Transferring visa stamps to new passport

7 minutes ago, barnsleyman said:

yes I had 9 Months left on my passport, which they added to my new one, making it 10 yrs. & 9 Months

I guess it is different strokes for different Embassies and IO's.

My new Aus passport runs 10 years from date of issue so I actually lost 9 months. Never mind, passport is pretty much useless for travel if less than 6 months remaining. We will never win in these situations.

Hopefully the stamps can be easily transferred when I extend my retirement visa in 3 weeks time and then will do 90 days report 3 weeks after that. Should be smooth sailing(?!?) (Jomtien).

Ah! It's so much fun to be at the behest of those wearing a police/military style uniform, armed with a rubber stamp.⚖⚖

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps a misunderstanding.

You can travel internationally with both passports in your possession if for example the reentry permit in old pp has not been transferred..

What @barnsleyman said in the extract of his post which you quoted was actually (or, more to the point, is supposed to be) 100% correct. However, he had also stated that, when he lodged his passport application back in 2017 at the VFS offices located in a building in Bangkok which has consistently won the "Silliest Office Building Name Of The Year" award for more consecutive years than I care to mention, his existing passport was effectively physically cancelled through the "clipping" process there and then, thus rendering it to all intents and purposes completely useless for internal LOS ID purposes pending receipt of his new passport. Since, as others have already stated, physical cancellation of an existing British passport is not supposed to take place until the replacement passport is collected, it looks to me very much like he was the victim of some bungling incompetent idiot in VFS who was no doubt taking a lead from their equally bungling incompetent masters in Her Majesty's Passport Office back in the UK!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 11:46 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I did mine at CNX Immig few months ago--easy process Dec 2021

got a new US pp thru the  thai mail--came with a letter for Immig from Bkk US cons

CNX imm told me to copy EACH page! from my OLD pp (sigh)

guided me thru it and I went after lunch so not too bad on wait time

they transferred my tm30 and dep card into the NEW pp with new stamp

(waiting to get lambasted from the good Dr Jack over my post)

"CNX imm told me to copy EACH page! from my OLD pp (sigh)"

Copy each page?

Does that mean using a copier and give the copies to the IO for their files?

Edited by JimmyJ

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Copy each page?

Yes that's what it means but be aware that this is not required at every immigration office.

Some would only want pages containing visa stamps (if any), extension stamps, reentry permits, identity page etc.

Rather than waste time inquiring with your imm office just photocopy all your pages. 

All bases covered. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

you need to ask for it from the embassy

The Australian embassy does a stamp in the new passport stating it is a replacement for the old passport and its number on it. No letter needed.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The Australian embassy does a stamp in the new passport stating it is a replacement for the old passport and its number on it. No letter needed.

Thanks Ubon.....however, the new Aussie passport is as clean as a whistle.

No stamps, just a sad looking old bloke peering at me????????.

I'm sure my long term agent will see me right if need be.

47 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks Ubon.....however, the new Aussie passport is as clean as a whistle.

Did you check the old one. It might be on the last couple of pages of the new one.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Did you check the old one. It might be on the last couple of pages of the new one.

Bingo Bloke. Found it in the oldie up the front.

I even wrote the new passport number within the stamp!

Just gotta know what you are looking for I guess.....or early onset of dementia?!

Once again you have proved yourself to be THE Go-To person.

Cheers

22 hours ago, barnsleyman said:

Your old passport is cancelled and the corner clipped as soon as your application for a  new passport is accepted, not when you receive your new one. Your old one can then only be used for ID purposes

Well that's strange because the 4 times I have renewed my PP in BKK they have done it after ????

5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Copy each page?

Well, that's exactly what Her Majesty's Passport Office back in the UK also require of us Brits when renewing our passports from Thailand!

A copy of each and every page, whether they contain visas and stamps or not, including the "Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary" statement on the inside front cover, plus 3 pages containing detailed explanatory notes in a variety of languages in microscopic typescript. Not to mention the front and back burgundy (changing to blue) covers for the sake of completeness!

And all copies must be in colour to boot! Doubt whether CNX Immigration are that fussy!!

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

Well that's strange because the 4 times I have renewed my PP in BKK they have done it after ????

Well you can thank your lucky stars that you haven't had the misfortune to encounter VFS's bungling incompetent idiot, then, in all probability!

11 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Copy each page?

I even went back to challenge this new guy at CNX immig--glasses....real jerk...the volunteer girls shy away and push me back to this guy who speaks english

I said in the past ive never had to do this--as im on PP #3....BUT as usual and right on track anything can, and WILL happen at immig......so I went to the copy shop behind immig that does copies--takes pics etc.....it was ridiculous as i apologized to folks waiting in line behind me...but if u have been in thailand long enough you will see its ALL about useless paperwork......

So yep every damn page of OLD passport for him to keep in some old box next to the Ark of the Covenant in a basement......but I knew I would never win the argument....was cheap to do the copies  was just the stupid point of it all

Makes him feel important maybe--otherwise easy process as I go back this week to try and get my 2nd covid ext.....

On 3/13/2022 at 10:46 PM, Daffy D said:

As an additional question.

Should the new passport be updated straight away or is it ok to wait until the annual visa renewal is due.  ?    

Good question. I have used an agent while we had travel restrictions over the last couple of years and they made a mistake that cost me. I got my new UK passport 4 months before the retirement extension (RE/visa) expired in my old passport and they told me they would make the changeover when the RE renewal was due. I gave them all the documents including the proforma but the immigration refused to do it saying I had to pay "overstay" from when my old passport ran out. They reduced the fine after an appeal but it still hurt.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

10 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Good question. I have used an agent while we had travel restrictions over the last couple of years and they made a mistake that cost me. I got my new UK passport 4 months before the retirement extension (RE/visa) expired in my old passport and they told me they would make the changeover when the RE renewal was due. I gave them all the documents including the proforma but the immigration refused to do it saying I had to pay "overstay" from when my old passport ran out. They reduced the fine after an appeal but it still hurt.

:w00t:  Good point 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 11:20 PM, DrJack54 said:

As they say in Thailand....Up to You.

No rule re timeframe for transfer of stamps. 

I put is off for several months and traveled often out and back into Thailand with both passports.

Wasn't due to being lazy.

Rather my reentry permit was issued at airport so would not be able to just visit CW for transfer. 

I would still need both pp to exit and re-enter. 

You need to have Stamps transfered prior to new extension.

Even that can be done on same time as extension.

"You need to have Stamps transfered prior to new extension.

Even that can be done on same time as extension."

See my reply to Daffy. It is the same old story, if they see an opportunity to make some money they take it.

I transferred once at CW in  after I lost my passport. Process is easy but the the wait was long, I remember. No they won't transfer your visa and they will stamp with spaces and write your visa type and visa number on the space. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

See my reply to Daffy. It is the same old story, if they see an opportunity to make some money they take it

Read that. I don't buy it.

Which immigration office? 

People have transferred stamps and visa information prior to extension as I outlined. 

I have never had an issue.

Added to that is you used an agent.

Find your account strange. 

Edit: just read follow your up post and you state that you use CW.

Why has no one else had the problem you outline. 

Edited by DrJack54

Another point that comes to mind is the Bank letter.

On my annual extension I go to the Bank the day before to get the required letter.  

Don't know if it matters, but if I had not got the visa stamp transferred to the new passport, the passport information would not match with the documents presented to Immigration. :blink:

Anyway, as some officers seem confused with multitasking I think its probably best to get the stamp transferred when I have the new passport and then a couple of months later the annual extension should go without any problem. :smile:

On 3/22/2022 at 5:13 AM, DrJack54 said:

Read that. I don't buy it.

Which immigration office? 

People have transferred stamps and visa information prior to extension as I outlined. 

I have never had an issue.

Added to that is you used an agent.

Find your account strange. 

Edit: just read follow your up post and you state that you use CW.

Why has no one else had the problem you outline. 

If you have been here any length of time then I would be amazed if you have never experienced the IO with a hangover or another problem that just makes it up as they go.

I had a similar thing at the border post from Lao 20 odd years ago. I refused to give him an overstay fine because he couldn't count. His superior eventually came over after 10 minutes arguing with a long queue behind building up and after a look at my p'port told him to stamp me in.

The agent was wrong to tell me to wait, but it isn't against the rules. They just crumbled and I had to pay him extra and the fine. After this year I will go back to doing it myself I think.

• Haha 1