Dozens of suspected COVID ‘Deltacron’ cases found in Thailand, all recover

snoop1130

000_1PD64D.jpeg

Photo by Handout / US Food and Drug Administration / AFP

In December and January, Thailand detected 73 cases of suspected “Deltacron”, a broad name describing variants of the COVID-19 virus (SARS-CoV-2) that contain a mixture of mutations found in Delta and Omicron, but all the patients have recovered, said Medical Sciences Department Director-General Dr. Supakit Sirilak today (Wednesday).

He said virologists at the department have decoded the genetic makeup of all the 73 cases and found they could be Deltacron cases, but results of the findings have been sent to GISAID, a global science initiative and primary source headquartered in Germany, for confirmation.

When the 73 suspected Deltacron cases were detected, Dr. Supakit explained that the Delta variant was still being found in small numbers of patients, hence, there were possibilities that Delta could combine with Omicron.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/dozens-of-suspected-covid-deltacron-cases-found-in-thailand-all-recover/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-03-23

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Wait I thought there was another OP saying that there was not any Deltacron in Thailand.....If that's so then I wonder if the GF and I do not have it now...not going to go to get a PCR test to have them check as we are 10 days in and almost over it, it does appear.    

• Like 2

it's everywhere in the world in similar quantities, in tens. So not much at all.

Still, it's being watched as potentially more dangerous than delta, because can spread faster, at omicron speed.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1584600/covid-news-deltacron-omicron-delta-doctors-fear-more-dangerous-variant

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Notice same numbers pop up...only policies now changed after getting the desired economic results.

Economic results? you mean destroying the economy without having a safety net for the populous or the fact tha the elites income has risen?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, internationalism said:

it's everywhere in the world in similar quantities, in tens. So not much at all.

Still, it's being watched as potentially more dangerous than delta, because can spread faster, at omicron speed.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1584600/covid-news-deltacron-omicron-delta-doctors-fear-more-dangerous-variant

It would make sense to study the cases where "Deltacron" was found. Are these cases consistently in individuals with weakened immunity and chronic Covid? Maybe they should be resampled to look for other recombinations, something like real world (potential) gain-of-function observation.

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wait I thought there was another OP saying that there was not any Deltacron in Thailand.....If that's so then I wonder if the GF and I do not have it now...not going to go to get a PCR test to have them check as we are 10 days in and almost over it, it does appear.    

If you are currently infected, there is only a miniscule chance of having Deltacron if I understand the OP correctly, in that both variants need to be circulating in the population to form the hybrid.

For Bangkok at least, Omicron was expected to outcompete Delta and be >90% of new cases by end of January and I assume will be 99.99% of all new cases by now. 

Hang on, I found a link from 7th March with some actual figures..

"He also said that the Omicron variant now represents 99.6% of all COVID-19 cases in Thailand and is now spreading in every province, adding that of 1,898 cases tested last week, only seven cases were Delta variant."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ba-2-sub-variant-of-omicron-becoming-dominant-strain-in-thailand/

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, realfunster said:

If you are currently infected, there is only a miniscule chance of having Deltacron if I understand the OP correctly, in that both variants need to be circulating in the population to form the hybrid.

For Bangkok at least, Omicron was expected to outcompete Delta and be >90% of new cases by end of January and I assume will be 99.99% of all new cases by now. 

Hang on, I found a link from 7th March with some actual figures..

"He also said that the Omicron variant now represents 99.6% of all COVID-19 cases in Thailand and is now spreading in every province, adding that of 1,898 cases tested last week, only seven cases were Delta variant."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ba-2-sub-variant-of-omicron-becoming-dominant-strain-in-thailand/

Then I was one of the small percentage of people infected with Omicron who were unfortunate and lost my sense of taste and smell....

On 3/24/2022 at 4:12 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Then I was one of the small percentage of people infected with Omicron who were unfortunate and lost my sense of taste and smell....

How long did this taste & smell issue last?

On 3/23/2022 at 7:09 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Stay Safe.

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

All the subsequent variants have proven themselves to be a form of "wimp covid", to date. No reason to believe this thing is not just burning itself out. 

I can think of 2, the 2 omicron strains that might qualify. The ones prior to that Alpha, Beta and Delta were quite pathological. Even the latest omicron strain B2, is causing concerns in the UK, as Covid hospital admissions reach levels not seen since early January..  and cases are believed to be higher than they ever were. (Per John Campbell )

Edited by jacko45k

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

Delta, Omicron, Deltacron, Alphacron, Gammacron.....

Let us just live with the virus. Isn't two years of madness enough already?

No problem living with it, it is the ones who wish to ignore it and keep stating it is only a minor cold that are actually lost to the true reality and could care less about taking any precautions themselves and even calling those that do take precautions as virtue signallers

Eventually it will become endemic and many people will forget folks do get seriously ill from it while either vaccinated or unvaccinated, just like other illnesses that are still in play....and yes the Flu is still around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Statistics have shown that if you are fully vaccinated with the right vaccines, the chance of having symptoms worse than flu-like symptoms is only less than 1%.

The virus won't go away even after 5 years so should all of us have to be subjected to frequent lockdowns, endless ineffective boosters and PCR test? I think not.

China is one good example that we can't have a zero-covid in any country even after tons of testing and isolation.

Did I say anything about lockdowns?, No I did not.  Tell those that have been intubated or those the family of those that died after having been vaccinated that they were only part of your 1% chance of having symptoms worse than the flu.

Again you believe that boosters are ineffective, I have to beg to differ from you on this point.  If that was the case the annual boosters many people get yearly for other illnesses must be useless in your view then.  No one ever said we need to be like China and have zero covid

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Again you believe that boosters are ineffective, I have to beg to differ from you on this point.

Just watched a report (John Campbell) claiming just that... boosters do not protect against symptomatic omicron. BUT will likely prevent serious symptoms. Also  that there was no  benefit to having a booster after an omicron infection. Even the benefit of masks is being questioned, since Scotland's extra measures are producing no benefit... head spinning stuff lately!

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Just watched a report (John Campbell) claiming just that... boosters do not protect against symptomatic omicron. BUT will likely prevent serious symptoms. Also  that there was no  benefit to having a booster after an omicron infection. Even the benefit of masks is being questioned, since Scotland's extra measures are producing no benefit... head spinning stuff lately!

The variants change and so do the methods they attach as they find easier ways into the body unfortunately thats why the mutate in order to stay alive.  Methods to stay safe are never 100% effective as we found out by becoming infected ourselves.  However, the vaccines and boosters kept us from becoming hospitalized and able to whether the storm at home.  I would hate to see someone whether the storm without a vaccine who has Diabetes or autoimmune issues like we both do.  It affects everyone so differently and one person or a few cases can not be the barometer as to how the virus affects folks.

On 3/24/2022 at 4:20 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Economic results? you mean destroying the economy without having a safety net for the populous or the fact tha the elites income has risen?

Agree and the Thai government must be aware of the plight of millions of Thai folks who were either directly or indirectly reliant on tourism . It appears that there has been little if any consideration or support for these poor people .  I'm alright Jack comes to mind along with massive neglect to the needy .  

• Like 1