Testing positive in Thailand

jayboy

I imagine many are in a similar position to myself, Thailand based and fully vaccinated.Over 60 and being careful with social distancing and mask wearing.But it seems inevitable that I (actually most of us) will eventually contract Covid in one form or another.The assumption is that I would hopefully be recuperating at home So my question is (cranks please don't bother responding) what drugs, antivirals etc would it be prudent to have in store in anticipation of the almost inevitable? I'm particular interested in antivirals recommended by medical practitioners which available in Thailand.

The evidence for use of Ivermectin according to most reputable medical sources is inconclusive, and seems to attract cranks - so no need to suggest this.

I expect this information is available elsewhere but I haven't found a good summary

Edited by jayboy

Jayboy - the anti-viral pill 'Favipiravir' has been used in Thailand since the start. I had Covid last year and was given it at the Public Hospital - it has to be taken as early as possible.

You may be able to obtain some privately but if you find you have Covid and report it to the Public Hospital, I believe, they will send some to your house - at least that's what happened to a friend in Samut Prakan last week.

Favipiravir is  of Japanese origin I believe and was used in tackling the pandemic there. ATB

Edit - no disrespect to OP but Jayboy asked a serious question and the replies I read were frivolous. Why do  that ? Help if you know something or otherwise ? MMmmm

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Like 1

I advise you to ask your question to a pharmacist regarding  the types of drugs and antivirals. II only know of one person on here Sheryl who seems to have medical knowledge.  The rest will be opinion of people trying to help. This way from a pharmacist you will get a more specific answer.

2 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Please note I am not a medical doctor so this is simply common sense advice based on my years of experience (I'm 79 years old) and having had Covid-19 (home isolation).

VERY IMPORTANT:  If you test positive at a doctor's office, in a hospital, or in a public test center you will wind up in a hospital with a 100,000+Bt bill at the end.

Keep at least four rapid test kits at home so you can test privately as opposed to being tested in a doctor's office, in a hospital, or in a public test center.  The cost of test kits in Thailand is cheap, typically less than 100 Bt, so the cost is worth the feeling of security you get from having some available.  I have four of the spit tests, which are much easier for self testing than the up the nose ones, on my bathroom shelf.  The test kits cost me 75Bt each here in Pattaya.

The incubation period is 2-5 days so if you think you might have been exposed then test yourself if you feel sick, especially if you have a fever.  It is also a good idea to test 3 and 5 days after a possible exposure.  If you have a live in companion do the same for them. 

If you test positive at home then you need to make a very careful decision about whether or not you are better off staying home or going into hospital.  IF you have any pre-existing lung problems such as emphysema or if you are a heavy smoker then head straight to a hospital.  Expect to be charged 100,000 Bt minimum, but being in a hospital early may save your life.

If you are reasonably healthy with no pre-existing lung problems and you test positive at home with only mild symptoms be prepared to self isolate for 10 days.  Skip anymore tests until about 3 days after you feel well again.  Self isolation can save you the 100,000+ Bt you would be charged for hospital care.

If you run a mild fever, up to 1ºC or 1.8-2ºF,  don't do anything!  A mild fever is a good thing, a sign that your body fighting off the infection.  If your fever goes higher take two 500 mg paracetamol tablets every four hours until your fever drops below 1ºC or 1.8-2ºF at the end of the four hour period.  If your fever goes back then restart the paracetamol regime.  Do not mix alcohol and paracetamol since the combination can damage the liver.  If the fever get over 2ºF or 3.6ºF then very seriously consider going to a hospital.

One of the symptoms is loss of energy so if you stay home get plenty of rest.  This loss of energy is because your body is using lots of energy to fight off the infection.  Depending on your basic health and the severity of the infection the loss of energy can persist weeks or months after your body had defeated the infection.

If you loose your apatite force yourself to eat to keep up the bodies energy.  Keep a week to ten days worth of food in your refrigerator and freezer so you don't need to rely on food delivery.  Cooking and eating was the hardest things for me to do when I had Covid-19.  A couple of times adding shredded chicken and frozen chopped vegetables to Jok was all I could do for breakfast, but I then ate an extra meal or energy rich snack such as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich a couple of hours later.

Favipiravir may be available at some pharmacies but if you need it then you should be in a hospital.  You must always be wary of allergic reactions when using medications for the first time.  Dosing is also something that must be regulated, generally being different for different ages or body weights.

There has yet to be even one scientifically valid test showing that Ivermectin is of any value for a Covid-19 infection.  Basically using it as for Covid-19 is a waste of money and using it can be dangerous in the case of an allergy or an overdose (easy to do if you are using veterinarian ivermectin).

Agree with all of the above good info & advice… 

[except the ‘winding yo in hospital to isolate with a +100,000 baht bill’ part]

2 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Please note I am not a medical doctor so this is simply common sense advice based on my years of experience (I'm 79 years old) and having had Covid-19 (home isolation).

VERY IMPORTANT:  If you test positive at a doctor's office, in a hospital, or in a public test center you will wind up in a hospital with a 100,000+Bt bill at the end.

Keep at least four rapid test kits at home so you can test privately as opposed to being tested in a doctor's office, in a hospital, or in a public test center.  The cost of test kits in Thailand is cheap, typically less than 100 Bt, so the cost is worth the feeling of security you get from having some available.  I have four of the spit tests, which are much easier for self testing than the up the nose ones, on my bathroom shelf.  The test kits cost me 75Bt each here in Pattaya.

The incubation period is 2-5 days so if you think you might have been exposed then test yourself if you feel sick, especially if you have a fever.  It is also a good idea to test 3 and 5 days after a possible exposure.  If you have a live in companion do the same for them. 

If you test positive at home then you need to make a very careful decision about whether or not you are better off staying home or going into hospital.  IF you have any pre-existing lung problems such as emphysema or if you are a heavy smoker then head straight to a hospital.  Expect to be charged 100,000 Bt minimum, but being in a hospital early may save your life.

If you are reasonably healthy with no pre-existing lung problems and you test positive at home with only mild symptoms be prepared to self isolate for 10 days.  Skip anymore tests until about 3 days after you feel well again.  Self isolation can save you the 100,000+ Bt you would be charged for hospital care.

If you run a mild fever, up to 1ºC or 1.8-2ºF,  don't do anything!  A mild fever is a good thing, a sign that your body fighting off the infection.  If your fever goes higher take two 500 mg paracetamol tablets every four hours until your fever drops below 1ºC or 1.8-2ºF at the end of the four hour period.  If your fever goes back then restart the paracetamol regime.  Do not mix alcohol and paracetamol since the combination can damage the liver.  If the fever get over 2ºF or 3.6ºF then very seriously consider going to a hospital.

One of the symptoms is loss of energy so if you stay home get plenty of rest.  This loss of energy is because your body is using lots of energy to fight off the infection.  Depending on your basic health and the severity of the infection the loss of energy can persist weeks or months after your body had defeated the infection.

If you loose your apatite force yourself to eat to keep up the bodies energy.  Keep a week to ten days worth of food in your refrigerator and freezer so you don't need to rely on food delivery.  Cooking and eating was the hardest things for me to do when I had Covid-19.  A couple of times adding shredded chicken and frozen chopped vegetables to Jok was all I could do for breakfast, but I then ate an extra meal or energy rich snack such as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich a couple of hours later.

Favipiravir may be available at some pharmacies but if you need it then you should be in a hospital.  You must always be wary of allergic reactions when using medications for the first time.  Dosing is also something that must be regulated, generally being different for different ages or body weights.

There has yet to be even one scientifically valid test showing that Ivermectin is of any value for a Covid-19 infection.  Basically using it as for Covid-19 is a waste of money and using it can be dangerous in the case of an allergy or an overdose (easy to do if you are using veterinarian ivermectin).

Thank you.Valuable practical advice.Your point on Favipiravir is well taken.The only thing I would add is recommending purchasing a pulse oximeter which will give advance warning, along with temperature checks, if a move from home to hospital seems required.

As a Brit I would have to find a less barbaric alternative to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich !!

40 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Thank you.Valuable practical advice.Your point on Favipiravir is well taken.The only thing I would add is recommending purchasing a pulse oximeter which will give advance warning, along with temperature checks, if a move from home to hospital seems required.

As a Brit I would have to find a less barbaric alternative to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich !!

I would have taken just about anything with lots of calories that could be prepared with a few minutes of minimal effort.  A "less barbaric" cucumber sandwich just wouldn't have sufficed however. ????

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agree with all of the above good info & advice… 

[except the ‘winding yo in hospital to isolate with a +100,000 baht bill’ part]

You may be right. 

Winding up in government isolation center on a cardboard bed for about a week eating crappy food is what happened to an asymptomatic friend of mine 4 weeks ago because he was foolish enough to go to the hospital following a possible exposure instead of testing at home.  Still cost him 100,000+ Bt.

Edited by HarrySeaman

15 hours ago, Henryford said:

I have ivermectin ready. I must be a crank. Plenty of studies showing it is effective. Do you work for Pfizer?

Who makes Ivermectin?

Isn't it a Merck product?

So should we trust Merck but not Pfizer?

Pharmaceutical pricing is so inexplicable that the whole industry is suspect at best, but I don't think we can get any medication for COVID that doesn't come from "big pharma".

I use needed daily medications to maintain my health and despite my doubts about "big pharma", what choice do I have?