Where to go for Songkran?

I am interested in advice on where to go in Thailand during Songkran to avoid the water wars. 

I am not interested in suggestions that I stay in my condo for 10 days, leave the country, or go to other places that go crazy during Songkran. 

What are especially welcome are actual experiences of people who have traveled during Songkran. 

Another great aspect in Luang Prubang is the day they all go out to Pak Ou Cave and wash the old cave-statues in the river. You, even as westerner-nobody, can also take part and wash a statue. Prob the best Mekong restaurant in SEA across the river, too. Since it's where 3 rivers meet, the carp are particularly sweet and meaty. 

It is their big religious celebration and also when Buddha takes a back seat and the Naga-spirits party down.

Going somewhere the faith (animist and Buddhist) is still strong and reading up a bit on the what's what is a very diff experience from getting doused by bargirls on Soi Post Office.

Here's a great book to read:

https://www.amazon.com/Festivals-Laos-Stuart-Fox/dp/9749511840

I'm guessing somewhere like Sukhothai or Ubon would offer a bit of the ol' time religion since they're pilgrimage sites.

8 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I am interested in advice on where to go in Thailand during Songkran to avoid the water wars. 

I am not interested in suggestions that I stay in my condo for 10 days, leave the country, or go to other places that go crazy during Songkran. 

What are especially welcome are actual experiences of people who have traveled during Songkran. 

Never been but I am assured by several people that in Chumphon it only happens on one day.

But I can confirm that in Bangkok it only lasts for 3 days, (possibly the idiot areas might try and stretch it a bit, but not so many idiots about this year) 

If unsure check with a few hotels. 

Edited by rott

19 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

Samed is a nightmare on the way to / from the pier on Songkran.

I've had people try to get into our car with flour/water. Slapped it all over the car including windscreen so you can't see. If returning to BKK head the other way out of town to get on the main road.

I've spent many, many Songkrans there - just go outside the "idiot hours" - early in the morning(first speedboats @ 8-830), hard to avoid on the way back unless you return very early. 

Samed Villa is always a good choice , easy to walk where you wish.

Yeah I have never ventured outside of the beach/hotel I stay at.  As a place to go and relax I think it is great.  Getting 2 and from the beach if you do it on the heavy water days is not the best idea.  

It used to be great when you could take the speedboat taxi to the beach of the hotel  you went to.

Did not even have to go into samed

I go to the far end of the island Sametville private beach 

I just try to avoid it as much as possible!

I just see absolutey no "Fun" in it whatsoever since 15 years ago I was riding my motorbike in Lamai and some C*NT threw a full bucket (pail) of iced water at me and had a head-on collision with a Rusky driving his big bike!

Luckily we only suffered "Road Rash", minor damage to bikes and us, but could have been Very Much Worse!

Since then I just get the booze in, food and just relax with a barbecue with me and GF and Chill at my place! 

I live near Lamai, Koh Samui and normally the water fight SH*T only lasts one day, so not so bad! :thumbsup:

My place at dawn......So not all bad!  :jap:

90474355_Bay1.jpg.d0ccf10a343ef8d33aa2c4476c4e1108.jpg

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 12:55 AM, hanuman2543 said:

I lived nearly ten years in Roi-Et and during Songhkran everybody is out of control. My experience, it is the same in the rest of Isaan.

For 10 days? There is NO comparison  between Roi et and Pattaya  during Songkran. Roi  et does not have 10s of thousands of young violent male tourists

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

For 10 days? There is NO comparison  between Roi et and Pattaya  during Songkran. Roi  et does not have 10s of thousands of young violent male tourists

I never said it is like Pattaya but it isn't quiet like you suggested. It lasts the whole Songhkran holidays and there are plenty young violent Thai males.

On 3/21/2022 at 11:45 AM, Dart12 said:

Did Pattaya ok water this songkran everywhere?
or just on certain streets?
or not at all?
I haven't seen anything specific

Ah, now there lies a tale. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 4:39 PM, Danderman123 said:

I can’t stand the week of water splashing

Me too, it is a gentle water sprinkling from brassy bowls festival that has gone right out of proportion.....

Buckets of water on your face while riding a motorbike on big roads behind pickup trucks.

Experienced that unfortunately - never again.

Idiocy rules during this festival.

Out to middle of nowhere...Bah humbug !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No different to COVID, and that's lasted 2 years.

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No different to COVID, and that's lasted 2 years.

"Step 1: Supermarket to stock up for 2 weeks

Step 2: Bunker in your home after barricading the door and putting black plastic on all exterior windows

Step 3: Make sure your Internet/Netflix bill is current"

That bears no resemblance  to my two years of covid at all. Zero similarities.

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

"Step 1: Supermarket to stock up for 2 weeks

Step 2: Bunker in your home after barricading the door and putting black plastic on all exterior windows

Step 3: Make sure your Internet/Netflix bill is current"

That bears no resemblance  to my two years of covid at all. Zero similarities.

you must live in a bad neighbour if you have to do all that during songkran.

On 3/21/2022 at 6:09 PM, LaosLover said:

Another great aspect in Luang Prubang is the day they all go out to Pak Ou Cave and wash the old cave-statues in the river. You, even as westerner-nobody, can also take part and wash a statue. Prob the best Mekong restaurant in SEA across the river, too. Since it's where 3 rivers meet, the carp are particularly sweet and meaty. 

It is their big religious celebration and also when Buddha takes a back seat and the Naga-spirits party down.

Going somewhere the faith (animist and Buddhist) is still strong and reading up a bit on the what's what is a very diff experience from getting doused by bargirls on Soi Post Office.

Here's a great book to read:

https://www.amazon.com/Festivals-Laos-Stuart-Fox/dp/9749511840

I'm guessing somewhere like Sukhothai or Ubon would offer a bit of the ol' time religion since they're pilgrimage sites.

???? No one cares. This is a thai forum. 

Seriously though guys, beats me why some of you hang on in the place when you’re so down on it. Get out of your palaces and mix with the locals a bit; it might cheer you up. Or perhaps head back to your home countries; certainly no watery (or any) fun to be had there.