Hidden signature on Thai bank savings account passbooks

As f-rangs, we generally have savings accounts with those wonderfully retro passbooks.

Well, they have a signature on them that you can't see. 

When coming in for a new book when the old one is full, the clerk puts a light on it to verify your signature. 

My signature (sadly) is very inconsistent. 

This has given me problems before with the bank not wanting to accept my signature and I've heard that others have had similar problems.

So I would like to see the hidden signature so that I can be ready to attempt to do a new one in the same general style. 

So how can I see it?

I thought it was just black light but I was just looking at a black light flashlight on Lazada and someone asked if it worked for this, and the vendor said no.

Maybe they're wrong and it would work?

So if it isn't black light, what is it, and is there any way I can see it?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

When coming in for a new book when the old one is full, the clerk puts a light on it to verify your signature. 

Are you sure that your signature is checked?

I doubt it.

How would it get there?

When opening the account you do two signatures on a thicker separate sheet which is then removed and added to the files at the bank.

BUT still interesting: I fiddled with a (smartphone) torch and actually you see that the sheets of the passbook are watermarked!

I think they just check for fake passbooks?

I will add some photo.

You can see the watermark (logo and name with an ordinary torch light shine through (from an old cancelled/punched book).

Would have been wiser to picture from an empty page of a current book. Too lazy.

Probably they still use UV light which might be much more clear and viewable without shine through?

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You can see the watermark (logo and name with an ordinary torch light shine through (from an old cancelled/punched book).

Would have been wiser to picture from an empty page of a current book. Too lazy.

thumbnail.jpg

On the very last page of your passbook (marked for bank use) half way up on the left side you can see the indentations made by your signatures. At least I can on both my books.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

BTW: could you say which bank you refer too.

I know the procedure from Bangkok Bank.

Just tried my luck with Kasikorn Bank and don't see a watermark.

Not sure about Kasikorn book. There might be a watermark not that easy to see.

Edited by KhunBENQ

14 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

At least I can on both my books.

Tried hard on the last page of Bangkok Bank book but I can't.

SCB also has no watermarks that I can see?

But on the last page of SCB there is some mystical plastic sheet attached. That looks interesting but no idea what it would do?

It has some "wave like structure" and very fine dots printed.

I also assume that this is some sort of protection from fakes?

It's not simply plain unicolored.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

BTW: could you say which bank you refer too.

I know the procedure from Bangkok Bank.

Just tried my luck with Kasikorn Bank and don't see a watermark.

Not sure about Kasikorn book. There might be a watermark not that easy to see.

Siam Commercial

I doubt it.

How would it get there?

When opening the account you do two signatures on a thicker separate sheet which is then removed and added to the files at the bank.

BUT still interesting: I fiddled with a (smartphone) torch and actually you see that the sheets of the passbook are watermarked!

I will add some photo.

Yes I'm sure.

I saw them looking at it and was then required to do a changed signature declaration.

At least they let me do that but

I don't want to have to do that again.

Luckily I am not signing checks.

I doubt it.

How would it get there?

I will add some photo.

I've seen them check it in my Bangkok Bank book.

It has been lifted from something else I have signed, increased in size and then transferred into the bank book.

My signature is very inconsistent. Last time she had to show it to me and told me sign the papers like it was in the book....555

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I've seen them check it in my Bangkok Bank book.

It has been lifted from something else I have signed, increased in size and then transferred into the bank book.

My signature is very inconsistent. Last time she had to show it to me and told me sign the papers like it was in the book....555

Thanks.

So I probably wasn't hallucinating!

The time I was forced to make a changed signature statement I did ask to see it so I could  try to do it similarly.

That's when she freaked out and said no dramatically and acted like she was about to call the police.

I appreciate security but come on they can see my passport.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The time I was forced to make a changed signature statement I did ask to see it so I could  try to do it similarly.

That's when she freaked out and said no dramatically and acted like she was about to call the police.

",,,come on they can see my passport".

Come on, the staff have rules that they have to abide by with security-related issues that are there to protect your money.   Is the signature in your passport the same as the version in your passbook?

Imagine if funds went missing from your account and you knew that she didn't follow security procedures but had allowed someone else to see how you signed your signature.  I doubt that you'd appreciate that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

",,,come on they can see my passport".

Come on, the staff have rules that they have to abide by with security-related issues that are there to protect your money.   Is the signature in your passport the same as the version in your passbook?

Imagine if funds went missing from your account and you knew that she didn't follow security procedures but had allowed someone else to see how you signed your signature.  I doubt that you'd appreciate that.  

No. My passport signature is different because it's space limited.

I really don't need your grandiose lectures dear..

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks.

So I probably wasn't hallucinating!

Hahaha......I had to practice on a blank sheet for a couple of minutes in order to get it to look something like.

She eventually, with some reluctance, accepted it, but only because she would have had to fill out the form again for me to sign.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

No. My passport signature is different because it's space limited.

I really don't need your grandiose lectures dear..

"I really don't need your grandiose lectures dear.."

Dear?  I'm sure you don't need a  "grandiose lecture", flower, and that sure wasn't one.   

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I'm sure.

I saw them looking at it and was then required to do a changed signature declaration.

At least they let me do that but

I don't want to have to do that again.

Luckily I am not signing checks.

I am with TMB, now TTB, and I know there is an invisible signature in the back of my book.

• Thanks 1

By Kasikorn passbook last page  up those 2 empty area  , with UV light from my fake money checker  i could see my signatures ..... not both complete alike but almost 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"I really don't need your grandiose lectures dear.."

Dear?  I'm sure you don't need a  "grandiose lecture", flower, and that sure wasn't one.   

Whatever, sweetie.

Edited by Jingthing

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So will a regular black ligbt flaslight work for this or do I need something different?

https://www.ledwatcher.com/blacklights-vs-uv-lights-whats-the-difference/

As even the u.v. light from my portable fake money checker works , this is just a size bigger than a usb key size 

Google " Safescan 35 " and choose  "image"

7 hours ago, david555 said:

As even the u.v. light from my portable fake money checker works , this is just a size bigger than a usb key size 

Google " Safescan 35 " and choose  "image"

Hmm.

I really don't get how that would help me. 

I want to get a good LONG look at the signature with my human eyes.

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hmm.

I really don't get how that would help me. 

I want to get a good LONG look at the signature with my human eyes.

I really dont understand your problem ....as this safescan has a light build in which shine a U.V beam and so you can have a look on your invisible signature which you can look at as long the battery last ...????

Only other option is to look for a bionic eye shop to replace your human ones .....????

Really i think we are on different frequency of understanding.....????????

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

I really dont understand your problem ....as this safescan has a light build in which shine a U.V beam and so you can have a look on your invisible signature which you can look at as long the battery last ...????

Only other option is to look for a bionic eye shop to replace your human ones .....????

Really i think we are on different frequency of understanding.....????????

Yes we are.

The video shows machine reading only.

So will a regular black light flashlight work or not?