How are you with people?

21 hours ago, xylophone said:

Not quite sure what you're getting at with your post, however if you read it carefully you will find that I "don't go"!!

I was merely mentioning that when I drive past, I see these individuals, who travel halfway round the world to sit at a bar at 10:30 AM, wondering why they do it, and how come they all look about the same shape, and with the same unnerving lack of "dress sense", and to me that's cringeworthy.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Not getting at anything but you originally said as you "go by" you see them.

But you clarify that you see them while you're driving by. That's a bit faster and more distant than walking by.

So you assume that they "travel halfway round the world" when you actually don't know if they're local 'residents' who chose a different social life and dress sense from you.

Why do they do it? I would say because they can. Same as you cringing anonymously behind your tinted windows. You do that because you can.

Nothing more and nothing less.

• Thanks 1

I think it's pretty normal for a person's social circle to shrink and social activities to diminish as one approaches their dotage.

I was looking at a 'team' photograph of a Pattaya Hash House Harriers run back in 1989 and out of the roughly 60 participants, I would have counted 20 that I 'knew well' but at most maybe only a dozen as friends that I would socialize with regularly. The rest I knew through the grapevine about what they were doing, where they were working, etc..

Fast forward to my last, 5-year stopover in Pattaya between 2010 and 2015, maybe half-a-dozen of the 'old gang' remained in country while the numbers of those that had moved on and came for vacations slowly withered. When it came to bars, I only frequented 2 or 3 at most. Non-girly bars and just the old fossils chatting, getting drunk when some 'regulars' returned or visited from overseas. Covid stopped them completely and of the very few that toughed it out during the lockdown here, most have since 'left the building' and have no plans for regular visits any more. This includes a few guys that had bought condos and were retired in Thailand who got stuck outside of Thailand during the lockdown and were gagging to return. They were some of the first to get back in but after 4 months of having nowhere to go and nobody to go there with, they quit the country. There's talk of a 'reunion' this low season... same as there was for last years low season (that didn't happen).

My circle of up-country friends in Udon is only about 4 or 5, maybe hooking up at any one of 3 bars more eclectic establishments once or twice a month to chew the fat, eat well and drink expensive, imported draft beer. We are all married, either retired or semi-retired or have a business in Thailand. None are single (or married but looking) old Pattaya hands as those sort tends to live their dreams on bars stool in another, less salubrious part of the city that we generally avoid. Up to them where they chose to hang out, what they want to wear or what they talk about.

Edited by NanLaew

23 hours ago, xylophone said:

...so I stay away from them and the beer bars they visit.

But..

23 hours ago, xylophone said:

I sometimes walk by...

I lived in Pattaya but I never felt the urge or need to go anywhere near the places  where Pattaya's "potbellied, beer swilling bogans" hang out.

Never mind. In the same way as many claim that Walking Street isn't Pattaya, we've also been led to believe that there's more to do in Phuket.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:26 AM, NanLaew said:

A solitary man in "our" fields and gardens?

‘Our’ refers to my families property, I may be married, but I have no friends. No other family member does any work, unless they are paid for their time. I cannot converse with them, therefore they cannot become friends, but they remain as relatives.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:42 PM, georgegeorgia said:

The thing is how do you know when its a problem?

my current girlfriend 34yo filipino here in australia purposely took me out last night around 11pm here in sydney to get me used to it,because she says when i retire to Asia wherever that may be then we will encounter large crowds.

The people i saw though were mostly teenagers shouting out,being loud etc,there was no threats etc just loud screaming girls etc walking between nightcllubs

But i had to keep moving her out of the way,Chinatown in Sydney was very busy last night,people walking towards you with phones stuck to their ears not moving etc ,I know i have to get used to people because we are travelling this year but i may have to see a psychologist 

"i may have to see a psychologist"

I think that is the answer.

46 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

But..

I lived in Pattaya but I never felt the urge or need to go anywhere near the places  where Pattaya's "potbellied, beer swilling bogans" hang out.

Never mind. In the same way as many claim that Walking Street isn't Pattaya, we've also been led to believe that there's more to do in Phuket.

There are quite a few bars like this on a "main" road in Patong, and they are nowhere near the "nightlife entertainment area" of Bangla Road, and on a walk or drive to the local Makro, one will encounter such places!

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

There are quite a few bars like this on a "main" road in Patong, and they are nowhere near the "nightlife entertainment area" of Bangla Road, and on a walk or drive to the local Makro, one will encounter such places!

I believe that in Saudi one will never have one's vision disturbed by the sight of beer swilling bogans. Perhaps that is a country of abode to be considered by those that are offended by such.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 1:57 PM, stereolab said:

‘Our’ refers to my families property, I may be married, but I have no friends. No other family member does any work, unless they are paid for their time. I cannot converse with them, therefore they cannot become friends, but they remain as relatives.

Learn Thai

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I dont care to be with a lot of people as mostly the talk is about trivial things. Bores me to death. Prefer to talk to someone who is interesting and doesnt just talk for the sake of it.

You’re dead right there. Politics, religion, global warming, standards of education, who cares?  Let’s focus on the here and now! Have you eaten? Do you like this beer?  Leave abstraction for Galileo.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2022 at 11:40 AM, NanLaew said:

Got that right. On the front patio with the added bonus that my soon-to-be 5 year-old is now strong enough to bring two cans of icy cold Leo at a time from the mom 'n' pop shop next door.

Life's good.

Brilliant. Back in my home country, the (nearing) 5 year old would have been mugged there and back????.

Yes. I spend a lot of time in my wifes village to see it happen????????