Does Anyone Think That Putin Is Trying To Provoke A Nuclear War

On 3/15/2022 at 11:58 AM, gargamon said:

This is about to get a lot bigger.

China has expressed some openness to providing military and financial aid to Russia

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/14/politics/us-china-russia-ukraine/index.html

Expect WWIII as this escalates. I was planning on returning to Thailand in the near future but am currently seriously reconsidering as I don't want to be stranded there when the bombs start dropping...

Somehow I don't think it will matter where one is if the nukes start flying. Even if one survives unscathed, IMO one will come to envy the dead.

In the southern Pacific, if we escape the actual conflict I doubt China will be wasting any time without the US to intervene.

However, hopefully wise heads will be advising those that make such decisions, and it won't happen.

On 4/5/2022 at 4:48 PM, billd766 said:

A little song that you may appreciate if he does push that button. It originally came out in the 1950s or 60s.

or this one.  

Thanks for posting those. Brought a smile to my face.

Seems that when faced with imminent immolation it's time to smile and sing a happy song. For myself, I'd be Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seeking_a_Friend_for_the_End_of_the_World

• Like 1

17 hours ago, placeholder said:

So you think domination of an impoverished wasteland is a goal that is consistent with playing "the long game"?

How do you know that it will be an "impoverished wasteland" in 50 or 100 years?

Perhaps you thought the "long game" referred to a couple of years over a couple of months.

On 3/14/2022 at 6:58 PM, gargamon said:

This is about to get a lot bigger.

China has expressed some openness to providing military and financial aid to Russia

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/14/politics/us-china-russia-ukraine/index.html

Expect WWIII as this escalates. I was planning on returning to Thailand in the near future but am currently seriously reconsidering as I don't want to be stranded there when the bombs start dropping...

Slimy stuff.  Big powers always looking for an advantage.  Good old boys club.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 4:38 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

How do you know that it will be an "impoverished wasteland" in 50 or 100 years?

Perhaps you thought the "long game" referred to a couple of years over a couple of months.

You really should keep better track of what you write

image.png.ec591aa4543963e9ee27f6f49c4ae3d6.png

image.png.855d329b60e4580c8778b46ebb7126d1.png

You're the one who categorically claimed that "Environment and world domination are two different subjects". Up to you to show that in 50 years time the environment won't be a wasteland if radical change isn't instituted soon. I've got science backing me up. Whaddya you got?

And your comment leaves no doubt that 50 years + is what you meant by the long game.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

You really should keep better track of what you write

image.png.ec591aa4543963e9ee27f6f49c4ae3d6.png

image.png.855d329b60e4580c8778b46ebb7126d1.png

You're the one who categorically claimed that "Environment and world domination are two different subjects". Up to you to show that in 50 years time the environment won't be a wasteland if radical change isn't instituted soon. I've got science backing me up. Whaddya you got?

And your comment leaves no doubt that 50 years + is what you meant by the long game.

Are you for real? Bored or something? Nobody knows what the world will be like in 50 years.

I'm assuming it will be something like what it is now, but I'm not psychic.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you for real? Bored or something? Nobody knows what the world will be like in 50 years.

I'm assuming it will be something like what it is now, but I'm not psychic.

I am actually for reality. And I trust scientists. And the overwhelming consensus is that if much stronger action than is currently being taken to slow anthropogenic climate change, there will be disastrous consequences.

In bleak report, U.N. says drastic action is only way to avoid worst effects of climate change

The world has squandered so much time mustering the action necessary to combat climate change that rapid, unprecedented cuts in greenhouse gas emissions offer the only hope of averting an ever-intensifying cascade of consequences, according to new findings from the United Nations.

10 steps you can take to lower your carbon footprint
Already, the past year has brought devastating hurricanes, relentless wildfires and crippling heat waves, prompting millions of protesters to take to the streets to demand more attention to a problem that seems increasingly urgent.

Amid that growing pressure to act, Tuesday’s U.N. report offers a grim assessment of how off-track the world remains. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2019/11/26/bleak-report-un-says-drastic-action-is-only-way-avoid-worst-impacts-climate-change/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I am actually for reality. And I trust scientists. And the overwhelming consensus is that if much stronger action than is currently being taken to slow anthropogenic climate change, there will be disastrous consequences.

In bleak report, U.N. says drastic action is only way to avoid worst effects of climate change

The world has squandered so much time mustering the action necessary to combat climate change that rapid, unprecedented cuts in greenhouse gas emissions offer the only hope of averting an ever-intensifying cascade of consequences, according to new findings from the United Nations.

10 steps you can take to lower your carbon footprint
Already, the past year has brought devastating hurricanes, relentless wildfires and crippling heat waves, prompting millions of protesters to take to the streets to demand more attention to a problem that seems increasingly urgent.

Amid that growing pressure to act, Tuesday’s U.N. report offers a grim assessment of how off-track the world remains. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2019/11/26/bleak-report-un-says-drastic-action-is-only-way-avoid-worst-impacts-climate-change/

While it's hopelessly off topic I'll bite.

If you are correct it'll solve the overpopulation problem, but as I don't know what the planet will be like in 50 years time I'm not making any predictions on that. For all I know we'll be living in floating cities and eating seaweed.

However, I can agree that if we don't stop polluting the environment it's not going to bode well for humanity ( and a lot of other species ). Of course the planet will carry on regardless, as it always does after a major environmental catastrophe eg the meteor impact that killed off the dinosaurs.

PS, I doubt humanity actually cares enough to do more than give lip service to reducing population, stopping pollution and living in harmony with nature, so if the scientists are correct, IMO humanity is doomed.

Air pollution makes for lovely sunsets, so enjoy, while you can.

• Haha 1

We knew it did not look too good in the long run for mankind. China - Taiwan - Climate Change - Ukraine - 3rd WW - use of nuclear weapons (nearly unthinkable so far) - AI combined with Big Data and Government Control - Decline of democracy and "western" values incl. freedom of expression and life - increasingly contagious diseases. All on the table. Not maybe sometime but now.

Seems more and more we would get everything as a bundle much more quickly as thought.

Where are now the little green (or blue) aliens to take over for a while and put everything in order back again ? Not happening.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

Where are now the little green (or blue) aliens to take over for a while and put everything in order back again ? Not happening.

Too late for litte green aliens. At this juncture to set things straight, we're going to need some really big green aliens.

9 hours ago, moogradod said:

We knew it did not look too good in the long run for mankind. China - Taiwan - Climate Change - Ukraine - 3rd WW - use of nuclear weapons (nearly unthinkable so far) - AI combined with Big Data and Government Control - Decline of democracy and "western" values incl. freedom of expression and life - increasingly contagious diseases. All on the table. Not maybe sometime but now.

Seems more and more we would get everything as a bundle much more quickly as thought.

Well said. When the great powers stand by and let the world's forests burn in pursuit of mammon it's all over bar the shouting, IMO.

I'm wondering if covid and the Ukraine conflict is the beginning of the end.

2 hours ago, olfu said:

Comrade Putin trying by any means be bigger than anybody else in history books.

He's got a way to go then. I believe Mao was responsible for the deaths of millions of Chinese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mao_Zedong

In 1958, he launched the Great Leap Forward that aimed to rapidly transform China's economy from agrarian to industrial, which led to the deadliest famine in history and the deaths of 15–55 million people between 1958 and 1962.