Advice For Visa Runners who were on multiple covid extensions: Do not return as 'visa exempt'

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

"but their real goal is just to stay in Thailand,"  and just what is wrong with that? As long as they are behaving themselves and contributing to the Thai economy, I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is corruption . But if you see no problem in that all is ok 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can you point to report of someone paying bribe at airport upon entry. 

Can't say how credible but I recall reading multiple reports on this forum and others of people being taken to a room after trying to enter the country and someone hinting that things could go another way somehow.... this was quite awhile ago though...

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and just what is wrong with being a long-term stayer in Thailand? Why should it be so hard for a person under 50 to stay long-term in Thailand anyway? The Junta has done enough damage to the Thai economy by chasing away many decent retiree's because of immigration issues already.

That's up for another debate and another thread, another day, my friend.

Thailand just like every other countries in the World has to have some immigration rules, I understand that being a long-term stayer in Thailand prior to your 50s is not an easy path (for what it's worth, I also am in that situation), but it doesn't change the fact that it is THEIR country, THEIR rules and therefore should you be allowed entrance into the Kingdom, you are expected to follow THEIR rules and THEIR laws.

No amount of crying, complaining, whining, threatening, lobbying on these forums will get anything changed at the end of the day.

Allow me chime in;

Objectively speaking for things to change we would need a kickstart and much more has to be done than a Facebook post to complain and vent, to give you a rough example; there is an organization called the3million in the UK which advocates for EU citizens* in the UK, their goal is to protect the rights of EU citizens who are living in the UK, that organization does carry some weight, whenever they launch a campaign on a specific topic, the UKVI listens to what they have to say.

Now putting that in perspective, do you see any organization defending the rights of foreign citizens (expats) in Thailand? No you don't.

If you want to see a reform to the Thai immigration system, you need to form up your own organization, once you pass the 1 million expats signatures, you might have a better chance at getting a sensible immigration reform.

Until then, use a different visa route and if none applies to you then maybe Thailand isn't for you, it took me nearly 10 years to realise that, now I'm off to greener pastures, hopefully. I suggest you do the same.

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

The problem is corruption . But if you see no problem in that all is ok 

The whole country is corrupt especially since 2014 when the soldier posing as a PM took it at the point of a gun. If you can make corruption work for you then why not?

Just now, possum1931 said:

The whole country is corrupt especially since 2014 when the soldier posing as a PM took it at the point of a gun. If you can make corruption work for you then why not?

Another debate for another thread, another day.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and just what is wrong with being a long-term stayer in Thailand? Why should it be so hard for a person under 50 to stay long-term in Thailand anyway? The Junta has done enough damage to the Thai economy by chasing away many decent retiree's because of immigration issues already.

Absolutely NOTHING to do with the junta, unless you blame them for not changing the existing rules to suit under 50 farangs.

Has been as long as I can remember for most. Their country and they can let anyone they want to live in or not live in the country.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rott said:

Prior to Covid was it still enforced or did it go the way of the maximimum stay of 6 months pa if not on a long term permit.? 

The 180 day gig was short lived critter. I never took much notice tbh.

The visa exempt limit was in place prior to covid and can't see that won't continue when land borders open.

So yes 2 per calendar year land border entries.

The "calendar year" is important as it's easy to time in such a way as exempt entry with extension wash and repeat can give 4 months. 

Time that correctly and your into the next calendar year.

Wash and repeat again

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

Nailed it. Two hundred and fifty six times.

People who weren't in need, abused and misused those "emergency" extensions to retain themselves longer in the Kingdom than they should have and now they're crying being denied. The arrogance and irony of it all.

/thread

LOL...who's crying?  This post was not a sob story. It's a heads-up cautionary post to inform people what they may face in visa running. 

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Absolutely NOTHING to do with the junta, unless you blame them for not changing the existing rules to suit under 50 farangs.

Has been as long as I can remember for most. Their country and they can let anyone they want to live in or not live in the country.

"Has been as long as I can remember for most."  Not when I came here to stay in 2005, I run to the border every 90 days was all that was required. 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The 180 day gig was short lived critter. I never took much notice tbh.

The visa exempt limit was in place prior to covid and can't see that won't continue when land borders open.

So yes 2 per calendar year land border entries.

The "calendar year" is important as it's easy to time in such a way as exempt entry with extension wash and repeat can give 4 months. 

Time that correctly and your into the next calendar year.

Wash and repeat again

Again it depends again on which passport is being used... not all passports are equal.

12 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Excepted that they do, the immigration clowns (as you elegantly put it out) have every say and they always have the last word.

Not with me they don't, if they are in the wrong or trying to make things hard for you, then you let them know. I have done it twice, and came out on top both times. Only one thing, before you answer them back make sure you are 100% right.

Edited by possum1931

12 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

Again it depends again on which passport is being used... not all passports are equal.

That goes without saying.

I'm not about to include a qualifying statement on every post. 

The VISA EXEMPTION RULE allows tourists from 64 countries1 to enter Thailand without a visa. They are granted to stay a maximum of 30 days if they are entering Thailand via an international airport or entering through a land border checkpoint from neighboring countries.

Edited by DrJack54

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That goes without saying.

I'm not about to include a qualifying statement on every post. 

The VISA EXEMPTION RULE allows tourists from 64 countries1 to enter Thailand without a visa. They are granted to stay a maximum of 30 days if they are entering Thailand via an international airport or entering through a land border checkpoint from neighboring countries.

Your original post which I was replying to was stating that there would be a limit of 2 entries by land borders per calendar year, I'm afraid it is a false misleading statement at best, there is no such hardset rule that can be enforced by the Thai immigration. That is the part I was replying to, not the visa exemption rule bit.

11 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

Your original post which I was replying to was stating that there would be a limit of 2 entries by land borders per calendar year, I'm afraid it is a false misleading statement at best, there is no such hardset rule that can be enforced by the Thai immigration. That is the part I was replying to, not the visa exemption rule bit.

Your entitled to your opinion.

Nevermind that it's incorrect. 

BTW my post was referring to limit of 2 VISA EXEMPT land border entries per calendar year. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Your entitled to your opinion.

Nevermind that it's incorrect. 

How is it an opinion when it is a fact?

Please point me to the Thai immigration law order/rule that states there is a hard limit of 2 land border crossing/entries per calendar year and that limitation (should it even really exist) applies to every passports of every nations?

You'll have to excuse me if I'm not holding my breath.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NanaSomchai said:

How is it an opinion when it is a fact?

Please point me to the Thai immigration law order/rule that states there is a hard limit of 2 land border crossing/entries per calendar year and that limitation (should it even really exist) applies to every passports of every nations?

You'll have to excuse me if I'm not holding my breath.

Stop. 

There is a limit of 2 VISA EXEMPT entries via land borders per calendar year. 

(for the 64 countries I mentioned previously).

42 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Correct, but have you considered they don't want someone that isn't working, studying, retired or married living in Thailand? Their country their rules.

Fair enough. But set the rules then. If they don't like it set a clear limit. Because now there is none. You can legally enter on 1000 visa exempts per year if you want.

Having all these ifs and maybes and personal opinions is just retarded. When people board international flights, pay for insurance, hotels, pcr-tests++ they need to know whether they are qualified or not. How hard is that?

Then you have this land border only twice per year thing. What passports are exempt from that? Has anybody seen a list? Is it secret? Nobody has managed to find out in this thread so far. This would also be fairly important to know before you go?

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Stop. 

There is a limit of 2 VISA EXEMPT entries via land borders per calendar year. 

(for the 64 countries I mentioned previously).

Not what your original post stated.

Proof: Edited 37 minutes ago by DrJack54

Edited by NanaSomchai

31 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Then you have this land border only twice per year thing. What passports are exempt from that? Has anybody seen a list? Is it secret? Nobody has managed to find out in this thread so far. This would also be fairly important to know before you go?

Many countries (64 in fact) can enter Thailand visa exempt and be stamped in for 30 days. (some longer).

Those same people can enter Thailand via land borders visa exempt twice per calendar year.

Note this refers to visa exempt entry. 

They can also enter with a visa.

The visa exempt entries via air have no such limit..

The difficulty is that immigration can challenge back to back ongoing entries visa exempt.

Folk have been refused entry for this prior to covid.

Some airports worse than others.

In fact in recent years DMK seemed to have a crackdown regarding this. 

No idea what the future holds when travel becomes more simple. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Almost bounced you"?  What is that supposed to mean, was your documentation not in order?   They either allowed you in or they didn't.

Two immigration officers set me aside from the queue in to another shielded room where I was initially told "you can not enter, you come to often". Your reasoning, that because I was eventually let through two hours later that kind of process "is just fine" and (between the words) that I should shut up about it, is just nauseating. 

Please read my initialt statement: if Thailand would have a maximum limit of Tourist Visas, of course I would oblige to that rule. Secondly, if I use too many tourist visas my application should've been declined at the Thai Embassy which is the proper and first instance. 

All my documents were in order, don't be silly. I can't for my life understand why so many feel the honor to defend the total randomness of immigration at the airport. Chill out, I love Thailand as well - it doesn't mean I can't be critical of some processes. 

Edited by aldriglikvid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rott said:

A visa is not a 100% guarantee of entry to Thailand. Immigration at the port of entry make the final decision. Refusal is rare but does happen. 

Absolutely no one argues with the sovereignty and final decision of immigration at the port of entry, however - that Suvarnabhumi Immigration creates made up rules such as "too many tourist visas" is a well known image problem for the country. As it's a made up rule the decision to send home people (to a huge loss) is totally random and up to the mood of the officer. The right way to go about it is to either set up actual limits (they can be strict as hell, I wouldn't care less). That some tourists get kicked out for using 2 TVs in a row and some can use 6 without any issue (again, depending on the mood of the officer) is a problem, I can't for my life understand why you keep defending that policy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Absolutely no one argues with the sovereignty and final decision of immigration at the port of entry, however - that Suvarnabhumi Immigration creates made up rules such as "too many tourist visas" is a well known image problem for the country. As it's a made up rule the decision to send home people (to a huge loss) is totally random and up to the mood of the officer. The right way to go about it is to either set up actual limits (they can be strict as hell, I wouldn't care less). That some tourists get kicked out for using 2 TVs in a row and some can use 6 without any issue (again, depending on the mood of the officer) is a problem, I can't for my life understand why you keep defending that policy. 

"I keep defending that policy".????9

Wot you on about lad.? 

I have never defended it, I was just stating that it is the position. 

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Here is topic I posted in December of 2016 about the limit of 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year.

Thanks. That clears things up. Visa exempt is limited to two land border crossings per year. (with the exception of Malaysia it seems). Bilateral agreement has no such limit.