More Praise for Immigration

18 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Kor Ror 2 no longer needed.

That's an odd one.

Odd? No it wouldn't be if IO had access to the Ministry of Interior computer which has an office in the same building. 

But too good to be true as Thai government  entities have no cooperation culture whatsoever.

1 hour ago, IgboChief said:

Uhm, when I got a recent Facsimile of my KR 22 in Udon last month, I had to go to the Amphor, where the clerk wrote me a small note and send me to the side building, where -- wait for it, wait for it -- another clerk gave me a ledger (a normal book for keeping postings) and opened the relevant page about my KR 22, then sent me to the copier and asked me to bring it back later.

For 10 minutes I held the only genuine Khor Ror register of Udon Thani 2003 in my hands.

People noticed signs of madness and insanity on my face-- subsiding only 3 days later.

We are talking about KR 2, which are recorded in a central database, as our wives can get one in any Amphor, anywhere in the country, in 5 minutes, for 20 Bahts.

59 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

in 5 minutes, for 20 Bahts.

Insignificant correction.

It took my wife 45 minutes and she had to pay 1 whole Baht. Reason for the high price was..........Covid.  ????

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

We are talking about KR 2, which are recorded in a central database, as our wives can get one in any Amphor, anywhere in the country, in 5 minutes, for 20 Bahts.

Cool story boomer, though the only difference between KR 2 and KR 22 is the place of marriage.

• Like 1

If all paperwork is in order, that’s how it should go, isn’t it op? It’s the general expectation (and resulting unnecessary angst) that things will likely go wrong through extra papers and misinterpretation of the rules by maverick IO that has us praise them when things go well. Going forwards, it’d be nice to see things streamlined like Cambodia. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

If all paperwork is in order, that’s how it should go, isn’t it op? It’s the general expectation (and resulting unnecessary angst) that things will likely go wrong through extra papers and misinterpretation of the rules by maverick IO that has us praise them when things go well. Going forwards, it’d be nice to see things streamlined like Cambodia. 

Yes, well I think there are several reasons for the improved service not least is the reduced volume of customers that I have noticed over the past year or two.

The number of IO's in attendance is also reduced to one not counting the lady at the information counter.

There were no immigration police to be seen. The whole operation seems to be done by very efficient clerical staff.

Separating the farang from the Asian visitors is also a plus. Not possible with a shared office I think.

You make comparison with Cambodia. What's it like there?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muhendis said:
3 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

in 5 minutes, for 20 Bahts.

2 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Insignificant correction.

It took my wife 45 minutes and she had to pay 1 whole Baht. Reason for the high price was..........Covid.  ????

This is one of the Government's initiatives to alleviate hardship during the Covid crisis. No payment for their services, you only pay for the paper. ????

7 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Odd? No it wouldn't be if IO had access to the Ministry of Interior computer which has an office in the same building. 

But too good to be true as Thai government  entities have no cooperation culture whatsoever.

The reason why we have to supply 2 copies of our applications is because one set is sent to the regional HQ. It's their job to confirm that the marriage is genuine and currently only HQ have access to M of I information.

If all offices had access to the M of I database there would be no need for the 2nd copy, or for the K R 2 and approval could be granted on the day.

Oh we wish!

• Like 2

Very off topic but have always been interested in spread of expats in Thailand.

So what is rough stab of numbers.

Keep it simple list Issan (all of) and Bangkok(include Nonthaburi etc) and Pattaya (chonburi)

I have zero idea the order.

Just seems reports of issues with immigration having Issan mentioned often. Of course that covers many imm offices

Edited by DrJack54

10 hours ago, Muhendis said:

No.

This office is tucked away around the corner. 

Drive past the main entrance to the Provincial building, which should be on your left, then turn left and continue to the end of that road. Turn right and it is the third (I think) building on the left. Not difficult to spot since it has a big sign in front which includes "Immigration" on it.

Once you have seen that sign you need to stop and reverse back to the entrance as I did. Turn left into the "Way In". Drive round the back of the building and down a short sharp ramp to the parking area. Visitors parking is clearly labelled under shaded covers. There are toilets there should you feel the urge.

Thank you for the detailed directions.   This is the office that should be used now ? And are appointments now necessary ?

34 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Thank you for the detailed directions.   This is the office that should be used now ? And are appointments now necessary ?

Yes this is the office that should be used now and in my opinion you will still be seen without an appointment however, to avoid a long wait scenario or worse, it would be a good idea to make your appointment. Bare in mind you still need a letter and passbook update from your bank which will take time.

In my case this and the unnecessary Kor Ror 2, made  me half an hour late for my immigration appointment. Banks and government offices move at their own speed which seems to be infinitely variable. I seem to remember that the bank information can be acceptable the day before but I'm unsure about this. Best to get confirmation from your immigration office first.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Very off topic but have always been interested in spread of expats in Thailand.

So what is rough stab of numbers.

Keep it simple list Issan (all of) and Bangkok(include Nonthaburi etc) and Pattaya (chonburi)

I have zero idea the order.

Just seems reports of issues with immigration having Issan mentioned often. Of course that covers many imm offices

Your right. It is off topic but Buriram is the sort of place that appeals to expats who like the quieter country life. Our nearest immigration office used to be near the Cambodian border at Cap Choen. I guess the increasing numbers of foreigners in Buriram was the incentive to move the office to a more central location.

I have no Idea about numbers of expats but they often seem to be everywhere when I go into town for weekly shopping or for a meal out.

13 hours ago, thaitom said:

The new Immigration office ?  Are you referring to the one on the 3rd. Floor of the Provincial building ?

No that one isn't in use anymore. They moved to the new location (Which @Muhendis gave directions to) on Feb 1st.

Link:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Muhendis said:

You make comparison with Cambodia. What's it like there?

When I lived in Cambodia. I never went to an Immigration office (other then the ones on the Border) and everything was done by agents.  It took a couple of days and you got the Sticker in your Passport and you was good for another year (no need for 90 day reports etc)

The most "famous" one was Lucky Lucky Motorcycles in PP

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/248683210651458935/

Ps: When I lived there was several years ago, so things may have changed!!

• Like 1