To the Farang on the Orange Cruiser Bike that Almost Died Today

10 minutes ago, gargamon said:

So he was in front of you and you needed to brake? In every country I have ever driven in, including Thailand, if you hit someone from behind, you are at fault.  Did you pass the driver's test? 

Did you? Because that’s not always the case either, there are occasions, even in the uk, where the vehicle which was hit from behind was at fault - swerving in front of another car is one of those situations.

The motorcyclist swerved across the ops lane forcing the op to brake. 

…. So, are you criticising the op for successfully braking and not hitting the motorcyclist ?….  I’m struggling to get the point you are using to attack the Op because it’s so utterly idiotic….  

• Like 2

As a cyclist, jogger, and/or pedestrian, I always consider my "rights" on the road as irrelevant.

Right or wrong an encounter with a motor vehicle is likely to kill me.

As others have said, cyclist was foolish to flip off the OP.

If the cyclist was unaware of the state of safety on Thai roads he is more than foolish.

Your life is in your hands, here more than in other nations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cdemundo said:

As a cyclist, jogger, and/or pedestrian, I always consider my "rights" on the road as irrelevant.

Right or wrong an encounter with a motor vehicle is likely to kill me.

As others have said, cyclist was foolish to flip off the OP.

If the cyclist was unaware of the state of safety on Thai roads he is more than foolish.

Your life is in your hands, here more than in other nations.

agreed…. Especially when swerving across 3 lanes in or on any vehicle….  Regardless of the speed limits and approach speed of the on coming vehicle… 50,  60, 70 or 80… the oncoming vehicle is visible to anyone paying attention….   Only a fool swerves across as the op described. 

The ops description was of an orange cruiser….  Which I figured was a motorcycle btw. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did you? Because that’s not always the case either, there are occasions, even in the uk, where the vehicle which was hit from behind was at fault - swerving in front of another car is one of those situations.

The motorcyclist swerved across the ops lane forcing the op to brake. 

…. So, are you criticising the op for successfully braking and not hitting the motorcyclist ?….  I’m struggling to get the point you are using to attack the Op because it’s so utterly idiotic….  

I was in an accident when I was much younger where I struck a vehicle that had turned from a side street onto the main road where I was driving at legal speed. I believed at the time that I was not at fault. The policeman who showed up said that if I had struck the side of the turning vehicle, I would not be at fault. If the turning vehicle has completed their turn, and I strike them from the rear, my fault.

The same situation applies in the case here. If the OP struck the bike from the side, he would not be at fault. If the contact from the rear, the OP is in the wrong.

Please explain how this is incorrect if the driver had "swerved". Maybe the description from a UK driver's manual would clarify. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

agreed…. Especially when swerving across 3 lanes in or on any vehicle….  Regardless of the speed limits and approach speed of the on coming vehicle… 50,  60, 70 or 80… the oncoming vehicle is visible to anyone paying attention….   Only a fool swerves across as the op described. 

The ops description was of an orange cruiser….  Which I figured was a motorcycle btw. 

I may be wrong about this.

When I read "cruiser bike" I am thinking of the 1 speed fat tire bicycle popular with old timers here (USA).

I don't think there is a motorcycle here called a cruiser but I may be wrong.

Was the guy who the OP was talking about on a motorcycle?

If so I am wrong about a few things.

Edited by cdemundo

This has to be a windup. First of all the speed limit on Suk is whatever the flow of traffic designates. 

Secondly you're driving along you see a MC pull out of BH and yet this MC as you said crossed over 3 lanes and almost hit you as you're passing, How does that happen? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

This has to be a windup. First of all the speed limit on Suk is whatever the flow of traffic designates. 

Secondly you're driving along you see a MC pull out of BH and yet this MC as you said crossed over 3 lanes and almost hit you as you're passing, How does that happen? 

Happend a few times to me, cars and motorbikes check one time and then just go on pure luck. Crossing a street I always looking three times,.

Once to the wright to check the ongoing traffic, then left for the lunatics making short cuts one or the other way, and back up on the ongoing traffic, and also checking after getting on each line until I am on the exit line.  

Most likely I would continue to next U-turn instead of making the first if that was opposite of my enter of the road. 

Edited by Hummin

54 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Happend a few times to me, cars and motorbikes check one time and then just go on pure luck. Crossing a street I always looking three times,.

Once to the wright to check the ongoing traffic, then left for the lunatics making short cuts one or the other way, and back up on the ongoing traffic, and also checking after getting on each line until I am on the exit line.  

Most likely I would continue to next U-turn instead of making the first if that was opposite of my enter of the road. 

I'm in Pattaya frequently with my big bike, now I've got to check out how the Uturn looks at BPH. I've been riding down Suk thinking I'm ahead of the crowd, take your eyes off the mirror for a second and there's a car going absurdly fast alongside just as you're changing lanes. 

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm in Pattaya frequently with my big bike, now I've got to check out how the Uturn looks at BPH. I've been riding down Suk thinking I'm ahead of the crowd, take your eyes off the mirror for a second and there's a car going absurdly fast alongside just as you're changing lanes. 

Just takes a couple of nice legs to distract you, or long black shiny hair down back who ride a motorbike, and there you go. Distracted, 

Check mirror, twisting my head around back when looking in the dead spot, and check mirror again, and surprise, you got one coming at you in wrong direction, and one speeding up behind you who do not care you signal for changing lines, speeding up and flashing his headlights. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RafPinto said:

I think I saw you last week.

7842901E-EF24-4342-81FC-B8F2BFF5DDDA_4_5005_c.jpeg

I took my driving test here in Thailand in something similar back in the '90s. ????

They wouldn't just swap me a Thai license because I only had the old British paper one. The UK hadn't started issuing the photocards yet!

I received a permanent Thai license which was a bit of paper with my passport photo laminated. A photocard of sort!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

right next to the U-Turn sign

He moved into the outside lane at the hospital, not at the u-turn.

turned out from Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, crossed three lanes to do a u-turn right in front of me, without looking. 

With the distance between the hospital and the uturn sign and the OP speeding at 20kph over the speed limit, it would have been impossible to have seen him pull out of the hospital if the incident happened at the u-turn sign.

You're wrong. 

Why you support an abusive traffic law breaker that breaks the law in such a dangerous manner is anyone's guess. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gargamon said:

I was in an accident when I was much younger where I struck a vehicle that had turned from a side street onto the main road where I was driving at legal speed. I believed at the time that I was not at fault. The policeman who showed up said that if I had struck the side of the turning vehicle, I would not be at fault. If the turning vehicle has completed their turn, and I strike them from the rear, my fault.

The same situation applies in the case here. If the OP struck the bike from the side, he would not be at fault. If the contact from the rear, the OP is in the wrong.

Please explain how this is incorrect if the driver had "swerved". Maybe the description from a UK driver's manual would clarify. 

It really gets skectchy here. Just yesterday I was in the midst of making a left turn (slowly because of course there was a pickup double parked right at the corner of the soi I'm turning onto). A bike riding behind me figures "'what a great time to pass this slow farang driver and pull right in front of him while he is in the midst of his turn"...I could have easily hit him sideways or in the back if I was not aware via my side view mirror that he was doing something dangerous.....Thai roads are an obstacle course with the objective of making it home alive and not having killed anyone else.

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

you're driving along you see a MC pull out of BH and yet this MC as you said crossed over 3 lanes and almost hit you as you're passing, How does that happen? 

The MC pulled out and moved across to the overtaking lane at that point next to the hospital, when the OP pulled out from behind a pickup truck at 20kph over the speed limit and almost killed him. 

The rider looking behind would have seen a slower moving pickup obeying the speed limit in the middle lane, when suddenly the speeder appeared in the overtaking lane at excessive speed almost killing him. 

Edited by JeffersLos
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I may be wrong about this.

When I read "cruiser bike" I am thinking of the 1 speed fat tire bicycle popular with old timers here (USA).

I don't think there is a motorcycle here called a cruiser but I may be wrong.

Was the guy who the OP was talking about on a motorcycle?

If so I am wrong about a few things.

Google cruiser motorbike

Not sure if it was this incident but I did see something posted on FB yesterday. A motorcycle narrowly sped past a vehicle slowing to turn right or u-turn.

It's a thai dash-cam feed./group.

Will see if I can find it.

Very scary.

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

The MC pulled out and moved across to the overtaking lane at that point next to the hospital, when the OP pulled out from behind a pickup truck at 20kph over the speed limit and almost killed him. 

The rider looking behind would have seen a slower moving pickup obeying the speed limit in the middle lane, when suddenly the speeder appeared in the overtaking lane at excessive speed almost killing him. 

Let me ask, Do you drive on Suk? Because if you had you'd know doing 60 will get you run over unless you're in the inside lane. The bike rider lost his situational awareness and that split second could have cost his life. Good thing all ended OK.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

didn't say that said "cruiser bike"

Google that.

In europe we do short terms for motorbike as a bike, when we know we are  talking about motorbikes, and can not be misunderstood as I belive in the op post. Very hard to misunderstand in my opinion he is talking about a motorbike, and not a bicycle. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Why you support an abusive traffic law breaker that breaks the law in such a dangerous manner is anyone's guess. 

I think we have our culprit…. Someone who condones blindly driving across three lanes of traffic and blames the person who avoided the accident….????????????????

Do you own an ‘orange cruiser’ by any chance ? ????????

• Haha 2