Non-O and Marriage extension questions.

8 hours ago, David 111 said:

How much did Siam Legal charge you? And which Thai bank was that for, please?

Bangkok Bank, Exchange Building, Asoke.

I think about 3,000 baht (possibly less), but to be honest, at the time, with so much hassle, more than happy to pay and get it done.

On 3/5/2022 at 1:19 AM, DrJack54 said:

Exactly my experience. 

Even with an existing bank account in Thailand and extensions to a non O, Bangkok Bank required ridiculous things such as residence certificate etc.

Kasikorn no problem at all. 

I had a lease but don't recall them taking much notice of it. 

Yet I'm with Kasikorn already and tried to open another account..........back to the old 'cannot, need work permit or retirment visa sir' and showed my wife the rules on a tablet.

However, I metioned this during a phone call with the call centre staff recently and they advised me that things have changed again now and its back to simply needing an long stay visa - she did say 12 month Non O though.  I believe that's in addition to other methods such as work permit.

Bank accounts in Thailand have been a nightmare as long as i can remember - different bank, different day, different staff, often = different answer.

Post on here that you've had problems opening an account with XYZ Bank and within hours you'll have several posts from members saying they opened an account with them on a tourist visa (which I believe can actually be done in Pattaya).

Edited by KhaoYai

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Yet I'm with Kasikorn already and tried to open another account..........back to the old 'cannot, need work permit or retirment visa sir' and showed my wife the rules on a tablet.

However, I metioned this during a phone call with the call centre staff recently and they advised me that things have changed again now and its back to simply needing an long stay visa - she did say 12 month Non O though.  I believe that's in addition to other methods such as work permit.

Bank accounts in Thailand have been a nightmare as long as i can remember - different bank, different day, different staff, often = different answer.

Post on here that you've had problems opening an account with XYZ Bank and within hours you'll have several posts from members saying they opened an account with them on a tourist visa (which I believe can actually be done in Pattaya).

I have a non O retirement and years of extensions.

Bangkok Bank still wanted a residence certificate. My embassy (Oz) does not provide the service of address letter. 

Bangkok immigration requires filing of 90 report to obtain residence certificate. 

For folks on tourist visa or visa exempt I have mentioned often that 4k to an agent to open a bank account is a no brainer.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

For folks on tourist visa or visa exempt I have mentioned often that 4k to an agent to open a bank account is a no brainer.

I read, yes only read, that a certain club on Walking Street, Pattaya used to have representatives present that would open bank accounts for you and I don't think they were particular about your visa status.  Whether they were actual bank staff or agents, I know not but the wording on the website said bank. Clearly that was pre-covid and may be closed or unavailable but it just goes to show the BS that goes on.

On 3/6/2022 at 11:06 AM, DrJack54 said:

I have a non O retirement and years of extensions.

Bangkok Bank still wanted a residence certificate.

They didn't require it from me, no doubt due to the Siam Legal referral letter. The fee to them was well worth it.

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

They didn't require it from me, no doubt due to the Siam Legal referral letter. The fee to them was well worth it.

And that's why I recommend folk look at the option of using an agent for opening Bank account. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update for anyone one who is interested.  And thanks for those who told me to do it before I came to Thailand.

Certifying your Marriage certificate (if married outside of Thailand) takes TIME.  And, the fine print and rules and what have you isn't the clearest of clears.  We are currently on stage 2 of 4 and all should go well from here on out but certainly...For sure... Start early, ASAP with that.

Yes when I first came to Thailand I got the 90-day Non-O based on marriage from the London embassy. I then opened the bank account ASAP after arrival using Siam Legal and transferred the funds.  it just  seemed to me to be an easier route, and minimised the dealings with Thai immigration. All that was required after that was the 12 month extension.

We were married in Thailand several years before, so that bit was easy for us. No translation needed.

Edited by Tuvoc

On 3/5/2022 at 8:24 AM, BoonMeePakNam said:

I've opened a bank account at Kasikorn (only Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn will open acccounts for foriegners)

I am Irish/Canadian and live in Thailand with a Thai wife, on a Type-OA Visa, and I have bank accounts with both Bangkok Bank and also Krungsri bank.  My understanding is Krungsri and Kasikorn are not the same bank.   Hence based on my albeit limited banking experience the past half-dozen years in Thailand, I don't believe it accurate to say only Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn will open accounts for foreigners (given I have multiple accounts with Krungsri).

Having typed that, I do agree that Bangkok Bank is more difficult (than Krungsri) when it comes to obtaining the banking paperwork needed for an extension on a foreigner's  'permission to stay' in Thailand.

12 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Having typed that, I do agree that Bangkok Bank is more difficult (than Krungsri) when it comes to obtaining the banking paperwork needed for an extension on a foreigner's  'permission to stay' in Thailand.

I think only if you are extending based on monthly income. For money in the bank, I just went into the local Bangkok Bank branch on the way to immigration, updated the passport and got a certification of the balance on the spot. They also helpfully photocopied the passbook for me. Very easy.

Edited by Tuvoc

1 minute ago, Tuvoc said:

I think only if you are extending based on monthly income. For money in the bank, I just went into the local Bangkok Bank branch on the way to immigration, updated the passport and got a certification of the balance on the spot.

Interesting. I wonder if this is a change in policy? 

For Bangkok Bank in Phuket (two separate branches - same policy) to obtain the certification of the balance for 1 year, they need to apply to Bangkok to get the paperwork record, which can take up to a week. (ie Signed and stamped bank letter AND Signed and stamped bank statement showing the required money for the previous 12 months).

Only for shorter duration (3 months ? or maybe its 6 months) can one get the required paper work 'on the spot'.