Plugin or take to the bike as fuel prices soar

webfact

1 hour ago, starky said:

Why would fuel prices in Thailand soar? They arent taking any deliberate stance against russia , quite the opposite if anything. Any fuel imcreases here woild be straight up gouging

Do you understand that the marketplace is the entire world? That sellers are going to try and get the highest price they can? It's utterly irrelevant what sort of relationship a net buyer has with a net seller.

Edited by placeholder

10 hours ago, placeholder said:

Do you understand that the marketplace is the entire world? That sellers are going to try and get the highest price they can? It's utterly irrelevant what sort of relationship a net buyer has with a net seller.

Yes that'd be  gouging. Maybe the "entire world" should habe spent years or decades becoming independent instead of pandering to regimes like the Soviets amd rhe UAE 

Edited by starky

11 hours ago, starky said:

Why would fuel prices in Thailand soar? They arent taking any deliberate stance against russia , quite the opposite if anything. Any fuel imcreases here woild be straight up gouging

I expect the price of  crude and refined products rising is why and Thailand is an importer. I  believe they used to buy diesel from Russia in the past... but strangely not heard more on this recently.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:31 AM, Andycoops said:

In the depths of Isaan, neither.

I shall continue with B7 in the pickup and 95 in the motorcycles, regardless.

I'm in Isaan and for every day use an EV wouldn't be much of a problem assuming the electricity supply to our house could cope. Easy to connect in front of the house and no printemps with range with any EV I know of. 

The only problem is when we go away as the range, charging times and options would be an issue at the moment although things will get better. I can't afford a Tesla. We could just hire a vehicle for longer trips but we tend to go away quite a bit and rental options aren't close by. Possibly an EV for every day and petrol or diesel for weekends away. 

Up to now when I'm in the UK is slightly different in that an EV is almost always ok and I could rent easily for the odd occasions is not but I don't have the ability to charge at home. There are quite a few public chargers but unless you wait with the vehicle whilst it's charging apparently there's now a chance your cable will be stolen.

12 hours ago, starky said:

I would guess its the same situation as gas prices. Its sold on the world market so it goes up and down based on that. If you produce your own then it might be a bit different although I think oil comes in different types so what you produce may not be suitable for everything. 

10 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

For the prices to rise so quickly......price gouging definitely.......the fuel being dispensed now would have been bought months ago at 'normal' prices.

That's true but I know petrol and diesel prices were going up in the UK before the Russian attack on Ukraine. It just started rising quicker after that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kimamey said:

That's true but I know petrol and diesel prices were going up in the UK before the Russian attack on Ukraine. It just started rising quicker after that. 

For sure......... the global economy getting back on its feet after covid and the markets responding to increased demand.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Why would you not charge while at home

I agree. I was commenting on another poster who was casting aspersions on my eyesight and internet use when I said there were no public charging points in my district of Bangkok. There are still many tens of fuel stations tho.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I agree. I was commenting on another poster who was casting aspersions on my eyesight and internet use when I said there were no public charging points in my district of Bangkok. There are still many tens of fuel stations tho.

Didn't I see something about PTT installing charging points in its properties? I guess you're more likely to see it in Bangkok than I am in Isaan.

1 hour ago, starky said:

Yes that'd be  gouging. Maybe the "entire world" should habe spent years or decades becoming independent instead of pandering to regimes like the Soviets amd rhe UAE 

I don't see how it was possible for most countries to see a way to being energy independent until recently thanks to the huge advances being made in solar/wind power and storage. It took a tremendous political battle to impose fuel consumption standards on automotive vehicles. In fact, in the USA, the previous administration actually eased those standards. If energy independence was treated as a defense issue, which it clearly is, a lot more expenditures would be devoted to eliminating the need for fossil fuels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

I don't see how it was possible for most countries to see a way to being energy independent until recently thanks to the huge advances being made in solar/wind power and storage. It took a tremendous political battle to impose fuel consumption standards on automotive vehicles. In fact, in the USA, the previous administration actually eased those standards. If energy independence was treated as a defense issue, which it clearly is, a lot more expenditures would be devoted to eliminating the need for fossil fuels.

Big oil still has a stronghold on US politicians.  The cost of solar system is still a bit silly in the USA, as is home ownership now.   So 1 giant step backwards ... again, toward clean energy.

System we're going to install 10Kw, will be < $10 USD, and I suggested & priced the same in NJ for buddy of mine, and closer to $25k USD w/credits & incentives.  Think a lot of that is labor, and not being close to China.

Now that the average price of owning a home in the USA is in silly land ...  oil once again tightens its grip.  Fake shortage, low production, cancelled Keystone pipeline, all a bit of a joke.  Oil prices should be going down, not up in USA.

I'd suggest nationalizing the oil industry like Brazil and other countries did, but anything the USA gov't controls, they screw up.  Healthcare/Medicare/aid & Soc Sec are fine examples, once they get their hands in them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Yeah but the US has still been sucking d.... of these opressive nations for years on both sides of the house. Cos guess what ? Money trumps all especially in Washington....and no matter how good renewables become highly unlikely you can run heavy industry on wind and solar dxxn pipe dream.

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

For the prices to rise so quickly......price gouging definitely.......the fuel being dispensed now would have been bought months ago at 'normal' prices.

Dont be coming on here talking your common sense. It doesnt fit the narrative that this  just all happ3ned last week.

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kimamey said:

I would guess its the same situation as gas prices. Its sold on the world market so it goes up and down based on that. If you produce your own then it might be a bit different although I think oil comes in different types so what you produce may not be suitable for everything. 

Or you could live in a country like my place of birth Australia who is heavily abundant in natural resources yet continues to give all the developing rights ro foreign nations meaning none of those resources are actually ours. Even worse if the <deleted> really hits the fan we dont even have enough oil to run our defense industy little lo e the country for more rhan a few weeks. I have worked my whole life in oil and gas i understand how markets work.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/FlagPost/2021/June/Fuel_Security_Bill_2021

Edited by starky

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Not spent much time working in supply chain management then? 

Each litre you dispense today at the back end has to be replaced today/tomorrow at the front end. So if the front end price rises....

Storage is almost irrelevant.

Edited by VocalNeal

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Each litre you dispense today at the back end has to be replaced today/tomorrow at the front end. So if the front end price rises....

The old adage is it goes up faster than it goes back down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

So when the spot prices on the open market drop on the Monday we can all expect to paying lower prices by Wednesday??????

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

So when the spot prices on the open market drop on the Monday we can all expect to paying lower prices by Wednesday??????

No, As the fuel delivered on Monday may have been bought  some days before.  But the reaction both ways is quite quick here.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, starky said:

Call it what you like but that is how commodity markets work.