Study Finds Contracting COVID-19 Increases Risk of Diabetes

webfact

6a8bfa964abe7efb3bc9b755024df28d_small.jpg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - New information now points to Long COVID increasing the risk of diabetes, on top of earlier reported neurological issues. A researcher at the National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC) explained the recent finding, which was reported in The Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology journal.

The study was based on data from 8.5 million people, 181,000 had previously contracted COVID-19. The researchers found that former COVID patients had an increased risk of developing diabetes within a year after recovering. The risk is not limited to people who have had severe Covid symptoms.

BIOTEC virologist Anan Jongkaewwattana explained that the risk was unrelated to factors normally contributing to diabetes, such as obesity or high blood pressure. He noted that people who were otherwise healthy before contracting COVID-19 faced the same risk.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

According to the data, two out of 100 people infected with COVID-19 develop diabetes within one year. Dr Anan said this showed that Long Covid was not limited to the respiratory or neurological systems.

The virologist also noted that the figures from the study forecast an observable increase in the number of people with diabetes. This is expected to become a significant public health burden, as there could be 20,000 new diabetes patients for every 1 million people infected with COVID-19.

Dr Anan added that people should avoid contracting COVID-19 even though it can now be readily treated, because there was still very little information available about the possible hidden risks.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-28

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like as a diabetic who takes precautions already I may be spared getting the cursed diabetes a second time....wait that's not right.....I have it and always will.  Had a lady ask me if she could catch my diabetes by being in close contact...looked at her like <deleted>.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the data, two out of 100 people infected with COVID-19 develop diabetes within one year. Dr Anan said this showed that Long Covid was not limited to the respiratory or neurological systems.

May whoever created this virus burn in the fires of hell ( if there is such a place).

I am firmly convinced that history will tell us that this is a made made virus and someone is responsible! ????

4 hours ago, Scott said:

It's not only the increase risk of diabetes that is of concern, there is also a 72% increase in heart attacks for those who have had Covid.   It's probably a good idea for people who have had Covid, even mild cases, to watch their blood sugar carefully and also take extra care to prevent cardiac issues.  

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Do+Covid+patients+have+a+higher+risk+of+heart+attacks+after+recovery%3F

One difference being that in the case of increased risk of heart disease, there is a positive correlation with severity of symptoms. Another reason to get vaccinated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Just another scare mongering article from another " eminent Virologist "

Now if the report was from a reputable source such as the British medical Journal, then maybe it would be believable.

Well, I am sure the BMJ will be along shortly we the news.  In the meantime, here's a little from another well known and respected journal:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2789303

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Humans have been exposed to viruses since the dawn of man, some maybe be part of the complex chain of events leading to chronic illnesses, some will be intrumental in natural evolution, many will be harmless - but to single out a theoretical effect of SARS-CoV 2 based on statistics is just bandwagon jumping for commercial gain.

Because it's not like the science of epidemiology is based on statistics...oh wait a minute. Anyway, when your statistical critique of their study gets published in some reputable scientific journal, please let us know. 

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

Unfortunately that's wishful thinking, viruses do far more harm than is known.

Diabetes is already linked with other viruses, we're talking Type 1 diabetes here. Specifically 'mono', mononucleosis or to use its real name 'Epstein-Barr Virus' (EBV) which causes 'glandular fever', it goes by many names.

I've long held a personal theory that many so called idiopathic conditions which simply appear out of nowhere are connected with different viruses. We know for sure that certain cancers are related to viral activity and it's a research area where they're only just scratching the surface over the last couple of decades.

I'm talking about some very serious illness here, not just T1 diabetes, things like MS and more.

What demonstrates the irrationality of covid vaccine refuseniks most clearly is their refusal to be vaccinated on the grounds that there might be latent effects. It's known that there are many viruses that result in latent effects that are sometimes fatal.  So far there is no evidence that any vaccine causes latent effects much less latent fatality. Obviously their attitude is based on irrational fear and nothing else. What makes it all the more bizarre is that many of these refuseniks actually accuse those who observe recommended precautions as being panic-stricken or sheeple or whatever. Clearly a case of projection.

Edited by placeholder
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Just another scare mongering article from another " eminent Virologist "

Now if the report was from a reputable source such as the British medical Journal, then maybe it would be believable.

Education: University of Alabama at Birmingham (1999–2005), University of Michigan (1994–1998)

https://research.kent.ac.uk/gcrfbiopharma/person/professor-anan-jongkaewwattana/

11 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I reckon this is a case of staistics leading to the wrong conclusion.  If you linked diabetes to owning a french poodle or watching Thai lakorn you could find a possible link.

Researchers making these dodgy conclusions to link things to COVID stand to win lucrative research grants.

prove it or can it. We're all sick of these conspiracy theories.

• Confused 4

11 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I reckon this is a case of staistics leading to the wrong conclusion.  If you linked diabetes to owning a french poodle or watching Thai lakorn you could find a possible link.

Researchers making these dodgy conclusions to link things to COVID stand to win lucrative research grants.

If you read the study they compared how often people got diabetes who had covid and who did not. So its a reasonable solid link. Still i think that if you keep your normal risks lower after you had covid by knowing about this youc an prevent  it.

Patients with COVID-19 were 166% more likely to receive a new diabetes diagnosis than were age- and sex-matched patients without COVID-19. Those with COVID-19 also were 116% more likely to be newly diagnosed with diabetes than similar patients who had an acute respiratory infection before the pandemic began.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you read the study they compared how often people got diabetes who had covid and who did not. So its a reasonable solid link. Still i think that if you keep your normal risks lower after you had covid by knowing about this youc an prevent  it.

Patients with COVID-19 were 166% more likely to receive a new diabetes diagnosis than were age- and sex-matched patients without COVID-19. Those with COVID-19 also were 116% more likely to be newly diagnosed with diabetes than similar patients who had an acute respiratory infection before the pandemic began.

Thank you ..... and interesting, although I used to work for an organisation involved in clinical research, and it was all about the money from research grants.

Looking at the basis of this purely statistical study, I can see a possible issue.  There's an assumption that those 'diagnosed' with COVID were the ones with COVID, and those not diagnosed did not have COVID.  That's a dubious assumption.

Much more likely is that people who are generally unhealthy or with low levels of fitness are more likely to became seriously ill with COVID, and so were hospitalised and 'diagnosed', whereas people in better health either self treated or never knew they had COVID.

And of course a higher number of the less healthy people went on to develop diabetes.

So you are right, it's more about looking after your health to reduce the chance of diabetes than a theoretical link to COVID, but there's no research funding for that theory.

Edited by Kinnock

5 hours ago, Kinnock said:

And of course a higher number of the less healthy people went on to develop diabetes.

Are we not talking about T1 diabetes here?

T1 Diabetes has been linked with viral activity already, T2 - that's an entirely different thing.

30 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Are we not talking about T1 diabetes here?

T1 Diabetes has been linked with viral activity already, T2 - that's an entirely different thing.

It appears that there is a link for both type 1 and type 2 diabetes in Covid patients.  Type 1 is more prominent in those under 18.   Here's a link on the under 18 and Type 1:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7102e2.htm

For type 2, this article maybe helpful:

New study finds higher rates of newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes after infection with mild COVID-19

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/03/220317094740.htm

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Thank you ..... and interesting, although I used to work for an organisation involved in clinical research, and it was all about the money from research grants.

Looking at the basis of this purely statistical study, I can see a possible issue.  There's an assumption that those 'diagnosed' with COVID were the ones with COVID, and those not diagnosed did not have COVID.  That's a dubious assumption.

Much more likely is that people who are generally unhealthy or with low levels of fitness are more likely to became seriously ill with COVID, and so were hospitalised and 'diagnosed', whereas people in better health either self treated or never knew they had COVID.

So you are right, it's more about looking after your health to reduce the chance of diabetes than a theoretical link to COVID, but there's no research funding for that theory.

People have been tested for covid so your remark about the possible issue is not right. I think this link is quite strong to be honest. People know when they have had covid. Its not like in Thailand were testing is low for instance in my country everyone tested and it got registered. So the assumption that the control group had covid is a bit strange. I think that is a wrong assumption. 

Your remark about people with good health not getting heavy covid symptoms is a strange one as for instance (and i can find research too im sure) that my brother crones disease and a diabetic, dad heart patient, mom chain smoker bad health and my sil never sich great health. All got covid and she had it worst of all. So i don't think that what your saying is true. Also given the number of tests and how wide spread it was tested i doubt that your right. If the study was done in Thailand then id agree not many test but in the west there were so many tests done that i think the data is quite safe.

Guesss we differ of opinion in this case. Besides if the control group was sizable and it was it would cancel out this error. If you read the article it said that people in the control group were of the same age range and sex as those in the covid group. So your assumption is a bit off.

8 hours ago, DoctorB said:

So what? The only advice offered is "to avoid contracting COVID-19". Anyone with 2 brain cells is trying to do that as best they can without actually becoming a hermit. Otherwise the publication of articles like this to the wider non medical public is simply scare mongering since there are no other practical preventative measures we can take.

I disagree, knowing that if you had covid you have a higher risk of becomming a diabetic is great information. Because then you can do something about it as living healthier and checking markers for becoming a diabetic more often. 

So while your right that we can't prevent getting covid any more we can look after our health better in certain area's and change things to prevent an even higher risk of becoming a diabetic. So all research showing what risks increase are good because then you know you better keep an extra vigil in those area's.

So if one had covid and is obese knowing your risk go up even more you could then for instance go low carb lose some weight and negate the extra risks. 

• Thanks 1