Russian exodus puts Thailand’s tourism rebirth at risk as Asia longs for absent visitors

webfact

2 minutes ago, timendres said:

The real risk to Putin is if the attack on the Ruble and on Russia's natural reserve exports becomes too expensive and costs the Russian oligarchs too much money. The average citizen is of no concern to Putin.

This is what the world hopes for, but I suspect he planned well for this, considering all possible scenarios.

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, timendres said:

The real risk to Putin is if the attack on the Ruble and on Russia's natural reserve exports becomes too expensive and costs the Russian oligarchs too much money. The average citizen is of no concern to Putin.

Interesting article written by a Russian explaining that oligarchs break down into two groups.......... financial ones running (raping) state industries, who owe everything to Putin.......... and political ones who are either too weak to do anything or agree with everything he is doing...........he has it all sewn up......basically, don't hold your breath, Putin is here to stay.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, timendres said:

Putin has amassed personal wealth to rival the oligarchs.  Does that not also make him a Russian oligarch?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

"The dollar rises" only relative to the decimated ruble. It has moved tiddlywinks against the THB. The current attack on the Russian banking system, and other weaponization of money and banking, puts the dollar's reserve status in jeopardy. More and more nations and individuals are becoming aware of the tenuous "stability" and "reliability" of owning USD. If the USD loses its precious reserve currency status, it will not be worth much.

I get that. Washington needs to stop the spending immediately..  But which currency could replace the Dollar?  The Ruble, the Chinese Yuan? Euro? Japanese Yen?

At one time, the Pound Sterling was reserve currency, but it hasn’t faired too badly since.

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

I hope they do the right thing when they get home and spread the truth about what Putin is doing to Ukraine .

The only real way of stopping the war is to put Putin down permanently and forever in other words 6 ft under . 

I find it hard to believe that Russians don't know what's going on in Ukraine and their support for Putin has gone up since the war on Ukraine. Surly the Russians can't be this uncaring.

50 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

It’s quite funny to read here “expert” opinions on Russia. Clueless is the right word. The root of miscalculations that the west did about Russia is in measuring absolutely everything in terms of economic cost. However, at this point economic cost has become irrelevant. Much deeper considerations are involved, on psychological and human levels, before which economic cost pales in comparison. This is an existential threat to Russia and it will be eliminated. The west will be forced to recognize this in the coming months as it begins to bear the burden of its miscalculations.

In which direction ?  Actual rather than  made public opinion  favours a  change away  from the status quo of authoritarian constriction

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

This is what the world hopes for, but I suspect he planned well for this, considering all possible scenarios.

In the opposite direction of general political concern wealth will be a factor of consideration  well ahead of the  faux "humanitarian" issues.

If humanitarian  concern was ever paramount  in any political  consideration why  do  nations  continue to starve while they supply  the rich?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, keith101 said:

I hope they do the right thing when they get home and spread the truth about what Putin is doing to Ukraine .

The only real way of stopping the war is to put Putin down permanently and forever in other words 6 ft under . 

Agree 100% and btw I don’t think Thailand needs tourists whose currency is valueless ie worthless I wouldent be surprised if a lot of russan oil is beeing bought at a deep discount and passed onto the consumer at inflated prices as well

22 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Not to worry.

TAT and the Tourism Ministry assured us all very recently that soon 10 million visitors from the Middle East will be pouring in thanks to the re-establishment of diplomatic relations with Saudi-Arabia (a country of 35 million, of which only 12 million are actually locals).

False

Saudi Arabia

People and Society

Population

34,783,757 (July 2021 est.)
note: immigrants make up 38.3% of the total population, according to UN data (2019)

https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/saudi-arabia/#people-and-society

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Hyper-bole, maybe, but hyperinflation....not quite 1921 Germany.

The majority of the inflation is not even related to money printing, as under Pres Biden the deficit fell $350 billion in the first year, vs the last year of spendthrift 45. The deficit in Fiscal 2022 is projected to be $1 trillion less than 45's last year. (That may change due to the war, as corp profits---and hence tax remittances, are likely to fall).

A few things are at play....the world is recovering from Covid, so pent up demand evidences itself in kind of an instant bidding war. That should fade over time.

Another is the rise in the price of oil, which can be attributed to 1) recovery from Covid, 2) the wide use of crypto, which is massively energy intensive*, and 3) the russian invasion of Ukraine and the concomitant sanctions against russian oil plus the risk premium.

Also contributing is that Ukraine produces 14% of the world's wheat, 18% of its barley, and about 15% of corn.

Pres Biden is being attacked---as if inflation hasn't been building up since 45 ran up a near 40% in the US' total debt over 240 years---re fossil fuels, but those attacks are bogus. There are 9000 oil and gas drilling leases in the hands of the oil industry that are not even being used. That isn't Biden's fault. Also, folks like to toss out "Keystone Pipeline", as if that 1) would even be completed by now, and 2) that what it carries would be used in the US. In point of fact, that pipeline was to be built to the Gulf...for export.

*a single btc transaction requires more energy than the typical US home uses in 24 days, while btc mining uses more energy than the combined energy used by Amazon, Netflix, Google, and Facebook in their actual business activity.

The current inflation, of course, is worldwide, and is sure to impact Thai tourism, but it isn't hyperinflation nor even a fraction of that.

I was recently back in the US for awhile. Everyone I spoke to mentioned how dramatically prices were rising. Long before Ukraine, and long before the spike in oil prices. Nearly everything I bought had gone up 20% in one year. I believe it is more to do with Covid related scalping, using the supply chain, and delivery issues as an excuse.

I am not blaming Biden. Though I am disappointed with his performance, I am a supporter. I hated 45, and everything he stood for. Thought he was the 43rd or 44th worst president ever, and I at least partly hold him responsible for the current high (don't use hyper if you do not want to) inflation, due to his insane trade war with China and Huawei. It all started there. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I was recently back in the US for awhile. Everyone I spoke to mentioned how dramatically prices were rising. Long before Ukraine, and long before the spike in oil prices. Nearly everything I bought had gone up 20% in one year. I believe it is more to do with Covid related scalping, using the supply chain, and delivery issues as an excuse.

I am not blaming Biden. Though I am disappointed with his performance, I am a supporter. I hated 45, and everything he stood for. Thought he was the 43rd or 44th worst president ever, and I at least partly hold him responsible for the current high (don't use hyper if you do not want to) inflation, due to his insane trade war with China and Huawei. It all started there. 

Most Americans would accept the occasional mean tweet—to open borders and runaway 40-year high inflation.  Although living here in Thailand, at least we benefit from an inflation-adjusted Social Security income.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/12/2022 at 10:21 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Americans, no pensions, really?  Tell me more....

Who remembers ENRON and his Kenny Boy (who was lucky enough to die just the day before appearing at the court)? 

And what a luck for the thousands of investors and employees?  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

Who remembers ENRON and his Kenny Boy (who was lucky enough to die just the day before appearing at the court)? 

And what a luck for the thousands of investors and employees?  

They may have lost some part of their pensions but many still were able to collect other benefits from the Pension guarantee act, like my father did.  He worked for Enron and still had a retirement when the time came, although not as much as he would have but still more than enough to live on....

The Investors on the other hand, well they were shafted.

Edited by ThailandRyan