent state in 1991 it inherited a huge stock of USSR nuclear weapons that had been stored on the Ukraine's land ( formerly Soviet Union land ) . Ukraine was persuaded to denuclearise in 1994 with the assurance that  if they destroyed their nuclear weapons and be party to the  Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons ,  they would receive military help under the Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances  which was made up by the following countries , Russia , UK , USA , Ukraine . Now totally ignored . 

Indeed the free world should be ashamed of leaving Ukraine to fight the mighty Russian troops alone , I am really hoping that we send troops to help and not just sanctions . People are dying as of today . Stop them now and after contain the country . BTW , we cannot generalise on Russians , as there will be many good people , as shown recently on TV . 

It is my belief that Thailand will stand neutral and will leave all the doors open to all countries who wish to trade with them .  Having said that , Thailand & China cannot be criticised for abstaining when we have the likes of Boris saying in the House of Commons yesterday that Russia has committed war crimes by using cluster and vacuum bombs and also targeting civilians . Yet the UK are supplying arms to the Ukrainians but stop short of sending in forces . The west is guilty of neglect and cowardice when watching Hitler mark 2 ( Putin ) destroy a desperate nation .  Biden is just as guilty , with all his rhetoric , siding and then applauding the Ukraine ambassador to the U.S.A. , same as BJ did yesterday in the HOC . I watched the morning BBC news yesterday when a Ukrainian lady was being interviewed on line and at the end of her talk she swore saying fxxx you . There followed an apology from Dan Walker ( sat in a warm studio drinking hot tea ) for the bad language but I thought she was right to let her plead be heard in the strongest way . I do not condone swearing on early morning TV but in this case we were watching and listening to a very desperate lady who could be near to death from Putins forces .

Russia will have certain countries that will be in its alliance because of potential future trade or the concern over departing from the communist belief in the way of living .

1 hour ago, superal said:

When Ukraine became am independent state in 1991 it inherited a huge stock of USSR nuclear weapons that had been stored on the Ukraine's land ( formerly Soviet Union land ) . Ukraine was persuaded to denuclearise in 1994 with the assurance that  if they destroyed their nuclear weapons and be party to the  Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons ,  they would receive military help under the Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances  which was made up by the following countries , Russia , UK , USA , Ukraine . Now totally ignored . 

Indeed the free world should be ashamed of leaving Ukraine to fight the mighty Russian troops alone , I am really hoping that we send troops to help and not just sanctions . People are dying as of today . Stop them now and after contain the country . BTW , we cannot generalise on Russians , as there will be many good people , as shown recently on TV . 

It is my belief that Thailand will stand neutral and will leave all the doors open to all countries who wish to trade with them .  Having said that , Thailand & China cannot be criticised for abstaining when we have the likes of Boris saying in the House of Commons yesterday that Russia has committed war crimes by using cluster and vacuum bombs and also targeting civilians . Yet the UK are supplying arms to the Ukrainians but stop short of sending in forces . The west is guilty of neglect and cowardice when watching Hitler mark 2 ( Putin ) destroy a desperate nation .  Biden is just as guilty , with all his rhetoric , siding and then applauding the Ukraine ambassador to the U.S.A. , same as BJ did yesterday in the HOC . I watched the morning BBC news yesterday when a Ukrainian lady was being interviewed on line and at the end of her talk she swore saying fxxx you . There followed an apology from Dan Walker ( sat in a warm studio drinking hot tea ) for the bad language but I thought she was right to let her plead be heard in the strongest way . I do not condone swearing on early morning TV but in this case we were watching and listening to a very desperate lady who could be near to death from Putins forces .

Russia will have certain countries that will be in its alliance because of potential future trade or the concern over departing from the communist belief in the way of living .

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but we must admit and accept a very great risk of nuclear exchange  if we take a stance that sees us move into an attack position against Russia,  in a none NATO country.  I do agree that this madman is as dangerous as Hitler or Stalin.  We did okay on the first, albeit too late,  but failed on the second.  We must not let the third, Putin, follow the same path, but I suspect that we will drop the ball.  I am not a war monger, but this may be the time to risk all, in the defense of freedom, but I doubt that will happen.  Wasn't it a great time to ban cluster munitions', low yield nuclear land mines, battlefield tactical nuclear weapons and depleted uranium cannon shells for ground attack aircraft.  The west are truly a naïve bunch of morons when it comes to the military and who pays the price, the poor bloody infantry and civilians, while politicians hide in their bunkers .  Cynical, you bet I am. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but we must admit and accept a very great risk of nuclear exchange  if we take a stance that sees us move into an attack position against Russia,  in a none NATO country.  I do agree that this madman is as dangerous as Hitler or Stalin.  We did okay on the first, albeit too late,  but failed on the second.  We must not let the third, Putin, follow the same path, but I suspect that we will drop the ball.  I am not a war monger, but this may be the time to risk all, in the defense of freedom, but I doubt that will happen.  Wasn't it a great time to ban cluster munitions', low yield nuclear land mines, battlefield tactical nuclear weapons and depleted uranium cannon shells for ground attack aircraft.  The west are truly a naïve bunch of morons when it comes to the military and who pays the price, the poor bloody infantry and civilians, while politicians hide in their bunkers .  Cynical, you bet I am. 

Unfortunately Russia is not party to the ban on cluster bombs along with the Ukraine and the USA , my Google search tells me and also there are no bans on the vacuum bombs but if used against civilians that becomes a war crime . 

11 hours ago, Thunglom said:

The people of Russia should take a look at who's on their side - and be aware of their world reputation.

I think they're getting message now that they've become a pariah nation like North Korea.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

But to be able to do that, they have to be able to see ther real news.

We know that even blanket cen=sorship is circumventable. There are already demos in Russia against the law/ even in Russia they might notice they are barred from a lot of sport and they've sold Chelsea.

Edited by Thunglom

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

especially for energy sources.

Which actually is just about the only thing the Russian economy has going for it.

Russia does not have a normal healthy economy, it has one of the biggest rich poor divides in the world. Run by those who rely on oil for their stellar wealth.

this is an economy built on sand.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

A quote from the Nuremberg trials. “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to stand by and do nothing.” And how much have we learned since 1945? Tragically sad.

Slightly pedantic (as is my wont  ????) but that quote long predates Nuremberg https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/12/04/good-men-do/ although no-one is quite sure to whom it should be attributed. It is apposite here though.

Russians don't support the war, but I'm fast getting to the [oint where ALL Russians should be booted out of Thailand, barred from all venues etc etc - we need to show that the rest of the world is totally against them.

I have said this many times, corruption is preventing Thailand from advancing on the world stage. Also their draconian laws are so only the elite & wealthy benefit, very sad but I see the same in many countries. 

Edited by paul1804
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 9:05 PM, Thunglom said:

Russians don't support the war, but I'm fast getting to the [oint where ALL Russians should be booted out of Thailand, barred from all venues etc etc - we need to show that the rest of the world is totally against them.

War?

What war?

You mean the special peace keeping operation?

The saddest thing is listening to Ukrainian people in Ukraine, under fire, seeing the horrors all around them, and realizing the world doesn't care enough to risk nuclear war in order to help save them. They are 'throwaway people', and that has to hurt.

The little psychopath putin knows he can take Ukraine now, then go after Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania later, and the world will do little more than sanctions and send 'thoughts and prayers' along with some military aid. Yes, those Baltic nations are NATO members, and Article 5 demands all NATO members come to the defense of one member, but the world will not risk nuclear winter over Estonia. Sad reality.

Personally, if such invasions and horror are 'acceptable', I'm in favor of nuking russia and erasing it from the planet. Yes, that would mean nuclear winter and likely the extinction of the human species. So be it. Maybe cockroaches will evolve over the next billion years and produce something better than us.

Looking at this from another side, it seems clear putin fears dying. He fears both Covid and facing his own Brutus, which is why he sits 10 meters away from any other men. Like all autocrats and autocrat wannabes (we had one in my country until last year), putin is a coward. Thus, perhaps calling his bluff could get him to back down. Let him know russia will cease to exist as a nation, and unless his dacha is deep in the Urals, he would be vaporized.