Government Urged to Relax Travel Restrictions

snoop1130

0aa13ef07c2f37e37c50cf2e7d07e885_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Private sectors have urged the government to further relax regulations for visitors to attract more foreign visitors and stimulate the tourism sector.

According to Chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) Supant Mongkolsuthree, Thailand should suspend restrictions such as the Test & Go scheme and RT-PCR testing and allow tourists who have previously received two doses of vaccines to enter the country without screening regulations.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The FTI chairman recommended the government lift these restrictions in order for the tourism industry to benefit during the peak season, which will last until April. Visitors should only be required to present their vaccine passports when they arrive in the country. Only RT-PCR testing and antigen self-testing on Day 5 should be mandatory, while insurance health coverage should be lowered to attract more visitors.

Meanwhile, Public Health Permanent Secretary Kiattiphum Wongrajit stated that the Ministry of Public Health will suggest relaxing pre-travel procedures at the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) meeting on Friday.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-18

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

money talks, citizens life not that important even if the numbers tell otherwise

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/thailand/

Thailand

At peak

235 infections per 100K people reported last 7 days

Updated 5:15 PM IT

The average number of new infections reported in Thailand has been increasing for 7 days straight

COVID-19 infections in Thailand are at their peak — the highest daily average reported — now at 23,463 new infections reported each day.

There have been 3,276,098 infections and 23,995 coronavirus-related deaths reported in the country since the pandemic began.

Updates

Edited by Mavideol

22 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Am due to do my pre-departure PCR test in the UK next Thursday (flying on Saturday/landing on Sunday) so following this topic with interest... 

if they cancel pre departure pcr it would be from 1st April.

If fact some news reported that it's already cancelled. I think that would be very likely

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

The pre departure test is not the issue. I can see the logic to it. It is the test on arrival and the risks involved if testing positive that is the game stopper. Testing again at day 5 is just dumb 

You have to recall the history behind it, and the paranoia supposedly a well tested person, being allowed free run in the country, (departure and arrival tests were clear)....then being positive caused. They had just got away from quarantine on arrival, (albeit to a 24 hour one), and a return to a longer period, was not wanted. 

Edited by jacko45k

Drop the requirement to find and buy a suitable insurance policy. Enough already. Just add a small fee at arrival (I know already doing that !)...and use that as an insurance pool for COvid only. Highly improbable that more than 10% of arrivals will require any medical treatment for Covid infection for their 2 weeks to 60 days here. Make it simpler not just different.

Takae care of testing at arrival, take care of insurance, get rid of Thai Pass, Vaccinated on arrival walk free after test, unvaccinated or  positive test get quarantine...sorry...have to be some restrictions.

Edited by tonray
  • Like 2

On the news tonight, I heard of spikes in cases and deaths, in China, in Hong Kong, and in Africa.

Maybe they are still battling the first 3 variants of COVID, but there are still some people dying from omicron

as well. Those who have had their 3 jabs should feel fortunate, I certainly am. I am also glad to be safe in

my own home and am staying cautious for a while longer, as there are new cases every day where I live

as well. I do hope that this pandemic is over during the Summer months, and that we can travel easier

after September or October. 

• Like 2

on top of cancelling pre-departure pcr, also sandbox was shortened to 5 days.

That's from 1st April.

Further easing planned from 1st May. That might mean dropping on arrival pcr and 1 night quarantine and replacing it with ATK at the airport. Insurance lowered to $10k,

But Thailand Pass will remain till 1st July, even probably beyond that.

Still, much depends how the sub-variant BA 2.2 will develop in Hong Kong, China and now already in Cambodia.

There were some 4 cases in Thailand, but contained and cleared. 

That article has same mistakes, but gives an overall picture

https://gulfnews.com/special-reports/new-covid-variant-found-in-india-uk-israel-hong-kong-thailand-and-cambodia-all-you-need-to-know-1.1647617736390 

Edited by internationalism

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Just add a small fee at arrival (I know already doing that !)...and use that as an insurance pool for COvid only.

An issue I see with that is the money initially is in the hands of immigration.... and really needs to get into the hands of the hospitals, hospitels whatever.....I suspect too many commissions.

11 minutes ago, Edwin Cameron said:

There are thousands of people all over the world wanting to come to Thailand but can't because they haven't been vaccinated and like myself wont change that fact. So you have potentially millions of dollars that you are missing out of by not letting them in and been vaccinated doesn't make any difference. Your choice Thailand

you can enter on 10 days quarantine, around 30k.

Before vax time people were entering, that since august 2020 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Edwin Cameron said:

been vaccinated doesn't make any difference.

Actually it does make a difference. Unvaccinated people are far more likely to present with severe symptoms requiring hospitalization vs vaccinated travelers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 8:07 AM, LukKrueng said:

Might have made sense at the time vaccines were introduced over a year ago with promises that the vaccines prevent getting infected and infecting others by very high %.

But at it is now well known that vaxed people can get infected and infect other pretty much as non vaccinated and the only advantage is (doubtly) reducing the risk for serious illness and death, it has no effect on the pandemic at all

Serious studies that have been peer reviewed and published in reputable medical journals indicate that, in vaccinated people who become infected, their viral load is lower and the infection is cleared more rapidly than in unvaccinated people.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, charmonman said:

Serious studies that have been peer reviewed and published in reputable medical journals indicate that, in vaccinated people who become infected, their viral load is lower and the infection is cleared more rapidly than in unvaccinated people.

BTW - a quick search for this issue shows many researchers that day the opposite. Here's 1 for example

https://www.ucdavis.edu/health/covid-19/news/viral-loads-similar-between-vaccinated-and-unvaccinated-people

On 3/20/2022 at 1:52 PM, LukKrueng said:

BTW - a quick search for this issue shows many researchers that day the opposite. Here's 1 for example

https://www.ucdavis.edu/health/covid-19/news/viral-loads-similar-between-vaccinated-and-unvaccinated-people

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/12/vaccinated-who-get-breakthrough-infections-less-contagious/