Can they force me into hospital if i test positive?

joeshmoe23

2 hours ago, joeshmoe23 said:

yes I have. they dont cover mild/asymptomatic

Many insurances do. In fact it would be negligent on anyones part to enter Thailand with a policy that does not cover this.

Edited by jimn
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, jimn said:

Many insurances do. In fact it would be negligent on anyones part to enter Thailand with a policy that does not cover this.

Please supply information regarding which insurance companies do cover asymptomatic cases.

My understanding is none will cover this and with good reason.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 10:46 AM, jimn said:

Your mistake for taking out this type of insurance its worthless

It's my standard health insurance plan from the US, which gives also covers me overseas and has no limit on COVID medical expenses in Thailand. But won't pay for quarantine if I'm asymptomatic. 

Costs me nothing beyond what I routinely pay. Buying an additional policy to cover a quarantine hotel was a waste of money IMO, but to each his own. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jimn said:

As this thread is about someone who has been admitted to hospital, this is because the case is deemed medically necessay. Therefore in this case AXA will cover the costs. 

https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance

Opening post.

"Hello. I am planning on coming to Thailand on 10day AQ. In case of asymptomatic/mild case of Covid during the quarantine, can they force me to go to hospital/hospitel if I refuse? I am concerned about the costs. From what I've read,insurance companies don't cover such cases."

OP is asking about being forced to go to hospital or hospitel if he tests positive but is asymptomatic or has a mild case as noted above.

I believe no insurance policy will cover this.

Edited by tlcwaterfall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Opening post.

"Hello. I am planning on coming to Thailand on 10day AQ. In case of asymptomatic/mild case of Covid during the quarantine, can they force me to go to hospital/hospitel if I refuse? I am concerned about the costs. From what I've read,insurance companies don't cover such cases."

OP is asking about being forced to go to hospital or hospitel if he tests positive but is asymptomatic or has a mild case as noted above.

I believe no insurance policy will cover this.

No one now will be forced into hospital with no or mild symptoms, which was the case previously. Now if you are admitted to hospital it will be classed as a medical necessity as determined by a doctor. In this case insurance should cover it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimn said:

No one now will be forced into hospital with no or mild symptoms, which was the case previously. Now if you are admitted to hospital it will be classed as a medical necessity as determined by a doctor. In this case insurance should cover it.

Would like you to supply a link please to confirm your statement that people with mild or no symptoms will not be admitted to hospital.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:
2 hours ago, jimn said:

Would like you to supply a link please to confirm your statement that people with mild or no symptoms will not be admitted to hospital.

Why don’t you supply a link to confirm that people with mild or no systems will be admitted to a hospital ???

There are already stories of people testing positive on Day 5 being allowed to isolate at home. 

There are lots of stories of Thai’s and Foreigners living in Thailand testing ATK or PCR positive and isolating at home. 

I’m not sure what happens IF someone tests PCR positive on their Day 1 Test&Go test, but if I’m not mistaken:

- IF they have symptoms they will be isolated in a hospital. 

- IF they have mild or no symptoms they will be treated on their situation.

- If they have a home they can isolate there. 

- If they have a booked hotel they can isolate there (if allowed).

- If they have no private options they will be pushed to isolate in a hospitel.

None of this is documented - asking for a source of such information is simply posturing to point score rather than handling the discussion with any understanding of how Thailand avoids clarity because it doesn’t actually plan to handle these issues ahead of time and it keeps changing its policy. 

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why don’t you supply a link to confirm that people with mild or no systems will be admitted to a hospital ???

There are already stories of people testing positive on Day 5 being allowed to isolate at home. 

There are lots of stories of Thai’s and Foreigners living in Thailand testing ATK or PCR positive and isolating at home. 

I’m not sure what happens IF someone tests PCR positive on their Day 1 Test&Go test, but if I’m not mistaken:

None of this is documented - asking for a source of such information is simply posturing to point score rather than handling the discussion with any understanding of how Thailand avoids clarity because it doesn’t actually plan to handle these issues ahead of time and it keeps changing its policy. 

First of all I was polite in my question to the poster. Perhaps you could be polite also instead of being argumentative.

You state you are not sure what happens if someone tests positive on their day 1 test and go test. That is the whole point of the discussion. The poster stated quite clearly that people who test positive and have mild or no symptoms will not be sent to hospital. He at this time cannot provide a link to back up his claim.

I further note you are attacking me yet you are not questioning the poster who made the claims that he at this stage cannot back up. Is there any particular reason you have launched an impolite attack on me?

Please advise.

I was politely requesting a link to confirm the posters statement. I have no need of point scoring as you have claimed.

thai hospitals apply rules they can bend to their benefit, just the juicy bit:

"I was a bit wary about producing a positive PCR test to the airport staff (fear of getting thrown in to quarantine) but after being being told I wasn’t getting in without it, I showed them the positive one and they said ok, no problem, you can enter now .
Test & Go day 1 was no problem, as they took note of my recovery certificate.
Day 5 T & G was a different story, they were all for throwing me in to a private hospital, paying 150 k baht up front because I was still showing positive on the test.
Had to call the ministry of health call centre, who then called to explain to the hotel and lab that done my test, they had no reason to keep me. I still got told to do 7 days isolation at home (live here) and had to do 3 ATK tests in that period. Absolute nonsense but I just got on with it."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I posted a link to AXA earlier. This is a screenshot from the FAQ section. The original OP question was if I admitted to hospital? If this is the case its because doctors deem it medically necessay.

11039227_Screenshot_20220309-182344_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d535a081dd1d02520c431ba6ee6514c5.jpg

Edited by jimn

7 minutes ago, jimn said:

I posted a link to AXA earlier. This is a screenshot from the FAQ section. The original OP question was if I admitted to hospital? If this is the case its because doctors deem it medically necessay.

11039227_Screenshot_20220309-182344_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d535a081dd1d02520c431ba6ee6514c5.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-182344_Samsung Internet.jpg

I was,
on the basis of a positive test, without having seen a doctor, an ambulance took me from the hotel's underground parking lot to a hospitel where I had to stay ten days with very bad food. I never saw a doctor but every morning a nurse came in to take my vital signs only. Insurance paid everything, about 120,000 thb.  I didn't advance a single satang though this was only confirmed upon day 11 check-out.

It wasn't a false positive, I had my own ATK test kit with me and tested myself; result was also positive.

Edited by orchis
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:03 AM, Ralf001 said:

If you refuse, how do they force you?

I would say they have plenty of tools in that area, from arrest to deportation. I understand IDC's are not the most comfortable of places.

I was put into quarantine in a Thai provincial hospital, everything was free. Not comfortable at all, but my years of camping stood me in good stead. In one way I was lucky, a private hospital would have done severe damage to my wallet.

My advice to my friends in Australia is don't come, it is not worth the risk.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, orchis said:

I was,
on the basis of a positive test, without having seen a doctor, an ambulance took me from the hotel's underground parking lot to a hospitel where I had to stay ten days with very bad food. I never saw a doctor but every morning a nurse came in to take my vital signs only. Insurance paid everything, about 120,000 thb.  I didn't advance a single satang though this was only confirmed upon day 11 check-out.

It wasn't a false positive, I had my own ATK test kit with me and tested myself; result was also positive.

what insurance company did you use?

10 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

what insurance company did you use?

Dhipaya.
Hotel was Century Park Hotel
Hospital Piyavate
Hospitel Maitria.
I think i caught it on the Qatar flight, it was rowdy, people running around maskless, no enforcement ven after asking sttaff to intervene, very chaotic boarding deplaning and transit methods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, orchis said:

Dhipaya.
Hospital Piyavate
Hospitel Maitria.
I think i caught it on the Qatar flight, it was rowdy, people running around maskless, no enforcement ven after asking sttaff to intervene, very chaotic boarding deplaning and transit methods.

Thats why I booked business class coming back, less people around you,thanks

21 minutes ago, orchis said:

Dhipaya.
Hospital Piyavate
Hospitel Maitria.

I had dhipaya at piyavate (transferred from Anya Nana) - insurance payed only for medical care 50k, the rest 90k for hospital room, food, cleaning I suppose to pay from my lump sum 200k from the southeast insurance (which I am still waiting). That was just before the new rules come to life on 15.02 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, internationalism said:

I had dhipaya at piyavate (transferred from Anya Nana) - insurance payed only for medical care 50k, the rest 90k for hospital room, food, cleaning I suppose to pay from my lump sum 200k from the southeast insurance (which I am still waiting). That was just before the new rules come to life on 15.02 

Mine was January 1 to January 11.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where? Where are these stories?

Because I personally know someone who tested positive on day 5 two weeks ago and was forced to quarantine for 10 days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JayClay said:
23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where? Where are these stories?

Because I personally know someone who tested positive on day 5 two weeks ago and was forced to quarantine for 10 days.

On this forum.....   (I’m not going to dig them out for you - but they are there, otherwise I’d be assuming every day 5’er who tested positive would be forced into 10 day hospitel quarantine).

On 3/5/2022 at 7:26 AM, Dellboy218 said:

I got better thankyou!  (No flashing lights or anything untoward except for a painful tailbone through prolonged sitting on plastic garden chairs)

So no follow up or comeback at all.? 

Is this the norm or were you just lucky.? 

And how many days did it take before you tested negative, or just felt better.? 

Sorry about the questions but I got curious. 

8 hours ago, rott said:

So no follow up or comeback at all.? 

Is this the norm or were you just lucky.? 

And how many days did it take before you tested negative, or just felt better.? 

Sorry about the questions but I got curious. 

Nope, nothing at all. I was feeling much better by the time they hauled me into that hospital.  The tablet course was 10 days and by then I was clear.  No idea if that was the norm.  I've never been locked up in a hospital before!

So conclusion actually it's a kind of lottery if you test positive ? Forced hospitalisation, or not, well maybe... ????

I'll still wait some clarity on this main issue then.

Like many others i guess. 

• Like 2