Back in the USA

Guest Isaanlife

Guest Isaanlife
1 hour ago, bbko said:

When I travel back to the US, I rarely eat in Thai restaurants, I find it overpriced and not as good as food in Thailand, when I asked a Thai lady working in a Thai restaurant in Phoenix AZ why, she said it's because they can't get the same ingredients.

There are Asian supermarkets here as large as Tesco Lotus with every ingredient in the world.

The reason is they cook Thai food American style is because most American's don't eat spicy food.

The restaurant we go to, a Mom and Pop, my wife always has to tell the old Thai that is the owner/cook to make it pet, pet.

It can be done if you ask for it.

3 minutes ago, Isaanlife said:

There are Asian supermarkets here as large as Tesco Lotus with every ingredient in the world.

The reason is they cook Thai food American style is because most American's don't eat spicy food.

The restaurant we go to, a Mom and Pop, my wife always has to tell the old Thai that is the owner/cook to make it pet, pet.

Yes, you r8ght in this respect  some of my friends in the US who own Thai restaurants will also make SomTam with Bala.....you just use to ask.

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Yes and yesterday I paid roughly the same per liter price for 95 octane and 100 baht to fill up my 100 cc Honda Wave which is all I need to get around on a daily basis. 

I do not believe it was photoshopped.  This photo was taken in California.  I have friends in Los Angeles Country and they are paying $6 or more per gallon.  But if you go east of Los Angeles where refineries are very far the cost per gallon can hit  $7 to $8 per gallon.  This particular photo appears to have been taken in Blythe CA(near the Arizona border).  In the good old days  gas in Blythe was always $1 to $1.50 per gallon higher because the nearest refinery is over 100 miles. I have driven thru small towns like Blythe and Barstow many times and gasoline has always been higher than in Los Angeles County.  Gasoline in California has always been higher than in other parts of the USA.  

I was just in Los Angeles two weeks ago.  Went to an Arco Gas Station and gave the clerk $20 dollars.  I was able to get a whopping 4 gallons into my rental car(a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi Mirage with a 9 gallon tank).  Welcome to the future of California and America. 

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
5 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

How about Home Depot and Best Buy?

https://fortune.com/2021/12/04/flash-mob-robberies-organized-crime-nordstrom-best-buy-retail/

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/four-suspects-arrested-in-beverly-hills-identified-booked-for-home-depot-flash-mob-burglary/2767972/

But I guess what really put me on edge is when you said that there are lots of over 55 communities in Florida. As I noted I lived in Florida for 15 years so I am well  acquainted with such planed existence communities. Thank you.

And no rare occurrence statistic is rare when it happens to yu.

My god man do you understand there are 330,000,000+ people in the US?

Yet you continue to post 1 news article about 1 thing that happened.

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

I do not believe it was photoshopped.  This photo was taken in California.  I have friends in Los Angeles Country and they are paying $6 or more per gallon.  But if you go east of Los Angeles where refineries are very far the cost per gallon can hit  $7 to $8 per gallon.  This particular photo appears to have been taken in Blythe CA(near the Arizona border).  In the good old days  gas in Blythe was always $1 to $1.50 per gallon higher because the nearest refinery is over 100 miles. I have driven thru small towns like Blythe and Barstow many times and gasoline has always been higher than in Los Angeles County.  Gasoline in California has always been higher than in other parts of the USA.  

Two weeks ago I paid $4.99 a gallon for 87, it was already at $5.99 for the Supreme at Chevron in Indio, Ca. when I flew back here on the 26th. A friend filled his Diesel pickup in Las Vegas for almost $6.50 a gallon yesterday.  Getting very costly.

Guest Isaanlife
2 hours ago, Dan747 said:

If you have Family still in Thailand-You'll "BE BACK!" That is why we spend 6 months in Issan at Ubon and 6 months in Orlando. "Good Luck and Enjoy!"

We have another house in NH as well. 

We told the family we will sponsor them if they want to come live here.

I won't be going back nor doing the half time thing.

I have no interest to return.

Look forward to all the new things in front of us

Guest Isaanlife
Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Two weeks ago I paid $4.99 a gallon for 87, it was already at $5.99 for the Supreme at Chevron in Indio, Ca. when I flew back here on the 26th. A friend filled his Diesel pickup in Las Vegas for almost $6.50 a gallon yesterday.  Getting very costly.

I paid $4.19 a gallon today where I live in Florida.

7 minutes ago, Isaanlife said:

I paid $4.19 a gallon today where I live in Florida.

Cheaper in some states than in others.  Of course the big reasons are the State and federal taxes levied and added.  In Oregon their is no state tax on fuel just the federal excise tax added so its cheaper then in CA.

Edited by ThailandRyan

Guest Isaanlife
7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I was just in Los Angeles two weeks ago.  Went to an Arco Gas Station and gave the clerk $20 dollars.  I was able to get a whopping 4 gallons into my rental car(a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi Mirage with a 9 gallon tank).  Welcome to the future of California and America. 

I am seeing a bunch of Tesla's here in Florida, there are a lot on the roads here.

18 minutes ago, Isaanlife said:

My god man do you understand there are 330,000,000+ people in the US?

Yet you continue to post 1 news article about 1 thing that happened.

And you said in the US there is nothing to worry about. Up until last year there was no such thing as flash mob robbery. Now there is. Whether it happened to you or not, it is out there.

You also said in your (now closed) time to pack in it (sic) topic:

"One thing I won't be doing is posting again on TV after I move."

So much for that.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Isaanlife said:

I am seeing a bunch of Tesla's here in Florida, there are a lot on the roads here.

According to the esteemed US Transportation Secretary of Transportation, Mayor Pete,  the path forward is to buy EV's.  Thanks Pete.  Can you spare an extra $100,000 so I can buy a Tesla the next time I go back to the USA.  I rented the cheapest car from Enterprise and it was a Mitsubishi Mirage.  The Mirage and it's rinky dink 3 cylinder engine got 35 mpg but 0-60 was a rapid 12 seconds.  It still cost almost $40 dollars to fill the 9 gallon tank of the Mirage. Today it would it cost me over $50 to fill the tank of the Mirage.  

• Thanks 1

One of the things that shocked me the most, on my recent trip, was how expensive everything was, how much prices had gone up, how out of control labor costs were, and how I could not manage to keep money in my pocket, due to all of that. Hopefully you own your home, and it is free and clear. If so, you are in good shape. If not, it is tough right now, with the cost of housing. I was looking a homes in LA to rent, as an option, and could not find a decent three bedroom for under $3200 a month. And in really nice areas, they are far higher. It is definitely not a buyers, or a renters market back there. It is a renters market here at this time. And the cost of living is so much more affordable here. 

When I returned here, I felt like I had finally stopped the bleeding, with regard to cash. We were not doing anything extravagant. But, we managed to spend hundreds of dollars a day, just living. Hyper inflation has hit the US, big time. 

Edited by spidermike007

Guest Isaanlife
39 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

And you said in the US there is nothing to worry about. Up until last year there was no such thing as flash mob robbery. Now there is. Whether it happened to you or not, it is out there.

You also said in your (now closed) time to pack in it (sic) topic:

"One thing I won't be doing is posting again on TV after I move."

So much for that.

This is my post, go start your own if you are that lonely and homesick

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

One of the things that shocked me the most, on my recent trip, was how expensive everything was, how much prices had gone up, how out of control labor costs were, and how I could not manage to keep money in my pocket, due to all of that. Hopefully you own your home, and it is free and clear. If so, you are in good shape. If not, it is tough right now, with the cost of housing. I was looking a homes in LA to rent, as an option, and could not find a decent three bedroom for under $3200 a month. It is not a buyers, or a renters market back there. 

When I returned here, I felt like I had finally stopped the bleeding, with regard to cash. We were not doing anything extravagant. But, we managed to spend hundreds of dollars a day, just living. Hyper inflation has hit the US, big time. 

My 5 week trip back to the US was more expensive due to rising food costs, fuel and regular shopping. I spent the equivalent of 3 months of what I spend in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IsaanLife:  3 hours ago, Dan747 said:

If you have Family still in Thailand-You'll "BE BACK!" That is why we spend 6 months in Issan at Ubon and 6 months in Orlando. "Good Luck and Enjoy!"

If so, why are you here??

14 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

According to the esteemed US Transportation Secretary of Transportation, Mayor Pete,  the path forward is to buy EV's.  Thanks Pete.  Can you spare an extra $100,000 so I can buy a Tesla the next time I go back to the USA. 

Anyone going to spend $45k on a vehicle anyway, in USA, and I know more than a few that do, might as well get the Tesla 3, or wait for the T2 to be available.  Unfortunately, solar is still silly priced over there, compared to Thai installation cost here.  At least the gov't gives incentives to go solar.

If here, Thailand, I peeked out of curiosity, and both surprised & impressed with the Suzuki Celerio.  Surprised I fit in the doorway with ease, with my not so good back.  Impressed with kpl, rated at 20.

All of ฿330 for entry level model.  Transport really doesn't need to be expensive.  With that pricing, hard for many to go the EV route.

My only issue, if owning would be 'road noise' when out & about on the highway.  The Vios & Mazda2, we owned, was annoying as hell, and where Thai made sedans fail miseralby.  The best part about our MG ZS that I like, and beside, couldn't get in the new Mazda2 comfortably.

Guest Isaanlife
Just now, spidermike007 said:

One of the things that shocked me the most, on my recent trip, was how expensive everything was, how much prices had gone up, how out of control labor costs were, and how I could not manage to keep money in my pocket, due to all of that. Hopefully you own your home, and it is free and clear. If so, you are in good shape. If not, it is tough right now, with the cost of housing. I was looking a homes in LA to rent, as an option, and could not find a decent three bedroom for under $3200 a month. It is not a buyers, or a renters market back there. 

We own 2 homes outright.

However, you are correct about the costs.

McDonald's starting pay $16/hr, Target Stores $24 an hour

Gas rising $4.19 a gallon today.

1 small Thai lunch $48.00

For groceries I think we spent around $250

Electric, water, trash, internet, phone, $700 a month

Car insurance $100 a month

Supply chain issues, store shelves not 100% full but you can find everything by visiting a couple of stores

Dinner at Texas Roadhouse for 2 was around $70+ with I drink and 1 coke

Rent in my area, if you can find a house to rent, looks like it is creeping up to the $2200 - $2500 a month range

Home building cost, just reviewed it was $218 a square foot. 1600 sq ft house is going for US $359,999. That is almost $100,000 more than it was at this time last year. Comps of 2 houses on the same street, one sold last year $258,000, one just built and for sale now $359,999.

Seems like in McDonald's or Subway for 1 is going to run at least $10+

4 minutes ago, Dan747 said:

IsaanLife:  3 hours ago, Dan747 said:

If so, why are you here??

It's  like those who post "I don't care what anyone thinks of me."

Well apparently they care enough about what anyone thinks of them that they had to let people know that they don't care what anyone thinks of them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

One of the things that shocked me the most, on my recent trip, was how expensive everything was, how much prices had gone up

Yes, I popped over in 2003 & 2006 for long weekends, after 3 & 6 yrs here, and was hit with 'sticker shock', on some things.  Some justified, some not.

As I state, too often, now it's just the cost for the privilege of living there, via mandatory RE Taxes & healthcare ins. that is the main turn off.  Just those 2 alone, is enough pocket money just to 'exist' here in Thailand.  Aside from housing's inflated prices, if not already owning free & clear, which due to taxes, you really NEVER do.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

Guest Isaanlife
10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Anyone going to spend $45k on a vehicle anyway, in USA, and I know more than a few that do, might as well get the Tesla 3, or wait for the T2 to be available.  Unfortunately, solar is still silly priced over there, compared to Thai installation cost here.  At least the gov't gives incentives to go solar.

If here, Thailand, I peeked out of curiosity, and both surprised & impressed with the Suzuki Celerio.  Surprised I fit in the doorway with ease, with my not so good back.  Impressed with kpl, rated at 20.

All of ฿330 for entry level model.  Transport really doesn't need to be expensive.  With that pricing, hard for many to go the EV route.

My only issue, if owning would be 'road noise' when out & about on the highway.  The Vios & Mazda2, we owned, was annoying as hell, and where Thai made sedans fail miseralby.  The best part about our MG ZS that I like, and beside, couldn't get in the new Mazda2 comfortably.

For just running errands around town, that Suzuki sounds like it would work perfect.

34 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, I popped over in 2003 & 2006 for long weekends, after 3 & 6 yrs here, and was hit with 'sticker shock', on some things.  Some justified, some not.

As I state, too often, now it's just the cost for the privilege of living there, via mandatory RE Taxes & healthcare ins. that is the main turn off.  Just those 2 alone, is enough pocket money just to 'exist' here in Thailand.  Aside from housing's inflated prices, if not already owning free & clear, which due to taxes, you really NEVER do.

Son just bought his first house in Montana.  3 bedroom 2 bath 1647 sqft for $297,000.00.  Yes the prices even in Montana have gone up.  The same house sold 5 years ago for $197,000, so a $100K profit for the prior owners.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

My 5 week trip back to the US was more expensive due to rising food costs, fuel and regular shopping. I spent the equivalent of 3 months of what I spend in Thailand.

I tried to venture into a grocery store without spending over $100. It was incredibly difficult. And I barely bought anything. Walked into Costco and people were dropping $1500 like it was nothing. Stopped at a mechanic I used to use, and they wanted $95 for an estimate for my AC repair! My friend got his tree trimmed for $1600! Another friend spent $5,300,000 on a nice 5,000 sf home in LA. Not amazing. Just nice. Stopped for two sandwiches. $32. Everything was insane. The bubble is going to burst. The price rises cannot be sustained. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Son just bought his first house in Montana.  3 bedroom 2 bath 1647 sqft for $297,000.00.  Yes the prices even in Montana have gone up.  The same house sold 5 years ago for $197,000, so a $100K profit for the prior owners.

My sister bought 5 acres on a hilltop in Montana. Very scenic land. They had a fairly nice custom home built. Under 2,000 sf. Cost them $500,000. That is over 16 million baht, not including the land. Insanity. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

It wasn't the level of spiciness that was off (no shortage of chili peppers in the US), it was the other ingredients like lemongrass, galangal & Thai basil that seemed to be substituted.  I did visit the large Asian supermarkets and found most of them to carry mostly items from India or Vietnam.

No worries though, after eating Thai food for years, I welcomed the break. Lots of good Mexican & Chinese restaurants in Phoenix AZ.

Guest Isaanlife
6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I tried to venture into a grocery store without spending over $100. It was incredibly difficult. And I barely bought anything. Walked into Costco and people were dropping $1500 like it was nothing. Stopped at a mechanic I used to use, and they wanted $95 for an estimate for my AC repair! My friend got his tree trimmed for $1600! Another friend spent $5,300,000 on a nice 5,000 sf home in LA. Not amazing. Just nice. Stopped for two sandwiches. $32. Everything was insane. The bubble is going to burst. The price rises cannot be sustained. 

One thing I will say about Florida?

People in the trades whether Tree Trimmers, Plumbers, Electricians, Auto Mechanics, Mason's, House Painters, Roofers/Carpenters charge an insane amount of money, and they get it.

If you are not handy at fixing things yourself, you can go under quite easy.

Your bring up a good point about the cost.

My neighbor told me she got a quote for a wood fence around her house.

It was around $8,800  ($2800 for the materials, labor (2 days), $6,000. 2 days at 8 hours a day = 16 hours of labor)

For $6,000 labor/16 hours  that works out to be around $375 an hour labor.

Another neighbor got some quotes to get the outside of his house painted.

Average quote was around $5,000. He bought all the paint and supplies for $1500. Labor $3,500 and the house would have been finished in 1 day.

$3,500 divided by 8 hours of labor = $437 an hour to paint a one story ranch house.

He painted it himself.

It seems like all of the trades collude to keep the prices sky high. Tradesmen make more than most professionals here.

There is so much new construction going on in this area it is sick. People moving to Florida from everywhere.

I had a leaky faucet on the outside of the house. Called about 6 plumbers. None available for days. Average estimate was $375.

Fixed it myself for <$10 in parts.

It has certainly been a real eye opener since the last time we lived here and honestly this area is probably not worth that high cost.

Edited by Isaanlife