Criminal Record check for visa application

I've noticed that the embassy now require a "certificate of criminal record clearance" when applying for a Non Immigration O visa. Does anybody have any experience with this and know what the criteria is? Do they reject the application if you have any record whatsoever or are they only looking for recent offences that aren't considered "spent" in the UK judicial system? 

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not required for a non-o visa for retirement. It is only needed for a Non-OA visa.

Info is here on the embassy website for both of them. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Yes you're right but thinking about it I'd probably be better off getting the Non Immigration OA because that allows me to stay much longer. It's my intention to move to Thailand permanently. 

5 minutes ago, Siam_Sam said:

Yes you're right but thinking about it I'd probably be better off getting the Non Immigration OA because that allows me to stay much longer. It's my intention to move to Thailand permanently. 

Think you would be well advised to look at your 2 options. 

Non O-A and Non O retirement.

If you wanted to stay couple of years then Non O-A is not a crazy option.

For living in Thailand ongoing the better option is Non O. 

BTW re the criminal background check....Don't know how it works in UK, however in Oz you can apply online. Not expensive and could show clean slate even with previous transgressions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TimF said:

For UK Google Acro police check. You fill it in online. Doesn't take long. 2 day express option or standard up to 10 days

If you have some naughty stuff that you believe are Spent convictions, they are very likely to still show on an ACRO certificate, even minor stuff, you can read about the "Stepping down procedures" online.

If they accept DBS (previously Disclosure Scotland) then Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (as amended in 2014) will apply and spent convictions will not show.

I would guess that many embassies may know the difference and may insist on ACRO..

• Thanks 1

Isn't that a simple DBS check - you get the results back in a few days.

I did one recently for an application - my Thai wife did one too recently for ID purposes.

Cheap and straightforward. Saying that we've never had any criminal convictions.

Edited by Pmbkk

On 3/21/2022 at 12:18 PM, RedArmy said:

Enter Visa Exempt - Apply for Non O in Thailand - If you have the required 800,000 baht to put into your Thai bank account, then this would be an easy & straightforward option for you.

I've just checked and discovered that I can indeed apply for a Non O visa as someone who has retired but that still doesn't answer my initial query about criminal records and how they may affect the application process? 

13 minutes ago, Siam_Sam said:

........but that still doesn't answer my initial query about criminal records and how they may affect the application process?

Really, as posted previously, the best way is to apply for police clearance check. 

In Oz it's called a National Police check.

A mate of mine (long time back).

Had same question you post.

He wanted a non O-A.

He had 2 previous criminal convictions. 

Received a fine each time.

The Police check was clean.

Just apply for the thing if your after a non O-A. 

If clean your good to go.

If not then just obtain non O retirement. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Siam_Sam said:

I've just checked and discovered that I can indeed apply for a Non O visa as someone who has retired but that still doesn't answer my initial query about criminal records and how they may affect the application process? 

A criminal record check is not required to apply for a non-o visa. It is only needed to apply for a Non-OA visa at a embassy.

• Thanks 1

Asking for a friend; The gentleman has a debt in U.K. that was progressed to a ‘means enquiry hearing’ in a Magistrates’ Court. Being in Thailand my friend didn’t attend his hearing and a warrant of apprehension with bail was issued. I understand that U.K. ‘Border Force’ have no access to arrest warrants so he will be OK upon arriving at a U.K. airport. My question; could this matter affect applications for Visa’s that require a Criminal Record check?

42 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I understand that U.K. ‘Border Force’ have no access to arrest warrants so he will be OK upon arriving at a U.K. airport. 

I doubt that, with the OCR code in your passport there are Apps that are able to check several databases including the Police one. Would be surprised if UK immigration doesn't use it.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I doubt that, with the OCR code in your passport there are Apps that are able to check several databases including the Police one. Would be surprised if UK immigration doesn't use it.

What would you suggest? Maybe fly Bangkok to Eire and enter U.K. via 'Common Travel Area?'