Russian and Ukrainian tourists in Thailand beginning to face financial transaction and travel problems due to sanctions, invasion

webfact

8 minutes ago, Scott said:

There was indeed discussion between Mr. Baker and the Soviet leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev in the months after the fall of the Berlin Wall about limiting NATO jurisdiction if East and West Germany were reunited, no such provision was included in the final treaty signed by the Americans, Europeans and Russians.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/09/us/politics/russia-ukraine-james-baker.html

The convenient term discussion were in fact promises made by world leaders.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:18 PM, billd766 said:

But whose airline did they fly in on? There are very few airlines flying in and out of Russia now and I doubt if Aeroflot or whatever have any aircraft capable of a return flight from Russia without being refueled. In addition most Russian flights are banned, certainly from the EU and UK airspace. I suppose they could fly via China and refuel there both ways.

I suspect your last point is spot on Bill. I expect to see repatriation flights being arranged shortly.

9 minutes ago, Scott said:

I am not interested in getting into the discussion, but if you are going to post something as a fact, then it does need to backed up with a link. 

There is a signed treaty and it does not include anything resembling what you are asserting.  

I thought discussing this issue here is what is this forum all about.

My intent is/was to alert others that they should consider whether or not to blindly believe tabloid. It is obvious that many here are driven by emotions but squelching out other views can hardly be beneficial for any public communications venue.

If the links that I have submitted are regarded as false then so be it - end of discussion, I am out of here.

https://greatpowerrelations.com/not-one-inch-eastward/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StraightTalk said:

My intent is/was to alert others that they should consider whether or not to blindly believe tabloid. It is obvious that many here are driven by emotions but squelching out other views can hardly be beneficial for any public communications venue.

If the links that I have submitted are regarded as false then so be it - end of discussion, I am out of here.

You are more than welcome to discuss the issue, however, if you post something as being a fact, then it needs to be backed up with a link to a credible source.   Posting information which is false is against the forum rules.  

Forum members are welcome to express their opinion within the rules.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StraightTalk said:

I am glad this is spelled out as in my book moderatorship calls for a unbiased 'cum' nonpartisan individual of a forum such as this.

to refresh your memory of unbiased partisan

https://www.hudson.org/research/12750-vladimir-putin-1999-russian-apartment-house-bombings-was-putin-responsible

Vladimir Putin & 1999 Russian Apartment-House Bombings -- Was Putin Responsible?

believe that Vladimir Putin came to power as the result of an act of terror committed against his own people. The evidence is overwhelming that the apartment-house bombings in 1999 in Moscow, Buinaksk, and Volgodonsk, which provided a pretext for the second Chechen war and catapulted Putin into the presidency,

• Like 2

A post with a video from an unapproved social media source has been removed:

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

Getting back on Topic, news media now report about 27,000 Russian tourists are stranded throughout the world, unable to get back to Russia because Russian airlines or Russian operated flights are forbidden from EU, Canadian, USA and other air spaces. Reports of 17,000 Russians stranded in Dominican Republic.

Sabre Corp. on Thursday said it terminated its distribution agreement with Russia’s Aeroflot, a move that Europe’s Amadeus followed suit. Aeroflot’s flights won’t show up on online travel agencies or other third-party sites.

Aerospace manufacturers, Boeing, General Electric and others, have suspended parts distribution and service agreements with Russia. More details here:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/03/airline-software-giant-sabre-ends-service-with-russias-aeroflot-crippling-carriers-ability-to-sell-seats.html

Well, I wonder if western gov'ts can confiscate some of those mansions, luxury apartments and yachts and put the stranded tourists in them for the time being.   Personally, I'd take the yacht!

• Like 1

Just now, Credo said:

Well, I wonder if western gov'ts can confiscate some of those mansions, luxury apartments and yachts and put the stranded tourists in them for the time being.   Personally, I'd take the yacht!

There will be some yachts, mansions, apartments, condos up for auction soon, but all in the high-end luxury range? Get your bidding paddle ready.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, futsukayoi said:

Weere these like Putin's promises not to invade Ukraine

Not to mention it is good or bad ... but any promise , and i really mean ANY promise , by ANY politician , across the world does mean anything ?

This does not mean i am for it nor against it ( well yes i am , but that's beside the answer i give ) , just a general observation . A promise does not mean anything and even less when it comes from any politicians mouth .

The dollar almighty may play a major part for their 'need' to join the club - $$ is a great motivator. It's a power grabbing exercise and USA is awash with slush funds; They are experts misdirecting taxpayers money and/or misleading the public. Just ask O. North...

I see.  You skip the obvious explanation; that Russia is a domineering neighbor threatening bordering countries, in order to speculate without evidence about some kind of financial motive for joining NATO.

If that is true, why has NATO been refusing to allow Ukraine and other countries into the alliance?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StraightTalk said:

He wasn't.

Its called double speak:

Putin 28th Jan "Russia will not start a war in Ukraine, the country's President Vladimir Putin has said" but warned that the US and Nato have left little room for compromise after ignoring his demands.

24th Feb Russia Invades Ukraine and war starts

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I see.  You skip the obvious explanation; that Russia is a domineering neighbor threatening bordering countries, in order to speculate without evidence about some kind of financial motive for joining NATO.

If that is true, why has NATO been refusing to allow Ukraine and other countries into the alliance?

[quote]

"implicit and informal assurances in 1990 strongly suggesting" to a country that no longer exists[...]"

[unquote]

Obviously the promise(s) were made prior the SU leader(s) decided on dismantling the Union. The Russian leader(s) have the right that these promise(s) is/are honored.

Concerning expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence - We just have to wait until respective documents are available and publicized under the Freedom of Information Act (which is not made known in newspapers with half-size pages). In the meantime I have mine and others have theirs - Respect!

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, StraightTalk said:

Yes false 

• Like 2

Thanks for the link. Well, he wasn't bluffing, was he?

commonly referred to as speaking out of both sides of his mouth. I think the lie carries more weight than the warning. He could have ruled out "not invading". There's no defense of Putin worth a c*** cup full of cold water.

• Like 2