Vaccine holdouts are jeopardizing Thailand’s hard-earned Covid gains

webfact

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

97% unvaxxed, I don't think so, and they're rolling out a new booster to the over 75s very soon.

My mother is in hospital right now and has been for about a month - they don't keep testing, they test a couple of times on admission and thats it.

Having said that now they're allowing visitors in I do expect there to be an explosion of cases in the hospitals in the coming weeks.

The 97% is ONS UK Office of National Statistics figure and common throughout the West. 
Cases matter why ? Can see that Death Rates / Profile Matter.

It’s the Unvaxxed who are Killing Themselves by Choice. Let Them .

The 97% figure Tells All.

The thing is otherwise dying out. Let’s let it go . Live With It. Stay Home if Worried. What more can be done after three jabs ? 

• Like 1

There's a reason why every other country in the world which did exactly that are now rolling back these 'dumb as they come' sanction type rules - it's because they're completely ineffective and everyone is susceptible to Omicron regardless of previous infection or vaccination.

I know a guy in Belgium who was out and about after getting his green pass or whatever they called it, he was popping over to France for shopping and into the Netherlands for business, then he got COVID.

How did he catch COVID? His behaviour changed from that of someone in 'infection control mode' to what it was before, he was going out to bars and restaurants just like before - that's how he caught it and subsequently infected his entire family.

Don’t like the idea of this guy flitting around cross borders like it’s 2019. BUT Unless they died of it so what? DeltaCron B2 is Everywhere. Should we lockdown then for another year ? Clearly Not. Time to Live with It.

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

People dying and in critical condition in the hospital right now are not a "distraction".

Meaning the 97% Unvaxxed Covid dead? Clogging up ICUs. Denying non- Covid treatment. Wouldn’t  let them in hospital at all ! 

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

People dying and in critical condition in the hospital right now are not a "distraction".

Maybe not, but it's already too late to vaccinate them.

If 97% of the deaths are the unvaccinated, they have chosen their own fate.  The vaccinated are apparently protected from the choices of others.  Freedom to choose what's injected into your body is a fundamental right.  Just like the right to smoke, drink, ride scooters, and eat tons of sugar.

Let's see how things pan out when the long term results are understood.  Which will happen in the long term.

Edited by impulse

5 hours ago, garyk said:

Something is out of wack somewhere in Thailand, in the US where I am now it is back to normal 100%.

Well, not quite, but getting there.  If you go to the Post Office or airport, you will need a mask.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

The thing is otherwise dying out. Let’s let it go . Live With It. Stay Home if Worried. What more can be done after three jabs ? 

Wait for the fourth jabs. Three jabs won't cut it as the death rates keep climbing in many countries with high rate of boosters.

3 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

The 97% is ONS UK Office of National Statistics figure and common throughout the West. 
Cases matter why ? Can see that Death Rates / Profile Matter.

It’s the Unvaxxed who are Killing Themselves by Choice. Let Them .

The 97% figure Tells All.

I fully understand the sentiment, but I think a lot of people forget that at the beginning a lot of what was done, was done to keep the medical system from being overwhelmed.   I don't think we want to go back to those days if we can avoid it.   Unfortunately, the unvaxxed, don't just slip quietly away when they catch Covid, they end up in hospitals and on ventilators.  

I suspect that we may need at least an annual booster for a time.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

I disagree, all we need to do is wait.

like waiting for the end times?

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

At some point it will reach a peak and then taper off, what's what everyone's waiting for.

Everything else is a distraction at this stage.

Yep, they waited for the bubonic plague to end. I suppose they didn't want to close down the economy so stop infections.

3 hours ago, Onerak said:

Wait for the fourth jabs. Three jabs won't cut it as the death rates keep climbing in many countries with high rate of boosters.

Indeed. We should also concentrate on helping developing countries get vaccinated as that will help prevent further mutations. In Australia, the govt have just approved a 4th jab for the over 65's and vulnerable, available from April 4.

There is not an overly excessive number of COVID related deaths in Thailand at the moment.

I wouldn't even classify it as an emergency.

Either way its better to be prudent and be vaccinated.

No excuse for being lazy and not get vaccinated.

If your unlucky enough to get COVID and it is serious low number of available hospital beds.

Not much Thai data out there in regards to breaking down the people that are at highest risk but did find this "emergency" report done last year in July by Thailand's Center of Disease Control.   I think it makes it blatantly obvious who is at risk but confident most will ignore the data that doesn't support their viewpoint.  Read it and draw your own conclusions.

If data is painful to consume - skip to the bottom of the second page where it succinctly details the risk group.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no557-190764.pdf

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Not much Thai data out there in regards to breaking down the people that are at highest risk but did find this "emergency" report done last year in July by Thailand's Center of Disease Control.   I think it makes it blatantly obvious who is at risk but confident most will ignore the data that doesn't support their viewpoint.  Read it and draw your own conclusions.

If data is painful to consume - skip to the bottom of the second page where it succinctly details the risk group.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no557-190764.pdf

The report you posted is for the 2019 year and many things have changed since then, but still has some good info in it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The report you posted is for the 2019 year and many things have changed since then, but still has some good info in it.

No and you obviously did not read.  First line of report - "Thailand situation update on 19 July 2021".  All the data applies to the current Covid epidemic.  

I understand how you came to that conclusion though.  They didn't update the report header but read a little further.

46 minutes ago, atpeace said:

No and you obviously did not read.  First line of report - "Thailand situation update on 19 July 2021".  All the data applies to the current Covid epidemic.  

I understand how you came to that conclusion though.  They didn't update the report header but read a little further.

Covid prior to the date in 2021, that's almost a year ago...try again

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, atpeace said:

How does a report from 19th July 2021 relate to the current Covid epidemic?

Those reports that the Disease Control dept used to issue on a daily basis were stopped with the last one being in Jan

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

How does a report from 19th July 2021 relate to the current Covid epidemic?

Those reports that the Disease Control dept used to issue on a daily basis were stopped with the last one being in Jan

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

How would it not? Was Covid around in 2021 and as I stated not much data out there about risk groups in Thailand.  Hey if you want to ignore the data that for healthy people, Covid is not a serious risk.  Up to you and hell you may be right. 

I'm just looking at data available and making reasonable decisions.  I can be wrong and constantly have been through the years.  One thing I most definitely do not do  is make a stand and not consider alternative data. You? 

3 minutes ago, atpeace said:

How would it not? Was Covid around in 2021 and as I stated not much data out there about risk groups in Thailand.  Hey if you want to ignore the data that for healthy people, Covid is not a serious risk.  Up to you and hell you may be right. 

I'm just looking at data available and making reasonable decisions.  I can be wrong and constantly have been through the years.  One thing I most definitely do not do  is make a stand and not consider alternative data. You? 

If you want to look at available data for Thailand then do so with up to date data not a Thai report from July 2021.

Here's a starter for you.......

https://www.who.int/thailand/emergencies/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

If you want to look at available data for Thailand then do so with up to date data not a Thai report from July 2021.

Here's a starter for you.......

https://www.who.int/thailand/emergencies/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

And the data showing healthy people dying of Covid? 

You know what - forget you have no desire to discuss this topic with me and that is your prerogative. Peace out bro and best of luck during this Covid situation.  We will never be on the same page and that is OK.

Just now, atpeace said:

And the data showing healthy people dying of Covid? 

You know what - forget you have no desire to discuss this topic with me and that is your prerogative. Peace out bro and best of luck during this Covid situation.  We will never be on the same page and that is OK.

We all know of the risks to healthy people as opposed to the more elderly or those with underlying conditions, we've known about that for nearly 2 years, what your rehashing is not new...................so no I have no desire to discuss whats been discussed thousands of time already

• Like 1

18 hours ago, placeholder said:

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that there's a big difference between getting omicron and getting seriously ill and/or dying? Why is it so difficult to understand that vaccines are very effective in keeping people from becoming serious ill and/or dying?

Well it could be that there are many people have a trust issue when it comes to governments and big business especially big pharma. Can you blame them? 

16 hours ago, Onerak said:

Must be less than 1% of total Covid Dead being after three western vax jabs.97% Covid Dead are Unvaxxed. Im Done at 3 jabs. Next jab will be a combo winter flu  / Covid cocktail in October (if back in Western Winter).

5 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Well it could be that there are many people have a trust issue when it comes to governments and big business especially big pharma. Can you blame them? 

Then just trust the Covid Vax studies verified by western professors and medical institutes . I don’t listen to govts or corporations on anything unless essential transaction like new passport or visa or airline ticket ! 

14 hours ago, Scott said:

I fully understand the sentiment, but I think a lot of people forget that at the beginning a lot of what was done, was done to keep the medical system from being overwhelmed.   I don't think we want to go back to those days if we can avoid it.   Unfortunately, the unvaxxed, don't just slip quietly away when they catch Covid, they end up in hospitals and on ventilators.  

I suspect that we may need at least an annual booster for a time.  

Medical systems are overwhelmed by the unvaxxed and causing longer backlogs for non- Covid cases ( 3-5 years in NHS ?). Unvaxxed to pay or be denied Hospital treatment. There is no excuse to treat them any longer as normal responsible patients. 

Oh but wait, aren’t 80% NHS patients also other types of selfish self- abusers ? Lifelong Smokers / Alcoholics/ Druggies / Obese needing NHS Bail Out with new hearts & lungs to prolong their lives. NOT what NHS should be for.

And one of a hundred reasons I left U.K. 22 years ago….

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's certainly gotten better lately than it was before in the U.S... but...

I'd hardly call 1,000+ new COVID deaths per day and 2,000+ new COVID hospitalizations per day as "back to normal 100%"

The U.S. is steadily heading toward a world pandemic record of 1 million cumulative COVID deaths from the pandemic.

Total Deaths Reported

Current 7-Day Average*

New Hospital Admissions

The current 7-day daily average for March 9–15, 2022, was 2,298.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

It's back to normal here.  I went for my yearly checkup, and I asked my doctor about it last week. She said it was the anti vaccine people that were getting sick. 

I live in a city of over 1 million with several million around me, and it is basically back to normal. I see no difference now than before it started. I have not been to the post office or airport for a while, but some one said masks were still required there.

Edited by garyk

12 minutes ago, garyk said:

She said it was the anti vaccine people that were getting sick. 

Anti-vaxers getting sick with COVID? There's a shocker!

Dunno about your city, because you haven't mentioned it... But more broadly in the U.S.  -- still about one-third of the total population has not been fully (two-shots) vaccinated. And that's worse than Thailand, where the not fully vaccinated share is about 28%.

So that leaves a lot of room for unvaccinated people to continue getting sick!

Source link

1483379023_2022-03USCOVIDhospitalizationrateboostedvsunvaccinated.jpg.a9292638781fdfe5be9bf200624a79fc.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

From the WHO's March 23 weekly COVID update:

"there were 33,000 deaths across the globe, with Russia nudging ahead of the United States in reporting the most weekly [COVID] fatalities.

At a briefing today, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, PhD, said several countries are now experiencing their highest death rates of the pandemic, which he said reflects the speed of Omicron spread and the heightened risk in unvaccinated people, especially seniors.

"We all want to move on from the pandemic. But no matter how much we wish it away, this pandemic is not over," Tedros said. "Until we reach high vaccination coverage in all countries, we will continue to face the risk of infections surging, and new variants emerging that evade vaccines."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/03/global-covid-19-cases-climb-second-week-row

• Thanks 1