Cambodia or Wait for Vietnam ("visa run")

Hi guys,

My visa expries on 20th March and I would like to take a holiday to one of the open countries in S.E.A, which from what I can tell is only Cambodia at the moment with Vietnam saying they will open on 15th March.

I would like to then come back to Thailand on a new Tourist Visa and stay here for 60 more days before heading off somewhere else.

I just wanted to get your opinons if it is worth the risk to wait for Vietnam when their opening date is so close to my visa expiry date, and secondly, is there any other countries that are open/opening in the region before 20th March.

Thank you all.

edit: I am fully vaccinated from the UK

Edited by WhaleBomb

My preference would be Vietnam, but as Cambodia is already open, I'd do the following if I was in your situation: I'd wait until about March 10th to see if Vietnam resumes issuing visas to tourists and publishes their actual requirements for entry (their proposals aren't looking bad, but the devil is often in the details). If that isn't forthcoming, I'd buy the eVisa for Cambodia and go there instead.

The Philippines are also open. I've never traveled there and I'm not really interested; just mentioning that as another alternative within the region.

I read Laos was reopening, not sure which date.

Singapore accepts tourists (if vaccinated) but with a number of tests.

Philippines is further away, but depending on your interests...

I would research which country is easier to obtain the TV you want.

11 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I read Laos was reopening, not sure which date.

Singapore accepts tourists (if vaccinated) but with a number of tests.

Philippines is further away, but depending on your interests...

I would research which country is easier to obtain the TV you want.

I will look into the Philippines, I didn't know they was open, thank you.

15 minutes ago, Caldera said:

My preference would be Vietnam, but as Cambodia is already open, I'd do the following if I was in your situation: I'd wait until about March 10th to see if Vietnam resumes issuing visas to tourists and publishes their actual requirements for entry (their proposals aren't looking bad, but the devil is often in the details). If that isn't forthcoming, I'd buy the eVisa for Cambodia and go there instead.

The Philippines are also open. I've never traveled there and I'm not really interested; just mentioning that as another alternative within the region.

Great idea, I will do that, and I will check out the Philippines now.

15 hours ago, WhaleBomb said:

I will look into the Philippines, I didn't know they was open, thank you.

Philippines is definitely the easiest option in the region right now.  You only need a vaccine certificate, pre-departure PCR , and insurance.  There is no test on arrival, or any of the Thailand Pass type ridiculousness.

As someone posted, Philippines is the easiest at the moment. No test on arrival, and no quarantine if you have a vax certificate.  Here is a good summary of the req's: 
https://mactancebuairport.com/news/international-arrival-guide/

All the other SE Asian countries(except Myanmar) are also open, or soon to be opening in the next month or so.  I found a travel agency blog who did an excellent job summarizing for each country. Just scroll down this page:  https://www.exotravel.com/blog/en/ and browse through all the lists of requirements. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Philippines is definitely the easiest option in the region right now.  You only need a vaccine certificate, pre-departure PCR , and insurance.  There is no test on arrival, or any of the Thailand Pass type ridiculousness.

What's the Thai embassy like there for issuing visas?

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

What's the Thai embassy like there for issuing visas?

I read on a travel blog that it takes two days to get it, and unlike at other embassies, you will need to provide(aside from flight bookings):  hotel bookings, and bank statements proving you can support your trip. It was not indicated what the amount required was. 

3 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

I read on a travel blog that it takes two days to get it, and unlike at other embassies, you will need to provide(aside from flight bookings):  hotel bookings, and bank statements proving you can support your trip. It was not indicated what the amount required was. 

I would not believe anything I read on a "blog". I have found a lot of the information is either outdated or plain wrong. People make blogs to make money off of them. I would just stick to reports and info from real people who want to share in information, and from official resources. 

Edited by zugzug123