Four possible cases of BA.2.2 Omicron sub-variant detected in Thailand no cause for alarm

snoop1130

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

No such thing as herd immunity whatsoever I am afraid

Herd immunity is absolutely real.

It may not be achievable with our current Covid vaccines because they don't fully prevent people from catching the virus. 

Maybe that's what you meant? 

There's a good explanation here: 

"For example, if someone with measles is surrounded by people who are vaccinated against measles, the disease cannot easily be passed on to anyone, and it will quickly disappear again. This is called ‘herd immunity’, 'community immunity' or 'herd protection', and it gives protection to vulnerable people such as newborn babies, elderly people and those who are too sick to be vaccinated."

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/herd-immunity

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is why my GF tested yesterday and bingo positive....has a fever, upper respiratory symptoms, a cough, and fatigue.......Not bad enough yet to go to a hospital, and we are self isolating as I said in a previous post.

I have those exact symptoms plus a few more. I tested negative, so I just have man flu. 

Hope your GF gets over it fairly quickly like the majority seem to with Omicron. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, huangnon said:

Nope. The Thai work force (especially contractors), school teachers, schoolchildren, etc have to be ATK-tested every week, (or every three days for the big corporations here).

And those tests are not reported to a gov't agency, so they don't show up as a case.  I know a school that tests teachers.  If they are positive, they are sent home to isolate.   

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Perfectly healthy people at my work showing no symptoms actually cheer when they show positive on the weekly ATK as they are sent home for 7 days.

Everyone love a paid week off work !!

It sounds like a particularly crappy place to work if people would rather be sick.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Perfectly healthy in what way.....Symptoms do start to show, while others immune system suppresses them.  You sure your not a denier...

They show zero symptoms.

not a denier, just think its all <deleted>.

4 hours ago, Credo said:

It sounds like a particularly crappy place to work if people would rather be sick.   

Yeah cause a paid holiday is such a crappy alternative to working.

Edited by Ralf001

8 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Yup.

Meanwhile it may emerge that I will win the lottery tomorrow.

Such is life and we all move on in our own ways.

Take care and good health to you.

Those people who choose not to vaccinate increase the odds of a new variant emerging in the future. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dialemco said:

This was to be expected Thailand is one of last countries to maintain a state of emergency and entry restictions in respect of covid. Why?

Because I guess they deem it prudent to do so and not follow other countries blindly.... their policies so far have saved lives, whereas other supposedly more advanced countries have killed far too  many with their approach. Thailand need not listen to the whining from overseas.

A post and reply citing information as factual have been removed.  When making a claim, please supply a supporting link from a credible source.  

Also removed is a post which violates Fair Use Policy.   Please only quote the headline and 3 sentences and then a link to the article.  

45 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Those people who choose not to vaccinate increase the odds of a new variant emerging in the future. 

Ok Bloke, last comment from me.

I think you will find that some people opt not to be vaccinated for many different reasons and some people simply fall throo the cracks due to demographics, bad communication etc. This I can understand.

Some people such as myself have been appropriately vacc'd purely for business, not medical requirements.

If Fear, to some, is the "new normal" so be it.

As I said earlier, good luck and good health with your future variants.

As Zappata allegedly stated - "Better to die on your feet than live on your knees".

I'll have a beer for you with my future lottery winnings.

End of Story????????????????????????????

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 1:18 PM, Scott said:

I don't know that it's worth panicking over but I also don't think it's worth ignoring.   Omicron is more transmissible than previous variants and this sub-variant is thought to be even more transmissible.  That means that considerably more people will catch it.  The vaccines are not as effective against Omicron and this sub-variant, so there will be more vaccinated people getting sick, but the rate of hospitalization will be considerably lower for them.

The entire issue has to do with numbers.  Even with lower levels of hospitalization, when you have a huge number infected, the actual number of hospitalizations will be high and deaths will increase.  

pretty much fake news here. there is no correlation. New variants are very weak "assuming vaccinated population". In Thailand anyone who wants to be vaccinated can already be fully vaccinated, and they're not going to be hospitalized. They'll get a cold. maybe a sore throat, or many no symptoms. If someone requires a test to tell them they are sick... how sick are they really?

Those who choose not to be vaccinated are accepting the risk for themselves. Let's not have a 3rd year of useless shutdowns, and masses of people not able to make a livable wage.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Trvlr55 said:

pretty much fake news here. there is no correlation. New variants are very weak "assuming vaccinated population". In Thailand anyone who wants to be vaccinated can already be fully vaccinated, and they're not going to be hospitalized. They'll get a cold. maybe a sore throat, or many no symptoms. If someone requires a test to tell them they are sick... how sick are they really?

Those who choose not to be vaccinated are accepting the risk for themselves. Let's not have a 3rd year of useless shutdowns, and masses of people not able to make a livable wage.

You've been misinformed. Fully vaccinated ie with 2 doses are being admitted to ICU, being ventilated and dying. This is happening with increasing numbers here in Thailand. Why? Because Omicron evades the current vaccines. That's why a booster is needed to help combat this. Yes its more so in the very elderly, immune compromised and those with underlying diseases but there are a lot of those about.

There is no indication of shutdowns here in Thailand where are you getting this from? It is in fact the opposite.

On 3/15/2022 at 8:43 AM, realfunster said:

Quite. HK have totally mismanaged their COVID policy under CCP instructions, continuing to pursue the canutian nirvana of zero-COVID. When no water is let through the dam and insufficient sandbags have been placed, the dam eventually breaks and the flood consumes all. Handy to be able to deflect some of the blame for this situation onto a new variant.

What HK is now experiencing, is in effect, their first COVID wave. We saw similar in Thailand last year around April, after 15 months of the dam holding here. It hit hard.

Tragic as it is, this wave of undoubtedly milder Omicron in HK, will likely take out some elderly, those with co-morbidities (remember that phrase?) and unvaccinated. 

I await clear evidence of this strain being more dangerous.

.... and what a wonderful opportunity to obtain sample DNA of nearly every individual in HKG under the guise of mandatory PCR testing of an entire population (or as near as damn it) ...... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Dr Fauci was such a big promoter of it. He's been wrong on so many things that no normal person would ever listen to him again. 

Of course he was and where is he know...seems to have gone into hiding.....thats where his BFF the one who believed in him should also be, in hiding....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Because I guess they deem it prudent to do so and not follow other countries blindly.... their policies so far have saved lives, whereas other supposedly more advanced countries have killed far too  many with their approach. Thailand need not listen to the whining from overseas.

Lets see what happends on friday meeting.Health ministry propose to scrap PCR test before arriving thailand.Next week i have to take a PCR-test at the airport in norway in a private clinic.Cost me about 10.000 THB.This is express service.If i test at a goverment staion i will loose my fligth because i will take 1-3 days before i get the answer.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Of course he was and where is he know...seems to have gone into hiding.....thats where his BFF the one who believed in him should also be, in hiding....

You got that about as wrong as you get things.  Fauci does and always wielded a great deal of power and influence.  He is a brilliant and experienced person.  He was hated and vilified all the way back to the AIDS epidemic.  He did not falter then and he isn't faltering now.   

Unlike many, he keeps his eye on the ball.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, stigar said:

Lets see what happends on friday meeting.Health ministry propose to scrap PCR test before arriving thailand.Next week i have to take a PCR-test at the airport in norway in a private clinic.Cost me about 10.000 THB.This is express service.If i test at a goverment staion i will loose my fligth because i will take 1-3 days before i get the answer.

It is time to move on here in Thailand, I think new infections have peaked. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

From the article, and something we have all discussed here in these OP's for a long time, and for some of us this point tells the real story.

"These increase are occurring despite reductions in testing in some countries, which means the cases we're seeing are just the tip of the iceberg," WHO's head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

From the article, and something we have all discussed here in these OP's for a long time, and for some of us this point tells the real story.

"These increase are occurring despite reductions in testing in some countries, which means the cases we're seeing are just the tip of the iceberg," WHO's head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters.

The "real story" I get from that comment is that  the actual number of infections is far higher than the official figure. In other words, the "tip of the iceberg".

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The "real story" I get from that comment is that  the actual number of infections is far higher than the official figure. In other words, the "tip of the iceberg".

Bingo you have made the point I was trying to make in a lot fewer words.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 7:55 PM, Danderman123 said:

Your post is not consistent with reality. 

Yes, most people have mild symptoms with the current variant. But, the unvaccinated are filling up hospitals.

And, a new variant may emerge that is more lethal.

I seem to be the only person on the planet to assert that it is logically and biologically impossible for a new variant to be both more transmissible AND more lethal, other than in localised and temporary pockets. Transmissibility necessarily trumps lethality. Lethality necessarily reduces transmissibility.

Glad to be of assistance to the rest of mankind.

10 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

I seem to be the only person on the planet to assert that it is logically and biologically impossible for a new variant to be both more transmissible AND more lethal, other than in localised and temporary pockets. Transmissibility necessarily trumps lethality. Lethality necessarily reduces transmissibility.

You missed the Delta variant then? That went global and its temporary status lasted long enough to kill more people than any other strain so far.

"Delta was believed to be more than twice as contagious as previous variants, and studies have shown it to be more likely than the original virus to put infected people in the hospital."

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/5-things-to-know-delta-variant-covid#:~:text=Delta was believed to be,infected people in the hospital.

Edited by Bkk Brian

25 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

Credentials for you and your published scientific works would be a start to prove your post, but then we know what you have written is misinformation unless logically speaking your Spock....

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2022 at 3:10 PM, Mr Derek said:

As I recall, you've tried this on on before and I cited evolutionary biologists and epidemiologists to point out the essential nullity of your assertion. For one thing it depends on how lethal and how transmissible. While lethality in and of itself my cut down on transmission, transmissibility obviously increases it. It depends on the degree of each. So, no, it is by no means an absolute, or anything close to it, that an increase in lethality necessarily leads to a decline in transmission.

On 3/15/2022 at 12:18 AM, Scott said:

I don't know that it's worth panicking over but I also don't think it's worth ignoring.   Omicron is more transmissible than previous variants and this sub-variant is thought to be even more transmissible.  That means that considerably more people will catch it.  The vaccines are not as effective against Omicron and this sub-variant, so there will be more vaccinated people getting sick, but the rate of hospitalization will be considerably lower for them.

The entire issue has to do with numbers.  Even with lower levels of hospitalization, when you have a huge number infected, the actual number of hospitalizations will be high and deaths will increase.  

Insightful Scott.  Cheers mate.   I can understand BKK rates increase, just more people, however the southern provinces, NST, Songkla/Hat Yai are a bit of a mystery... One reported reason was relatives visiting high risk areas, and then spreading within the family.  However, reports indicate for many 5 -10 days of rest and many improve.

• Like 1