Don't mention the war?

1 minute ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Yeah, best to avoid it, unless the other side brings it up first. Then if they're on the different side, try to agree with it slightly (Yeah, I see what you're saying...), then change the subject. Same I've done with all politics. Done it at bars with other farangs, coworkers, and now my intl online teaching.

Nod sage like, pretend to be listening, agree with every word......then finish up your beer and move on......keeps you out of hospital.

• Haha 1

It must be the greatest of ironies for Putin to read reports which suggest that it is the ''neo-Nazi'' element (the elite Azov Special Ops Battalion) of the Ukrainian Military which is responsible for targeting the top Russian commanders - with deadly success. 'Eliminating' this element is his stated reason for the invasion. Independent sources (e.g. Stockholm Centre for Eastern European Studies - CEES) say that whereas in 2014 this battalion had indeed a far-right background, these were far-right racists that founded the battalion, which was founded to fight Russian backed separatists in the Donbas region.

The CEES reports that it has since become "de-ideologised" and a regular fighting unit.

Its recruits now join not because of ideology but because "it has the reputation of being a particularly tough fighting unit.

• Like 1

In my compound there are a few Farangs when we talk there is no mention of the Russian/ Ukraine war 

Unless you are from that part of the world it does not effect you 

Same majority of Thais who would as already been mentioned 

would not know where in the world its happening 

Unless you are in the Tourist business Hotels  restaurants ect  

15 minutes ago, shackleton said:

In my compound there are a few Farangs when we talk there is no mention of the Russian/ Ukraine war 

Unless you are from that part of the world it does not effect you 

Same majority of Thais who would as already been mentioned 

would not know where in the world its happening 

Unless you are in the Tourist business Hotels  restaurants ect  

If I detected an eastern European accent it is certainly a topic I would avoid.

• Thanks 1

The day after Russia invaded Ukraine, my [Thai] boss proudly stated that she was against me and supported Russia. I asked why and pointed out i am not Ukrainian, she said because the US had gone back on their word and documents from earlier about not expanding NATO. I thought this a little strange and odd. This is the country head of a fortune 500 company in Thailand.

Edited by onthedarkside
derogatory comments removed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

If you are not American, when entering the USA you are classed as an alien too. So far, I have resisted the temptation to ask a border official whether I have two heads.

I'd continue the resistance. They have zero sense of humour.

14 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

she said because the US had gone back on their word and documents from earlier about not expanding NATO. I thought this a little strange and odd.

What was "strange and odd" what she said? 

• Like 1