With Vietnam now apparently open with similar requirements as Cambodia, which is better for a "border run", Vietnam or Cambodia?

As the title says, Vietnam is apparently now open with only a pre-flight RT-PCR test within 72 hours of arrival, with visas returning to pre-covid procedures.  This means it is, in theory, just as east to get into Vietnam as it is to get into Cambodia.  With that in mind, which place is better to go to get a new visa for Thailand?  Vietnam or Cambodia?

My instinct is to say Vietnam, based on which place is nicer to visit (I especially miss the coffee), but what about getting a visa?  Is one country known for being easier on foreigners trying to get visas for Thailand?

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/foreign-visitors-can-travel-freely-with-negative-covid-test-health-ministry-4439344.html

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Historically, the Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh City and the Thai embassy in Hanoi used to be quite friendly, while the same cannot be said about the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh. If you're talking about tourist visas for people who have spent a lot of time in Thailand, that is.

What it's like now is anyone's guess.

I had a theory about this, many years ago, when comparing the ease of getting visas in Cambodia vs. Laos.  I wondered if maybe Thailand wanted people to do their visa runs in Laos rather than Cambodia (for whatever reason) and therefore made it easier to get them in the former and harder in the latter.  No idea if that is the case though.

If this is somewhere near being true, hopefully this will continue to be the case now.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Caldera said:

No, but they can apply for an eVisa for $25.

Things must have changed.

Previously USA folk could obtain a multiple entry one year tv.

Only country that could.

They have no visa exempt entry.

Seems they can obtain eVisa. Is that single entry 30 day? 

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, connda said:

So the new trick isn't getting out of Thailand, but getting back in.  Still isn't ready for visa runs.

I agree.

IMO the covid extensions will continue after March 25, however that doesn't help everyone.

Some now have no options apart from an exit.

Bit crazy in my thinking untill some land borders open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Only country that could.

The one year is still available. I know of someone who got it this week, but they applied at the Vietnamese consulate in San Francisco, California.

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Only country that could.

The eVisa is for 30 days and single entry, correct. It's the cheapest option for those who cannot enter visa exempt. All the other pre-Covid visa options such as the multi entry visa you've mentioned should also be available again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Onerak said:

Are US passport holders allowed visa free entry into Vietnam? If so, I would say vietnam is better for $100 round trip.

Cost you more than that.  Is insurance still required?  Is the SHA + and PCR still mandatory?  

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I agree.

IMO the covid extensions will continue after March 25, however that doesn't help everyone.

Some now have no options apart from an exit.

Bit crazy in my thinking untill some land borders open.

I was at cnx immig today and the volunteers would disagree with your post, but then again anything I say doesnt meet your "standards"..

(reminder this is what the volunteers told me, but im nailed to the cross waiting)

28 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Cost you more than that.  Is insurance still required?  Is the SHA + and PCR still mandatory?  

For Vietnam, my understanding is only supervised antigen test 24hrs before or RT-PCR test 72hrs before is required.  No quarantine hotel required but I think you need 10k covid insurance.

Edited by shdmn

25 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

It sounds like you still need pre-departure test, insurance and day one test with stay in quarantine style hotel to enter Thailand.

There's supposedly going to be some sort of discussion on Friday about reducing the entry requirements though.  Possibly reduced insurance and no test on entry, but we'll have to see what they actually come up with.

If they want to compete with now Cambodia and Vietnam, they need to drop something.

10 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It sounds like you still need pre-departure test, insurance and day one test with stay in quarantine style hotel to enter Thailand.

There's supposedly going to be some sort of discussion on Friday about reducing the entry requirements though.  Possibly reduced insurance and no test on entry, but we'll have to see what they actually come up with.

If they want to compete with now Cambodia and Vietnam, they need to drop something.

Rumour has it the discussion on Friday will be about dropping the pre-departure test, not the test on entry. So the risk of testing positive on entry would still remain, putting off the vast majority of travellers to Thailand.

Great opportunity for Cambodia/Vietnam to attract all the would-be Thailand tourists. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Rumour has it the discussion on Friday will be about dropping the pre-departure test, not the test on entry. So the risk of testing positive on entry would still remain, putting off the vast majority of travellers to Thailand.

Great opportunity for Cambodia/Vietnam to attract all the would-be Thailand tourists. 

Most tourists who go to Cambodia usually start off in Thailand, until Thailand opens up fully cambodia ain't gonna see much tourist action. 

Vietnam is a great option if you're one of the 13 countries who don't require a visa (a 24 hr prior departure ATK is all that's required)

(I'm thinking US, Australia and New Zealand may not yet be forgiven for the 50 years ago Vietnam War?)

"Vietnam’s government on March 15 agreed to resume its visa exemption policy for 13 countries for up to 15 days regardless of the purpose of entry. This applies to citizens of Belarus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Norway, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, and the UK"

https://www.vietnam-briefing.com/news/covid-19-vietnam-travel-updates-restrictions.html/

Edited by aussiexpat

7 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I was at cnx immig today and the volunteers would disagree with your post

When an immigration officer suggests anything relating to covid extensions just disregard it.

As for volunteers, lucky to find their way to the immigration office.

When folk suggest in forum if CE will continue or not it's just guess work.

Everyone has an opinion.

I think they will be continued.

One more time would see it out. imo.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

No

Maybe Malaysia and Laos soon. But it will not be easy.

Sorry to ask but what do you mean by not easy? Do you mean like to decide to open or not OR like crossing the border. I asked because might need a trip to laos soon. Thnx

Edited by problemfarang

4 minutes ago, Homburg said:

.  It was negative and so 15 minutes later I was outside in the sunshine starting my holiday

First up...thanks for the report.

So with regards your negative test. What happens if it's positive? 

• Like 1