Getting unbanked with crypto

Peteblank

Money dosent' disapper without a reason. find the reason, maybe you are over reacting. Also next step would have been to open account in another bank(maybe kasikorn?). crypto is the last thing to do due to volatility. Even stablecoins can give you big surprises(read about tether usd, just one of many). Please do take care and update us. 

• Like 2

Well i dont want to say how much is in my account.

But i checked it in the morning and it said one number then that day i spent an x amount of money , which did show in my statement and then when i checked the amount again it didnt add up.

Edited by Peteblank
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Peteblank said:

But i checked it in the morning and it said one number then that day i spent an x amount of money , which did show in my statement and then when i checked the amount again it didnt add up.

Check your transaction logs or statements....has to show how they arrived at that balance.

crypto dot com is a bullhit with idiotic limits, they want you to deposit a huge sum in advance to be able to withdraw a whopping 500 USD/day.

and most "crypto" debit cards are the same btw.

• Like 1

You will need a home currency account and since you’re in Thailand you’ll need an thai Baht account for your day to day living expenses

Don’t think foreign ATM cards don’t charge fees they do

Stick to Thai banks for Monthly-daliy living expenses

As for savings and investments its UP 2 U

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peteblank said:

Atm skimming?  Used to be rampant when I lived in Phuket a decade or so ago (and their were lots of Russians).

6 hours ago, BackstreetBoys said:

Money dosent' disapper without a reason. find the reason, maybe you are over reacting. Also next step would have been to open account in another bank(maybe kasikorn?). crypto is the last thing to do due to volatility. Even stablecoins can give you big surprises(read about tether usd, just one of many). Please do take care and update us. 

Tether FUD is sooooooo 2021.

• Like 2

All of the minor fees they charge here are a bit annoying (mostly because they aren't clearly described unless you dig into your statements or ask your bank).  Krungsri I believe charges you 19 Baht a month for the 'service' of them notifying you when you have account activity.  Some ATM transactions are charged after a certain point.... some transfers are charged if certain conditions are met, etc.      

Just get a bank account in a country with real banking standards like Singapore and use it to feed your Thai 'expense' bank account(s).   There's only ONE fee I ever see in my SG accounts and that's when I do a SWIFT transaction.

Edited by Heng
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 8:18 AM, Jerno said:

It's a virtual currency.  You'll wake up one morning and your money will be virtually gone.

On the other hand, he'll wake one morning and find himself a crypto millionaire as long as he doesn't panic and sell everything in times of high volatility. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 1:08 PM, Lemsta69 said:

good idea mate, I have a crypto.com and love it to bits. unfortunately they can't send cards to Thailand because of regulatory reasons. most likely because the Thai government doesn't like the idea of being so easily able to spend one's crypto profits.

Oh, part of the idea was getting a crypto debit card so I'd have to rely less on the bank. Oh well, still, thank you for the information.

6 hours ago, Heng said:

All of the minor fees they charge here are a bit annoying (mostly because they aren't clearly described unless you dig into your statements or ask your bank).  Krungsri I believe charges you 19 Baht a month for the 'service' of them notifying you when you have account activity.  Some ATM transactions are charged after a certain point.... some transfers are charged if certain conditions are met, etc.      

Just get a bank account in a country with real banking standards like Singapore and use it to feed your Thai 'expense' bank account(s).   There's only ONE fee I ever see in my SG accounts and that's when I do a SWIFT transaction.

can one open an SG bank account from Thailand these days? if so which back because I thought you had to be an SG resident.

32 minutes ago, Peteblank said:

Oh, part of the idea was getting a crypto debit card so I'd have to rely less on the bank. Oh well, still, thank you for the information.

crypto.com have pretty savage fees too. plus they don't clearly state a lot of the fees upfront. eg. the "no ATM fees" is only at their end so doesn't include local operator fees and is only up to a very small limit per month. after that limit they chuck on a 2% fee.

topping up the card with crypto is also expensive. they claim no fees but they don't support limit trades for top-ups and the spread on their "vortex" system is atrocious. 

crypto is still very much the Wild West at the moment, hence a lot of the FUD from the crybabies ????

@Peteblank if you want to unbank your money, then i highly suggest you take a look at Nexo wallet.  *Link edited out*

Not only will you be able more interest that you will ever with a normal bank, but you will also be able to borrow money much easier and better pay back rates. 

If you are worried about crypto being unstable, then simply put your money in stable coins like USDT which always stay same as the US $

Edited by Scott
Link edited out

Most the people here replied to the reason you are considering a crypto currency account, rather than providing the advice you asked for.  I'll address both, but they are right in my opinion.  I don't think a crypto currency account/wallet is the answer to your problem.  While I am an advocate of cryptocurrency, I don't advocate it for daily spending.  It's more complicated to manage, rate volatility, speed, and depending what exchange and wallet you use, it could be less safe than your bank.  I agree with many posters here that it is best to get to the bottom of what is causing you bank money to disappear.  Go into a branch and ask them to help you.  It will likely be easier to discover the cause and fix it then it will be to switch to cryptocurrency for daily spending. Having said that, by all means, open a cryptocurrency account and learn!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1