Paving over Paradise….Chiang Mai Style.

SamSanuk

I walk by it everyday on Huay Kaew Road, cornered by Ratchhaphuek Alley leading into Santitham.

Corner Lot. Lots of green and big old trees. Kids sometimes play in among the tall weeds. 

Not anymore. Today they started to tear the trees down. For what I’m not so sure.

The food stall ladies who sit all hours on Ratchhaphuek already know that Summer heat is going to get worse without those old trees shielding them. 

I thought of Joni Mitchells song Big Yellow Taxi:

Don't it always seem to go 
That you don't know what you've got 
Till it's gone 
They paved paradise 
And put up a parking lot

8206BAD6-9E2F-46C3-B1ED-3B2EE878BB97.jpeg

They have done this every year since they moved the food vendors outside of the lot several years ago. Nothing new here.  Once or twice a year they use the lot for car parking for a day or two... I guess it's for graduation of the Tech college across the street.

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

They have done this every year since they moved the food vendors outside of the lot several years ago. Nothing new here.  Once or twice a year they use the lot for car parking for a day or two... I guess it's for graduation of the Tech college across the street.

Ok, we will see. But they did take down some big trees which is a shame for a two-day parking lot.

The last time I saw this chopping down trees was up the block on Huay Kaew Road for the newly built Hotel that has yet to have a customer. Go figure.

Edited by SamSanuk

3 hours ago, SamSanuk said:

Ok, we will see. But they did take down some big trees which is a shame for a two-day parking lot.

The last time I saw this chopping down trees was up the block on Huay Kaew Road for the newly built Hotel that has yet to have a customer. Go figure.

Do you remember when the moved all the food vendor out of the lot, and made them set up on the sidewalk outside? The only 'shop' remaining inside was the bike tire place. Then he got move out onto the sidewalk too. Then the turned the lot into a tent city for clothing vendors, which lasted just a few month before they kicked them all out? Then, two years ago they put up solar panels. How long did they last?

The odds are against them actually building something substantial on that property. More likely just complying with municipal mosquito control regulations.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Do you remember when the moved all the food vendor out of the lot, and made them set up on the sidewalk outside? The only 'shop' remaining inside was the bike tire place. Then he got move out onto the sidewalk too. Then the turned the lot into a tent city for clothing vendors, which lasted just a few month before they kicked them all out? Then, two years ago they put up solar panels. How long did they last?

The odds are against them actually building something substantial on that property. More likely just complying with municipal mosquito control regulations.

Tuesday: All remaining trees coming down. Concrete jungle. My banana seller, Miss Ya, is so sad. 

CC599B78-C58D-4DCF-8FFE-0D6C7E047976.jpeg

293EDC8B-058A-4EAE-BE78-29E64560B37E.jpeg

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

Who told you that it will be covered over with concrete?

Wait and see, I guess.

But why clear all the trees, if indeed just for parking? Mosquito control seems far fetched. 

If anyone knows different, look forward to the reason. ????

A32541F0-25B0-4418-81FF-57C217A71D5A.jpeg

Yes, seems to be the norm. I live in a kind of moobarn and the resident caretaker took it upon himself to cut down a huge beautiful tree and remove the kids play area in the shade underneath. He's turned it into parking lots, a nice little sideline earner for him I am sure...

• Thanks 1

This must be a very valuable plot, given its size and location, certainly too valuable to be used as a parking lot or vendor space indefinitely. It is adjacent to two condo buildings and a hotel, as can be seen in the photos. I suspect it is only a matter of time before it too becomes the site for a condominium or similar.

10 minutes ago, neilrob said:

This must be a very valuable plot, given its size and location, certainly too valuable to be used as a parking lot or vendor space indefinitely. It is adjacent to two condo buildings and a hotel, as can be seen in the photos. I suspect it is only a matter of time before it too becomes the site for a condominium or similar.

I agree, unfortunately.

In a world of unicorns and rainbows, a rich Thai would have purchased the land and made a nice park. Trees would have stayed. Room for vendors. Nightly events, maybe a concert shell. 

4 hours ago, neilrob said:

4 hours ago, SamSanuk said:

I agree, unfortunately.

In a world of unicorns and rainbows, a rich Thai would have purchased the land and made a nice park. Trees would have stayed. Room for vendors. Nightly events, maybe a concert shell. 

I've watched them clear this plot of valuable? land every year for the past 10 years. It has ALREADY been a place for food vendors, inside and outside, clothing vendors inside, temporary worker housing, solar panels, and temporary parking. None lasted very long.

Will this be the year for something permanent? Or just another unfinished condo block?
When they were excavating and building the Hop-Inn Hotel, those locals 'in the know' told us it was going to be a school. Then 'they' were certain it was going to be a medical clinic. This is Thailand. No one knows until the fat lady sings.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Valuable land = tire center???

If it is a tire center it appears the land size will make it 10X larger than any tire place currently in CM.  Is there something special about calling it a tire “center “?  Like they will sell tricycle size to 10 wheel truck tires in all brands plus have multiple movie theaters and 5 restaurants for the waiting room?

4 hours ago, SamSanuk said:

In this case, can’t stand being right. Talked to the boys with the plan.

New Tire Center … expected in 4 months.

Four months? To complete a substantial cement structure in Thailand? Or are they just planning to sell off the dirt lot?

Edited by FolkGuitar

5 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Valuable land = tire center???

If it is a tire center it appears the land size will make it 10X larger than any tire place currently in CM.  Is there something special about calling it a tire “center “?  Like they will sell tricycle size to 10 wheel truck tires in all brands plus have multiple movie theaters and 5 restaurants for the waiting room?

Ha! Would appreciate the restaurant. ????

In America, tire centers are fairly good size. You need a showroom for the tires and customer service. Then you have 3 or 4 bays to put the tires on, maybe with car lifts. Then you need parking. So, all in all, the center could take up the entire lot. 

Wait and see. I’ll post pictures as construction begins.

So far, the lady food vendors are hanging in, but one has to imagine they will be booted, or the construction itself will force them to move. 

On 3/19/2022 at 6:28 PM, NancyL said:

One upside of a tire center would be that it won't be multi-story and block the views of the residents of the surrounding condos and hotel.  Also, it won't stay open late or host loud events.

Guess it has been a while since you listened to the pneumatic drivers they use to remove and install the wheel lug nuts.  Even though it is a daytime event it would be rather like having construction nearby everyday with no end in sight.  Oh maybe closed Sunday but maybe not.

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 7:15 PM, Dante99 said:

Guess it has been a while since you listened to the pneumatic drivers they use to remove and install the wheel lug nuts.  Even though it is a daytime event it would be rather like having construction nearby everyday with no end in sight.  Oh maybe closed Sunday but maybe not.

Rebar arrives. PanSook Condominiums next door. Time to sell?

Gonna be a noisy few months of construction….then followed by Pneumatic drivers and lug nuts as you so rightly mentioned. Ugh!

6E5E1725-53AC-42E6-A637-0543913D9017.jpeg

On 3/23/2022 at 10:46 AM, SamSanuk said:

My lady friends in their makeshift food stalls are surviving but have been pushed close to the road.

Yet they smile and say Nid Noi. Little room.

TIT

7FFE43A9-6F97-4275-92DD-79CCE0CBB3AB.jpeg

162253DE-606E-48BD-8635-CFF510829B58.jpeg

I just bought some Bananas from her today.  She is still there but just like the photo. Really feel for her.  I first saw her selling bananas in the same spot in 2017.  She is like a warrior(out there in the heat and rain).  I hope she continues.  

On 3/23/2022 at 10:42 AM, SamSanuk said:

Rebar arrives. PanSook Condominiums next door. Time to sell?

Gonna be a noisy few months of construction….then followed by Pneumatic drivers and lug nuts as you so rightly mentioned. Ugh!

We lived on the 5th floor of Nakorn Ping, across the street from PanSook when it was being built.  It took months, almost a year and it was a comedy of errors to watch the construction. 

First the hole dug for the garage flooded and collapsed.  Then they dug again and brought in pumps and poured concrete as the pumps struggled to keep up with the flooding.  (Note to contractor:  don't dig big holes during rainy season)  I wonder how sound that concrete is.  

Then each floor went up, slowly, very slowly, with staff that appeared to mill about for most of the day.  They brought in an outside contractor crew who laid the plumbing in each floor just before the concrete was poured.  That contractor was obviously paid by the job, not the hour, because that crew really hustled, unlike the regular workers.

The crane would swing around within inches of the window where we ate our meals.  A little scary during breakfast to see a large crane heading straight at you.

The "balconies"  aren't proper balconies.  They can be accessed via a window, not a door and the railings are merely decorative.  After completion, a couple within view of our condo used theirs as a storeroom for all their junk.

The front steps of PanSook are a total joke.  They were built and torn out three times before whomever was in charge decided they were acceptable. 

Then when it was done, half of our view of Doi Suthep was gone.  If we were still in the same condo, I'd rejoice at the prospect of a low tire center going into the empty lot, with the construction progressing as quickly and professionally as it appears.  The sound of pneumatic tools during the day is a small price to pay for retaining the view and knowing that commerce is continuing in Chiang Mai, rather than having yet another shoddy condo building blocking views and sitting nearly empty. 

And yes, I agree, the banana lady and other food sellers will probably benefit with the increased customer traffic at the corner, in the long run.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I just bought some Bananas from her today.  She is still there but just like the photo. Really feel for her.  I first saw her selling bananas in the same spot in 2017.  She is like a warrior(out there in the heat and rain).  I hope she continues.  

Miss Ya is such a nice lady and she’s probably just making ends meet. Thank you for helping her out. When she makes corn I buy some. 

I wonder how one goes about making a more permanent stall with shade and a sign? 

12 hours ago, SamSanuk said:

Miss Ya is such a nice lady and she’s probably just making ends meet. Thank you for helping her out. When she makes corn I buy some. 

I wonder how one goes about making a more permanent stall with shade and a sign? 

I try and buy from her at least once or twice a week.  Pleasant lady and always a genuine warm smile.  In the past the entire street had vendors and a good coffee shop.  Many of the vendors are gone and the coffee shop closed a long time ago.  I hope at least Miss Ya and her friends can stay around.  

• Thanks 1