Siam Makro joins Thai government in capping good prices to help ease living costs

webfact

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Siam Makro Plc (MAKRO), the wholesale unit of the Charoen Pokphand (CP) Group

Wouldn't it be easier for TV readers if a list was published of businesses that aren't actually owned by CP Group ?

Just for consumer information. I am sure that it wouldn't take long.

Around my parts :

The Mom & Pop shop at the end of the Soi. The 7-11s and Lotus'sss (sic) are inexorably edging closer, but they are surviving for now.

The bloke with the cha-yen motorbike sidecar stall

That pick-up truck that circulates on a weekly basis selling mops & brooms

Erm.......yeah, that's about it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, realfunster said:

Wouldn't it be easier for TV readers if a list was published of businesses that aren't actually owned by CP Group ?

Just for consumer information. I am sure that it wouldn't take long.

Around my parts :

The Mom & Pop shop at the end of the Soi. The 7-11s and Lotus'sss (sic) are inexorably edging closer, but they are surviving for now.

The bloke with the cha-yen motorbike sidecar stall

That pick-up truck that circulates on a weekly basis selling mops & brooms

Erm.......yeah, that's about it. 

What about the Ice Cream seller, or yogurt seller that rides a bike with a sidecar refrigerator on it, as well as the mobile coffee folks, they surely are not owned by CP, but then it is called CP-All for a reason i would venture to guess.

Just now, EricTh said:

This is the first time I heard of double pricing in Makro.

Have you ever truly checked the price on your produce or meat they labeled after weighing it?  The other products no way in hell they could charge different but the other Items as I indicated I have had issues and is why I send the GF into those sections.  Remember unless you can read Thai how will you now if the affixed label is correct?  

7 minutes ago, Excel said:

Jacked them up first then pretending they are helping the people by freezing the artificially high prices. Well typical of the type of people that suck the blood out of this country with the full support of the leeches who really run this country

Be helping many people if could buy 2 bottles of coke in stead of 12 the list goes on & on ect ect ect, then wait in line at check out for 10 min then go join queue for security to check items , no thanks , there not any cheaper apart from occasionally saving couple baht

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

Be helping many people if could buy 2 bottles of coke in stead of 12 the list goes on & on ect ect ect, then wait in line at check out for 10 min then go join queue for security to check items , no thanks , there not any cheaper apart from occasionally saving couple baht

If you are referring to Makro, then "saving couple baht" is understating the fact. Between Villa and Makro, the savings are easily 40% and up. Huge savings on produce and meat. Coke is not something they can really discount dramatically, so it makes no sense to expect large discounts on products like that. Since Makro is primarily aimed at selling to vendors (i.e., small restaurants and street vendors), then, of course, they sell most things in bulk. If you cannot purchase in bulk, then you will pay the premium for places like Villa (which I still love).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, timendres said:

If you are referring to Makro, then "saving couple baht" is understating the fact. Between Villa and Makro, the savings are easily 40% and up. Huge savings on produce and meat. Coke is not something they can really discount dramatically, so it makes no sense to expect large discounts on products like that. Since Makro is primarily aimed at selling to vendors (i.e., small restaurants and street vendors), then, of course, they sell most things in bulk. If you cannot purchase in bulk, then you will pay the premium for places like Villa (which I still love).

Really good prices on tinned tuna, sausages, bacon, cheese, orange juice, M&Ms ........

Fruit and veg, much cheaper in my local market.

Apart from apples, can't beat Chinese pinks in Makro!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Black said:

Why would the guy on the fruit and veg want to charge you more? Once its rung in the till how would he/she get her cut from Makro? It's not like they are handling money for their own gains is it?

Our family has been shopping in Makro for years and never had a problem.

The only issue I can see is a mistake, IE 2 type of a vegetable, one local and a more expensive import. Just tell the guy doing the weighing that's its local produce and you will get the local price.

The labels are also in English and Thai (at least they are in Pattaya) it will tell you what you bought. It even says how much a kilo and how much yours cost.

Sorry, I dont believe there is dual pricing policy in Makro.

Never have seen a price label affixed to my veggies or meat here in Bangkok at the Makro we shop at in English, it is all in Thai as well as the receipt itself.   I have shopped at Makro's for over 10 years between Bangkok and Udon Thani, and as I said have never seen a label in English affixed.

As far as dual pricing and someone pocketing the money it definitely wouldn't be the clerk who mispriced the item now would it be.  I can not begin to tell you how many times things have been over priced and when taken back are re-priced correctly.  If you can not read Thai as I stated and you do not check the prices you can and may be overcharged.  To me it's like the old butcher putting his thump on the scale as they weigh your meat......they then can pull a little of the product for themselves now.  Does it happen all of the time, well that is a definite No but it does occur....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Confused 2

It is all a bit of a joke.  Is there anyone, that believes any of the news any more, no matter what it's about.  Do they really think people are that stupid ?

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

For the hassles of check out ect inc price not much difference from big C or Tesco, never shopped at Villa where ever they are lol

2 hours ago, webfact said:

As the Thai economy reels from record-high inflation driven by spiking global energy and food prices, the general public and small businesses have become more vulnerable to higher costs.

Global gouging, no other reason.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

For the hassles of check out ect inc price not much difference from big C or Tesco, never shopped at Villa where ever they are lol

I thought that at one time but after doing a shop at soi 20 found different, some items like cheese and Japanese curries are far cheaper, Villa has been around since 1974, you must have seen one

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never have seen a price label affixed to my veggies or meat here in Bangkok at the Makro we shop at in English, it is all in Thai as well as the receipt itself.   I have shopped at Makro's for over 10 years between Bangkok and Udon Thani, and as I said have never seen a label in English affixed.

As far as dual pricing and someone pocketing the money it definitely wouldn't be the clerk who mispriced the item now would it be.  I can not begin to tell you how many times things have been over priced and when taken back are re-priced correctly.  If you can not read Thai as I stated and you do not check the prices you can and may be overcharged.  To me it's like the old butcher putting his thump on the scale as they weigh your meat......they then can pull a little of the product for themselves now.  Does it happen all of the time, well that is a definite No but it does occur....

If you have never seen a label with English product name in Makro, then you haven't been paying attention. Most of the products in the meat and vegetable section has the name in English (as well as Thai), and Makro's computer system is centralized, so there is no difference in labelling between different branches.  

IMG_20220321_155832.thumb.jpg.6a7ecc169e6b53faa8591fb2c3528937.jpg

Besides, when your product is being weighed the scale shows a picture of the product on the display, so it's easy to see if they entered the wrong product code.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, timendres said:

Since Makro is primarily aimed at selling to vendors (i.e., small restaurants and street vendors), then, of course, they sell most things in bulk. If you cannot purchase in bulk, then you will pay the premium for places like Villa (which I still love).

Well indeed. Makro is originally a Dutch wholesale market. Back in The Netherlands we always needed a card just to be able to shop there and the only way to get a card was if you owned a business. Not sure if that's still the case but I think it is.

That said standards in the Thai branch aren't quite the same. I've visited Thai Makro stores with rancid looking meat departments. The one in Chantaburi is a really bad (good) example of that. The food only branches seem to be better on average but put simply I'm not a fan. Also for a store of foreign origin their import section especially from Europe is very limited.

I much prefer Big C, especially the extra large branches. Not that I like big supermarkets that much but out of all the cheaper box stores their international section is simply the best. Sure if you are looking for very specific stuff you're better off in Tops, Villa Market or any luxury mall. I love shopping there the most despite the prices.

Edited by AgentSmith
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think you must be going to the only store where its only in Thai.

Besides, you dont need to be able to read Thai to see how much it is a kilo on the label, and the displayed price.

• Like 1