Proper Recycling of Abandoned Cars to Reduce PM2.5

snoop1130

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They are abandoned and dumped because they do not run and no one wants them, they need to be crushed.  What a ridiculous story.

I think what he's saying is that after they get to a certain point, they should no longer be eligible for repair.  Because of the low cost of labor, a lot of Thai shops salvage abandoned cars, putting them back on the street.  Those rebuilt cars emit a lot of PM2.5.  Better to crush them.

• Like 1

Incentivize new car sales, prudently and in a fiscally responsible way. See new car scheme ca. 2012 for do's and don'ts.

Highly incentivize, no, more highly, no even more highly, EVs.

Require smog tests on all cars; impound those that do not pass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

There's a plot in central Bangkok filled with rusting unused firetrucks that can be recycled........????

Just across the road from Terminal 21 on the other side of Sukhumvit by the police box are two decrepit broken down tow trucks...lets start with the Government offices first....eyesores.

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They are abandoned and dumped because they do not run and no one wants them, they need to be crushed.  What a ridiculous story.

Actually I disagree. Having looked at those cars, many have spare parts that could be recycled, and sold so that car and motorcycle enthusiasts can find some of those hard to find spare parts. I am regularly ordering parts on ebay to maintain my classic. Also, considering the ban on fossil fuel run vehicles and the fact that certain companies are going to halt the sales of fossil fuel cars seems to me this could be a great opportunity.

6 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Actually I disagree. Having looked at those cars, many have spare parts that could be recycled, and sold so that car and motorcycle enthusiasts can find some of those hard to find spare parts. I am regularly ordering parts on ebay to maintain my classic. Also, considering the ban on fossil fuel run vehicles and the fact that certain companies are going to halt the sales of fossil fuel cars seems to me this could be a great opportunity.

Ill send you a few photos of the junkers dumped on the side soi's......even the dogs and rats would not live in them.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ill send you a few photos of the junkers dumped on the side soi's......even the dogs and rats would not live in them.

Then the photo in the op is just fake news. I can see quite a few cars there that seem to have good spare parts.

Been here long enough seen my share of those junkers you are talking about. I once went to see someone who had a car that would obviously never run again and I asked them to sell it to me for parts. They asked 30 000 bht so... as you can guess I mentally flipped them off and left the scene.

Edited by Pouatchee

Just now, Pouatchee said:

Then the photo in the op is just fake news. I can see quite a few cars there that seem to have good spare parts.

Thats taken at a recycle yard, look around the side soi's and you will see what I am talking about.  Not discussing those in Storage yards ready to be recycled as those are.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thats taken at a recycle yard, look around the side soi's and you will see what I am talking about.  Not discussing those in Storage yards ready to be recycled as those are.

Yeah. Anyways, here in Thailand the second hand part market sucks. Been to the chang gongs in BKK and for a <deleted> part worth 10 000bht on ebay new! they have the balls to ask 9 000 bht with an out the door warranty. As soon as you are out the door ... so is the warranty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1