What was it like to have a Cataract operation in Thailand

webfact

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Do not delay on this, it is considered an ocular emergency as there is a risk of the dislocated lens damaging the eye.

Both repair of a dislocated IOL and cataract surgery are usually done under local anesthesia in Thailand. It used to be the same in the US and still often is, but with the advent of very effective and comparatively safe   short-acting IV sedation (e.g. propofol), that is often also provided in US. This is not actually general anesthesia, rather what is termed "conscious sedation", the patient is deeply sedated but rousable to strong stimuli. However  there is no memory of the procedure afterwards.  (propofol can also be used in combination with anesthetic gases for true general anesthesia but that would to have been done for a cataract surgery).

If you feel strongly about it, you can request IV sedation for the repair, but it will add to the cost. The procedure without it won't hurt, but of course can be anxiety-provoking to go through. Up to you -- but as mentioned, do not delay.

I didn't realise a "dislocated IOL" was a thing! Occasionally, when I look up and to the right I think I see something dark, but not sure. 

I'm having a checkup soon so will tell them. 

Thanks. 

On 5/20/2024 at 4:41 PM, Sheryl said:

Do not delay on this, it is considered an ocular emergency as there is a risk of the dislocated lens damaging the eye.

Both repair of a dislocated IOL and cataract surgery are usually done under local anesthesia in Thailand. It used to be the same in the US and still often is, but with the advent of very effective and comparatively safe   short-acting IV sedation (e.g. propofol), that is often also provided in US. This is not actually general anesthesia, rather what is termed "conscious sedation", the patient is deeply sedated but rousable to strong stimuli. However  there is no memory of the procedure afterwards.  (propofol can also be used in combination with anesthetic gases for true general anesthesia but that would not  have been done for a cataract surgery).

If you feel strongly about it, you can request IV sedation for the repair, but it will add to the cost. The procedure without it won't hurt, but of course can be anxiety-provoking to go through. Up to you -- but as mentioned, do not delay.

Thanks. I went to the hospital today.  The bottom line: they said the IOL is dislocated and “has to come out.” I go back Monday for another appointment, and then see another doctor a week or so after that.  So I guess they’ll take care of the problem soon.  I didn’t know what to think.

1 hour ago, jas007 said:

Thanks. I went to the hospital today.  The bottom line: they said the IOL is dislocated and “has to come out.” I go back Monday for another appointment, and then see another doctor a week or so after that.  So I guess they’ll take care of the problem soon.  I didn’t know what to think.

What hospital did you go to? Where in Thailand are you?

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

What hospital did you go to? Where in Thailand are you?

I’m in Bangkok and went to Bumrungrad. I’ve been there before to the eye clinic.

32 minutes ago, jas007 said:

I’m in Bangkok and went to Bumrungrad. I’ve been there before to the eye clinic.

I recommend you go to Rutnin Eye Hospital

I thought about that, but all my records are at Bumrungrad and I have a history of treatment there. At this point, I’ve had more than a few tests. Anyway, all the doctors I’ve seen at Bumrungrad are USA Board certified and have many years of experience.  I see no reason to present myself at Rutnin to obtain treatment for what may not be an actual emergency.  

I had both eyes done at Rutnin Eye Hospital, one month apart, for 50,000 per eye, covered by insurance, about 10 years ago and the difference was astounding. From extremely short-sighted to able to drive without glasses made me feel freer than I had ever felt. The mother-in-law went yesterday and the quote was 55,000 Baht for just the one eye. The place is frequented by wealthy people so no reason not to.

Highly recommended.

48 minutes ago, BigStar said:

What does "done" mean?

Had cataracts in both eyes and those cataracts were removed. They will not do both eyes at the same time so as to avoid the risk of becoming blind if there is an unforeseen problem. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I recommend you go to Rutnin Eye Hospital

Just an added thought or two:

I sometimes have a tendency to assume the worst.  A real problem if a particular symptom can have multiple causes. Sometimes it’s better to just listen to the experts who have looked at the objective medical evidence.

For example, I used to play racquetball. Twice, I severely twisted my ankle. On both occasions, I thought I must have broken my ankle, so I showed up at the emergency room. The diagnosis on both occasions : a twisted ankle. Another time I thought I was having a heart attack, so I went to the emergency room. The diagnosis: strained muscle from working too hard to pull out a tree stump. On another occasion, I thought I had a stroke. I ended up spending the day in a hospital, but they couldn’t find any evidence whatsoever of any kind of stroke.

Anyway, the Rutnin website doesn’t show that they have an emergency department.  If you make an inquiry, they want you to fill out a bunch of forms and make an appointment. Even at that, I’m sure they would want to run their own battery of tests. I’m sure they won’t assume I have an emergent situation just because I think I do.  

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, jas007 said:

On another occasion, I thought I had a stroke. I ended up spending the day in a hospital, but they couldn’t find any evidence whatsoever of any kind of stroke.

What symptoms did you have back then to think you had a stroke?

1 hour ago, jas007 said:

Anyway, the Rutnin website doesn’t show that they have an emergency department.  If you make an inquiry, they want you to fill out a bunch of forms and make an appointment. Even at that, I’m sure they would want to run their own battery of tests. I’m sure they won’t assume I have an emergent situation just because I think I do.  

They advise you to contact the inpatient department for Emergency:

Emergency case please contact Call Center
Tel. +662-056-3333 press 1

2 hours ago, mark5335 said:

What symptoms did you have back then to think you had a stroke?

It was more than 25 years ago. I was feeling some numbness and tingling in my face and lips.  Anyway, my initial thought was that it might be some kind of stroke.  But, as I said, the doctors found nothing.

In retrospect, I think it was a reaction of sorts to the vitamin supplements and herbal supplements I had begun to take. That never crossed my mind at the time, but I’m sure it was a possibility. I was probably talking too many things at once.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Update on my dislocated IOL:

Another doctor, more tests. The IOL is dislocated but it’s still in the capsular bag and is intact.  The hospital is obtaining approval from my insurance company, and I’ll have surgery in a few weeks, under general anesthesia.  

26 minutes ago, jas007 said:

Update on my dislocated IOL:

Another doctor, more tests. The IOL is dislocated but it’s still in the capsular bag and is intact.  The hospital is obtaining approval from my insurance company, and I’ll have surgery in a few weeks, under general anesthesia.  

I had both cataracts removed under general anesthetic by Dr Prin at Bumrungrad hospital and I beg to differ with Sheryl for once. Dr Prin is an amazing Dr and he saved me from almost certain blindness. He is expensive but fortunately the French SS picked up 50% of the tab.