Russian embassy in Thailand blocks foreign media from attending press conference on Ukraine invasion

webfact

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why would a Russian press outlet offer any view that was anything other than the Kremlin's or Putin's? They are under threat of arrest, or death. Do you really even consider the possibility that there is anything even bordering on free press in Russia? Ever, much less at this time? Really? Why allow a Kremlin party organ, specifically designed for disinformation, into the room?

that's being very simplistic, and the exact same playbook of Putin, oh the irony

despite our free press, we all know 'peer' pressure and self-censorship is rampant in the west, and lazy main stream journalists love to take the official "party" line to make a story. It's not news anymore, it's entertainment.

the only positive thing is that our free environment make it possible to have dissident views, even though they are often ridiculed or marginalized by the main press corps, simply because they didn't source it.

but what we are doing with Russia Today and other news organization from Russia is criminal and against all our "free press" principles.

otherwise we become no better than Putin himself,

why should we be afraid of Putin propaganda? aren't we capable of facing their views? well, apparently we can't, maybe some type of "truth" might be hurting us after all. Look how the press was "manipulating" the American public in 2003 to "sell a story with 911" for the illegal Iraq invasion. US journalists couldn't have been that "naive", they were complicit in the deception.

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That's a totally different issue, isn't it. My post was about banning journalists and your false equivalence is about banning a propaganda network from broadcasting in the country.

well, I am sure they are welcomed with open arms when they show up at press conference.

• Sad 1

the question remains, why should we be afraid of Russia news organization? if they are lying, and our news organizations are lying, how are they different? simply because it's Putin? so at the end Putin is right, it's all about marginalizing him and the Russians. And I think the Russians will remember for a long time our over-reactions for banning them from the financial system when they had nothing to do with the war as simple citizens.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

the question remains, why should we be afraid of Russia news organization? if they are lying, and our news organizations are lying, how are they different? simply because it's Putin? so at the end Putin is right, it's all about marginalizing him and the Russians. And I think the Russians will remember for a long time our over-reactions for banning them from the financial system when they had nothing to do with the war as simple citizens.

Whe you say "our media organisations are you referring to MSM or wingnut organisations? I would not say there was an equivalence in truth telling between RT and MSM organisations which have journalistic standards. It is a common refrain among propagandists to claim that all sides are equal when that's patently not the case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

referring to MSM or wingnut organisations

What are "MSM or wingnut organisations"?

I do not believe I should have to "Google" some obscure, to me, phrase!

Please elucidate and remember you are posting to people from a multitude of countries!  We do not all understand your, I assume,  local jargon!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DezLez said:

What are "MSM or wingnut organisations"?

I do not believe I should have to "Google" some obscure, to me, phrase!

Please elucidate and remember you are posting to people from a multitude of countries!  We do not all understand your, I assume,  local jargon!

If I make a claim to some facts then I'll link. If I use a word or definition you don't understand then that's your issue to sort out.

• Confused 2

On 3/15/2022 at 4:11 PM, jerrymahoney said:

Probably something similar to this:

EMBASSY OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION IN THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND
Foreign Ministry statement on the EU’s role in the developments in Ukraine

2 MAR 2022

https://thailand.mid.ru/en/news/6342-zayavlenie-mid-rossii-o-roli-evrosoyuza-v-sobytiyakh-na-ukraine-2

and they do have the guts/face to publicize this type of propaganda.....

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Whe you say "our media organisations are you referring to MSM or wingnut organisations? I would not say there was an equivalence in truth telling between RT and MSM organisations which have journalistic standards. It is a common refrain among propagandists to claim that all sides are equal when that's patently not the case.

Well, the MSM certainly tows the party line and is highly biased. And they did really drop the ball when it came to Iraq, for instance. 

Would the editors have been executed had they went out on a limb, and called out Cheney for being the liar and warmonger he was? Maybe, maybe not. But, they sure would have been ostracized. 

RT is a bit more extreme. CNN is occasionally critical of the WhiteHouse and Biden. RT is never, ever critical of the Kremlin and Putin. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/15/2022 at 5:25 PM, Isaan sailor said:

This begs the question: who now would vacation in Russia—besides Chinese communists, North Koreans, Iranians and North Yemenis?

maybe some Thais as well  555

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, the MSM certainly tows the party line and is highly biased. And they did really drop the ball when it came to Iraq, for instance. 

Would the editors have been executed had they went out on a limb, and called out Cheney for being the liar and warmonger he was? Maybe, maybe not. But, they sure would have been ostracized. 

RT is a bit more extreme. CNN is occasionally critical of the WhiteHouse and Biden. RT is never, ever critical of the Kremlin and Putin. 

Many, many MSM organisations have disparaged Dick Cheney. At the time everyone, even myself were caught out by the CIA's lies but once the truth became known they have no shown any reticence to call him out.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/08/remembering-why-americans-loathe-dick-cheney/244306/

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Many, many MSM organisations have disparaged Dick Cheney. At the time everyone, even myself were caught out by the CIA's lies but once the truth became known they have no shown any reticence to call him out.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/08/remembering-why-americans-loathe-dick-cheney/244306/

Correct. But that was in hindsight. Even though there was never any concrete proof of the yellowcake and Iraq's possession of WMD's, Cheney, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, and the neocon maniacs were given a free pass at the time. It was only much later that they were called out, when the coast was clear and the risks were low. 

What was accomplished in Iraq? Anything? And at what cost? Trillions? And how many Iraqi and allied lives? The press needs to be infinitely more vigilant, determined, willing to take risks, and courageous, for a democracy to be a real, functioning democracy. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Correct. But that was in hindsight. Even though there was never any concrete proof of the yellowcake and Iraq's possession of WMD's, Cheney, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, and the neocon maniacs were given a free pass at the time. It was only much later that they were called out, when the coast was clear and the risks were low. 

Were the MSM expected to call out the CIA for lying on no evidence at the time? Did they have even a scintilla of a reason to determine that the CIA was lying at the time? Would it have been responsible for them to have done so without solid evidence?

Edited by ozimoron

41 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

If I make a claim to some facts then I'll link. If I use a word or definition you don't understand then that's your issue to sort out.

Thank you for (NOT) explaining your post!

What is the point of a post if you think it makes sense to you but is meaningless to others?

I still do not understand it and I am not going to "Google" it.

Please do not bother responding as I assume that it will only be as undecipherable as your last two posts!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DezLez said:

Thank you for (NOT) explaining your post!

What is the point of a post if you think it makes sense to you but is meaningless to others?

I still do not understand it and I am not going to "Google" it.

Please do not bother responding as I assume that it will only be as undecipherable as your last two posts!

MSM is Main Stream Media.  RT is Russian Television or Russian based propaganda anti western views.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 4:34 AM, spidermike007 said:

Are we to believe the latest poll showing 59% of the Russian people support this war against mostly  women and children? Likely the Russian people have no idea what is really happening. 

They are struggling to exert total control here, as they do at home. If the media here was not as morally bankrupt as the Russian government is, they would refuse to appear unless all journalists were invited. However, they are used to being pressured, cajoled and censored by Prayuth and his minions. 

As time goes on, Russia appears to be increasing more desperate. They do not seem to enjoy being the world's greatest pariah. They are, and deservedly so. Having a despot dictator for a leader comes at a high cost. Russia is an embarrassment to our entire civilization, and that is saying alot. 

Russian people are zombies. They don't have independent mass media and don't have any intelligence to search for the information from other sources, including foreign media. 

On 3/15/2022 at 5:25 PM, Isaan sailor said:

This begs the question: who now would vacation in Russia—besides Chinese communists, North Koreans, Iranians and North Yemenis?

It might depend on the entry requirements and covid restrictions. ????

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2022 at 9:34 AM, spidermike007 said:

Are we to believe the latest poll showing 59% of the Russian people support this war against mostly  women and children? Likely the Russian people have no idea what is really happening. 

They are struggling to exert total control here, as they do at home. If the media here was not as morally bankrupt as the Russian government is, they would refuse to appear unless all journalists were invited. However, they are used to being pressured, cajoled and censored by Prayuth and his minions. 

As time goes on, Russia appears to be increasing more desperate. They do not seem to enjoy being the world's greatest pariah. They are, and deservedly so. Having a despot dictator for a leader comes at a high cost. Russia is an embarrassment to our entire civilization, and that is saying alot. 

80% actually. All children in Poland already. Everyone has their own truth and this does not mean that your truth is smelling better.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

amen to that, you can execute "socially" and "politically" a journalist, and it's a done on a regular basis, hence why the majority now "self-censore"

let's not forget the Yellow Cake episode in the WSJ journal, and the CIA outing of a wife's diplomat for calling out Dick Cheney BS on Iraq WMD

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

But that was in hindsight. Even though there was never any concrete proof of the yellowcake and Iraq's possession of WMD's, Cheney, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, and the neocon maniacs were given a free pass at the time. It was only much later that they were called out, when the coast was clear and the risks were low. 

amen to that, brother

very easy to be "outraged" when everyone is caught with their pants down,

I was outraged during that episode, and can't believe anyone with a braincell couldn't have known they were being lied to, and chose to "follow" the party line instead.

can't have it both ways now, with Putin war in Ukraine. He learned from the best playbook, the USA :)

• Thanks 1

Some of the propaganda that was fed to the Thai press at the conference

Thai-Russian ties still strong despite Bangkok voting against Moscow: Russian ambassador

Tomikhin also defended his country’s military operation in Ukraine, strongly insisting that civilian infrastructure such as schools or residential buildings were “never targeted”. The priority, he stated, was to “demilitarise” only the military structure in Ukraine.

Regarding a humanitarian corridor, which Ukraine accused Moscow of not honouring, the ambassador guaranteed that the Russian army would allow people from surrounding cities in Ukraine to evacuate to safety each day from 10am. But he blamed Ukraine’s armed forces for “not allowing the people to leave the cities” and holding them “hostage against Russia’s army”.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40013437

• Like 1

Ukraine now how their own press briefing on Friday. No mention of banning foreign press because of covid restrictions

"After Russian Ambassador to #Thailand gave Russia's account on the invasion of #Ukraine or Russia's "special military operations" to Thai journalists Tuesday, the Embassy of Ukraine will hold its own press con on Friday at the Conrad Hotel."

FN-fOVNaUAA8RKJ.jpg.902d32dc9678342c060fe0b8432ea6f5.jpg

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Were the MSM expected to call out the CIA for lying on no evidence at the time? Did they have even a scintilla of a reason to determine that the CIA was lying at the time? Would it have been responsible for them to have done so without solid evidence?

Do you remember Valerie Plame and Joe Wilson? Their lives were essentially ruined by Cheney, for questioning the veracity of the information they were using to justify the war. It was flawed from the beginning. The MSM not calling them out was just cowering from the inevitable.