Number of Russian visitors in Phuket instantly drops, Phuket struggles to find solutions for hundreds of stranded tourists with no access to funds due to sanctions

webfact

On 3/8/2022 at 12:42 PM, Enoon said:

Britain and Russia.

19th century.

Britain and Russia start off as friends....because Napoleonic France  threatens all the monarchies of Europe and that of Russia.

Then Britain and Russia stop being friends..............because Britain feels that Russian expansion South and East threatens Britains empire.

Britain becomes friends with the Ottoman Empire (anti Russian) and, together with France (friendly now) and Sardinia, defeats Russia in the Crimean War.

Later on the Ottoman Empire starts to get friendly with the rising German Empire, so Britain makes up with Russia to counteract Germany who, it feels, is challenging it's pre-eminence.

20th century

A big war takes place during which Britain plays a large part in defeating the Ottoman empire, Russia fights Germany for a while but then goes "commie", and signs a treaty with Germany, and Britain, together with various other countries, invades Russia in 1918.

For the next 20 years Britain and Russia are no longer friends, especially when Russia helps Germany to re-arm and signs another treaty with Germany.

Germany and Russia invade Poland in 1939.....half each.......that was the purpose of the treaty, to grab Poland without upsetting each other.

Britain is now, technically, at war with Russia, due to a treaty that Britain has with Poland..........but seems to ignore it.

In 1941, to Stalins utter astonishment, Germany invades Russia and forces it into a war for Russias survival.

Britain and Russia become friends "for the duration".

Russia survives and grabs half of Europe.......thus half of Europe finds itself under a dictatorship not far removed from the one it thought it was being saved from.

Mid 20th to early 21st century

Britain and Russia cease to be friends......then they think they are again.......then they're not.

Sometimes Russia are the good guys......sometimes they're not.

Right now they're not.

Excellent synopsis.  Oh, how positions shift when they become expedient ...

21 hours ago, eastlight said:

Russians are not supposed to have contact with non Russians 

That must make it difficult from the instant they arrive. They will be in contact all the time they are here.

Airport staff, Immigration, taxi's, shops, 7/11, restaurants, fast food outlets etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Thanks for your explanation. So, you are sitting in the UK, digesting information from the mainstream media, and consequently being one of those “armchair travellers” that you so scorn. Anyhow, thank’s for mentioning The Guardian, at least that gives some clarity to the trash media you alluded to ¯\_()_/¯

I’m not sure if it was intentional or not, but your comment that I replied to came across as rather pretentious (I travel and am therefore able to form my own opinion) and condescending / patronising (other British & American “armchair travellers” don’t have their own opinions at all)

Unlike millions of Russians living in poverty, most Brits and Americans are able to travel widely, especially, but not exclusively, members on this forum.

You seem to think that your world view has validity because of the media  sources that inform you, whereas those that get their information from other sources, continue to enjoy their ignorance and bigotry ……………. hmmmm

If you read my post correctly, you might see that I see myself as a world traveller because I travel. Just because I happen to be in UK at present, doesn't negate that.

To pick just one of my sources (Guardian)  from the list only shows you're missing my point (or purposely avoiding it?) which is that i choose to use a range of sources to view a range of opinions

You of course are entitled to view me as patronising in which case the word you need is thanks NOT thank's. The apostrophe is not used in this context. There you go, patronising AND pedantic ???? 

• Like 1

The is all good news really if a person wants to go there.

Hotel rates are way down about 1/3 of what they were a few weeks ago.

Several 4 star hotels in Patong under $40 a night.

Good time to go if interested.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2022 at 5:07 PM, racket said:

One way to fix this is to let them open u bank accounts tied to UnionPay such as Bangkok bank. They can then transfer money from Russia to their account here. Problem solved. 

Transfer money from Russia...????....rubbles....it's not worth the paper it's written on!

In a supermarket in dublin about 2 hours ago a russian family looking very nervous somebody asked if they were and said "do you know your country is bombing and killing women and children everyday" because they dont want to be russian.

There is no excuse the world has to stop this russians are evil.