Don't mention the war?

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That's my attitude as well. If it doesn't affect me and mine, and it doesn't, I only take a passing interest.

As it should be.

Especially applies to those particular cultural groups that engage in interest without knowing the numerous back stories. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:
9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That's my attitude as well. If it doesn't affect me and mine, and it doesn't, I only take a passing interest.

41 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

As it should be.

Especially applies to those particular cultural groups that engage in interest without knowing the numerous back stories. 

And in particular, that means as far as I'm concerned, Thailand's politics. Foreigners should IMO keep their noses out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Do you really think that Putin is running a civilised regime as a democratically elected leader?

They are still not so far to shoot their 3 1/2 presidents, 1 president's brother, few people's leaders and few more... 

And their elections is usually finished over one weekend... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 10:23 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Yeah, best to avoid it, unless the other side brings it up first. Then if they're on the different side, try to agree with it slightly (Yeah, I see what you're saying...), then change the subject. Same I've done with all politics. Done it at bars with other farangs, coworkers, and now my intl online teaching.

English pubs banned discussions on politics and religion for good reason. Maybe the war discussion is banned now?

On 3/26/2022 at 10:35 AM, paddypower said:

It must be the greatest of ironies for Putin to read reports which suggest that it is the ''neo-Nazi'' element (the elite Azov Special Ops Battalion) of the Ukrainian Military which is responsible for targeting the top Russian commanders - with deadly success. 'Eliminating' this element is his stated reason for the invasion. Independent sources (e.g. Stockholm Centre for Eastern European Studies - CEES) say that whereas in 2014 this battalion had indeed a far-right background, these were far-right racists that founded the battalion, which was founded to fight Russian backed separatists in the Donbas region.

The CEES reports that it has since become "de-ideologised" and a regular fighting unit.

Its recruits now join not because of ideology but because "it has the reputation of being a particularly tough fighting unit.

Yeah. Maybe. Whatever. Keep targeting those top generals. I wonder why Putin is holding meetings where he is isolated at the end of long tables? Is he making himself a harder target to hit? ????

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Do you really think that Putin is running a civilised regime as a democratically elected leader?

How do you find what is a civilised regime and whether the leader was elected democratically?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

Do you really think that Putin is running a civilised regime as a democratically elected leader?

I live in a country with a government that didn't get a majority of the votes first time around. Is that "democratic"?

We have that awful proportional voting system.

Anyway, what constitutes "civilised"? Could be a lot of countries are not "civilised".

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

Nice try for a diversion.

But that wasn't the question that I asked.

Which was.....

Do you really think that Putin is running a civilised regime as a democratically elected leader?

It is really a simple yes or no answer.

No simple answer in politics.

32 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Can you not manage to work that out on your?

More diversion.

But that wasn't the question that I asked.

Which was.....

It is really a simple yes or no answer.

Can you not manage to answer a simple yes or no question?

Easy, check with Putin first....if says it is, then it is......but don't ask Navalny, or the people poisoned with novichok in the UK, or the women raped and murdered in Ukraine.....bunch of liars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

.......and a new low is reached............absolutely un*******believable.

Confirmation bias in full flower. Putin's security staff vet any public appearances months ahead of the actual event for kilometres around to prevent assassination. Kremlin propaganda shill.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Will B Good said:

.......and a new low is reached............absolutely un*******believable.

You think there is no brainwashing going on in your country? It's one of the reasons I gave up watching local tv, and it's going on all the time on radio, but I tune them out as much as possible- I certainly don't believe them.

I don't live in Russia so I can't comment about there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You think there is no brainwashing going on in your country? It's one of the reasons I gave up watching local tv, and it's going on all the time on radio, but I tune them out as much as possible- I certainly don't believe them.

I don't live in Russia so I can't comment about there.

Good god yes....but there are plenty of outlets and resources to counter............

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Good god yes....but there are plenty of outlets and resources to counter............

Not where I live. The public conversation is somewhat one sided, and those that disagree are probably too scared to say anything because they get roasted if they do.

A friend of mine was excoriated for saying something his wife's daughter disliked. He was quite shocked by her reaction, and that's from someone he helped raise. The brainwashing is going quite well apparently.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not where I live. The public conversation is somewhat one sided, and those that disagree are probably too scared to say anything because they get roasted if they do.

Now that is scary....especially if you can see the right from the wrong and can do little or nothing about it.

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Now that is scary....especially if you can see the right from the wrong and can do little or nothing about it.

It is, and all I can do is avoiding saying anything much with people I don't trust. Far as I'm concerned there is no freedom of speech any more.

Sad days indeed.

However to be back on topic, nobody where I live discusses the Ukraine war ( it's too far away and doesn't affect us- yet ), so the OP should be happy about that.

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 1:13 PM, Mavideol said:

what about that one, are you familiar with it or it's fake news

On 3/28/2022 at 1:13 PM, Mavideol said:

That's why all what's originating in that country has to be blocked (a bit of gas supply we will not mind).

Even performing the music composed more than 100 years ago (e.g. Tchaikovsky), not to speak about the classic writers (Tschechow, Dostoyevsky), and Solzhenitsyn as well (hadn't he been a friend of Putin?).