Multiple Visa Exemptions

Hi. From my understanding non Thais are allowed 2 x visa exemptions from land borders and unlimited travelling via airports per calendar year (though I seen one website say maximum of 6)

Has anyone experienced any recent problems travelling through airports on visa exemption having done so a few times prior in the last 12 months?

I’ve travelled 2 times last year and 2 times this year since March 2021. 

I work offshore and only get my flights a few days before travelling so between getting the ThaiPass and supplying the necessary info for an online visa (which I believe takes up to 10 working days) isn’t ideal. I get circa 4 weeks off at a time so obviously the 30 days exempt is usually good for me but I don’t want to arrive next time if this will be a problem. 

I intend once things get semi back to normality to head to Penang for Multi O based on Thai daughter.

Many Thanks in advance guys.

Immigration came out with a guidance for visa exempt entries several years ago. It was basically to watch for people doing them to live here long term. Your history at this time does not fit that guidance.

That was started before the land border crossing entries were limited to 2 per calendar year.

• Like 2

I have read posts that indicate Thailand's e-visa system now supports multiple Non O visas. If your nationality permits applications through the e-visa site, it might be worth trying to get a multiple Non O that way. If successful, the visa is now sent to you via email.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for advice. I think for near term I will apply for Multi Entry Tourist Visa to keep me right and give me time to sort out Multi O (have discussed this on a different thread end of last year).

With regards the Multi Entry Tourist Visas, for evidence provided, would the embassy accept visiting my daughter as valid reason or would they reject this on insisting I get Non O, bearing in mind a single Non O is of no use to me as I only stay max 4 weeks at a time. As for Multi O online I did look a few months back but didn’t see this option.

Thank you again. Much appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Richard3456 said:

With regards the Multi Entry Tourist Visas, for evidence provided, would the embassy accept visiting my daughter as valid reason or would they reject this on insisting I get Non O, bearing in mind a single Non O is of no use to me as I only stay max 4 weeks at a time. As for Multi O online I did look a few months back but didn’t see this option.

I don't think you have to give any reason for a multiple entry tourist visa.

On the e visa site it does no show the multiple entry option for a non-o visa until you start doing the application and it depends upon where your are applying for it 

20 minutes ago, Richard3456 said:

With regards the Multi Entry Tourist Visas, for evidence provided, would the embassy accept visiting my daughter as valid reason.......

Your reason is for tourism.  That's it. 

I was under the impression that METV can only be obtained in home country or country where you are a permanent resident. 

Edited by DrJack54

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Immigration came out with a guidance for visa exempt entries several years ago. It was basically to watch for people doing them to live here long term. Your history at this time does not fit that guidance.

That was started before the land border crossing entries were limited to 2 per calendar year.

I am pondering my options right now, too. Had an METV and two VE entries before the pandemic hit. After that visa extensions via agents, incl. a retirement extension.

Planning to leave later this year for about a year. Returning to Thailand (after a year, or so), I am unsure to what would be my best option to re-enter Thailand 'without problems'. I considered these, so far:

1. VE entry, being at the mercy of immigration officers,

2. SETV from a third country (immigration risks as in 1.),

3. getting another retirement extension for a year and a RE permit (for good money), but "wasting" the better of it, as I plan to be 'away' for almost the entire time. (Is returning this way without trouble? I mean 'retirement' is a valid reason to travel often, and for extended times to Thailand, isn't it? Plus, it's an extension by immigration, rather than a visa. - Has anyone ever been stopped at the border, with an extension and a RE permit?)

(Remark: I'm not interested to fly to my home country for a visa, or to deposit 800,000 baht in a bank.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Remark: I'm not interested to fly to my home country for a visa, or to deposit 800,000 baht.

Ok so that rules out obtaining non O and extension.

You have option to use agent for that visa and extension.

Where do you plan to obtain a METV? 

Think your options are clear assuming this starts after borders are open and entry requirements to Thailand and surrounding countries minimal. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Ok so that rules out obtaining non O and extension.

You have option to use agent for that visa and extension.

Where do you plan to obtain a METV? 

Think your options are clear assuming this starts after borders are open and entry requirements to Thailand and surrounding countries minimal. 

I have no plans to obtain an METV. I was able to obtain one in a third country in 2019, but this is 2022... As mentioned, I can get another extension and a RE permit, but would 'use' only the last 2 months, or so. My other options are VE entry and a SETV, but I don't know, upon arrival, how 'strict' they are now about 'counting days in the country'. Another problem is that my passport is almost full, so not really room for more visa extension stamps, but with a VE entry I could easily 'make it back to Thailand', and then get a new passport.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Your reason is for tourism.  That's it. 

I was under the impression that METV can only be obtained in home country or country where you are a permanent resident. 

It states for online tourist visa application that short visits to see family are a valid reason. When you apply online for METV it says “…you need to prove you have genuine reason to visit Thailand on regular basis”…. This is the point I’m a bit wary on as they might say I will visit regularly to see my daughter and to get a Non O.

Yes, I can apply for METV through local embassy online, but if they reject you METV application then the difference in money will not be refunded to that of the single entry.  Anyway, I will apply for the METV l and see what happens. Worst case will hopefully get a single entry. Many Thanks again all.

C9961369-08E8-4791-BA6D-8598D2333A18.thumb.jpeg.29683e6b9737410777e49b965b783ae1.jpeg

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Has anyone ever been stopped at the border, with an extension and a RE permit?)

Historically, I can remember no cases where anyone was denied entry with a re-entry permit. I can recall at least one case of someone coming back with a re-entry permit in conjunction with a Non Ed where they were hassled, claiming they were not really studying, but ultimately allowed back in.

• Like 1