Fourth dose of Vaccine, when and which one?

Not in a hurry to get my fourth shot. May not get it at all, unless it is required by my travel destinations. Currently 3 dose meets requirements for most countries and cruises. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nemises said:

The reputable medical reports I’ve read suggest that the symptoms of Covid after having had 3 shots of vaccine would be negligible, or at worst, no more than that a common cold. 

That's true to some extent, but there's also the issue of waning vaccine effectiveness as time passes post booster vaccination.

The UK HSA has done a better job than most in tracking vaccine effectiveness against various outcomes over varying periods of time.

Was reading their latest report last night, which looked at people who had received booster doses in terms of protecting against subsequent COVID hospital ICU admission or requiring hospital ventilation.

According to their tracking studies, booster dose effectiveness against those things in adults age 18-64 peaked at 97% 14-34 days (up to one month) post booster, but then gradually declined to 76% effectiveness by 105 days (3.5 months) and beyond post boost.

"restricting [counted hospital admissions] to those on oxygen/ventilated/on intensive care VE [vaccine effectiveness] ranged from 97.1% down to 75.9%."

Screenshot_2.jpg.463181257ddf89577b30a1561691a8d8.jpg

Source link:

That same report finds a similar vaccine waning effect in terms of preventing against just symptomatic infection (not serious illness), even with a booster, as time passes.

Two doses only:

"After 2 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, vaccine effectiveness against the
Omicron variant starts at 45 to 50% then drops to almost no effect from 20 weeks after the second dose.

With 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna effectiveness dropped from around 65 to 70% down to around 10% by 25 weeks [6+ months] after the second dose."

With Booster Dose:

"Two to 4 weeks after a [third dose] booster dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, effectiveness ranges from around 60 to 75%, dropping to 25 to 40% from 15+ weeks [almost 4 months] after the booster."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, placnx said:

I got a Moderna booster by paying 1650 Baht 5 months after the free Pfizer jabs. The hospital gave me an updated certificate. It's a bit early to be doing a second booster for those who got jabbed only in Thailand. But why don't you call Bumrungrad for info?

Whether it's a bit early or not depends on when one got the first booster, and is nothing to do with being jabbed in Thailand.For those who received a booster in December, the second should be in the next couple of months (four months after the first booster according to the Thai government guidelines referred to.)

Maybe it's just me but I've come to dread calling Bumrungrad about vaccine issues.The response is either bewilderment (back end of last year) or at best a fob off from the charming and polite army call handlers.A friend has suggested it's best just to walk in there and inquire personally.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sitti said:

Not in a hurry to get my fourth shot. May not get it at all, unless it is required by my travel destinations. Currently 3 dose meets requirements for most countries and cruises. 

Yes same with me. I've had 2 x az + 1 pf. Don't see the point in having more unless forced into it for future travel. However I may consider an annual booster for variants like the annual flu shots. But I'm going to be jabbed every 3-6 months. 

14 hours ago, Antiparovian said:

Ask a Doctor !!! 

Indeed. And my GP just told me that he advises I wait till 6 months are up (I'm 2x Pfizer @ 3week interval and 1x Moderna 3 months later) because he expects the tweaked versions will be available by then and only that would make much sense. A 4th shot apparently doesn't do much - apparently raises the titre somewhat but it soon subsides again.

• Like 1

You're ScotlandtheBrave and you've had 3 shots in around 6 months  - and now you're looking for more - that movie Braveheart has just gone in the bin - back to Gladiator  ????

My wife has had 3 incl boosters in England and has been offered another when she's just got back to Bangkok. She's not taking it.

I think maybe too much under the current virus threat. I'd personally lay-off unless I had a medical reason ( or very old - I recommended my 84 y old Mum get it when she can ) - but each to their own.

Edited by Pmbkk

19 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Who can get a second Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine booster? Here's what you should know.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/second-pfizer-moderna-covid-19-090153441.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/second-pfizer-moderna-covid-19-090153441.html

Who can get a second COVID-19 booster of Pfizer or Moderna vaccines?

Anyone 50 or older who has gotten any approved or authorized primary COVID-19 vaccine series and a booster dose is eligible for a second booster of Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna at least  "  four months after receiving their first.  "

Although the CDC expanded booster eligibility, the agency said the second shot is especially important for those 65 and older and those 50 and older with underlying medical conditions.

20 hours ago, pontious said:

I have had AZ 1 and AZ 2. Then a moderna booster.

Asked BHP when I could have 4th jab.

They emailed to say  3 months after last moderna. They sent a screenshot of MOPH timescales.

The same as me. My 3rd jab was a Moderna booster on 16th December (Prior AZx2). Local hospital this afternoon had Pfizer. I took it and was done and out without the usual waiting time.Told the app would update in about 2 days. No receipt or written proof I had anything though. Fast service. 58 yrs old with 2 of the risky conditions. I was the only person there as Thais like to join big groups in the morning. I took the afternoon option. Much faster and medically safer. Below is what i went off; a 3 months interval. In my case I've gone in at 3.5 months.

Guideline การฉีดวัคซีนทางเลือก Moderna

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 10:46 PM, impulse said:

I hope you accidentally left out a word...

Indeed, I left out an important word NOT. It should have read: But I'm not going to be jabbed every 3-6 months. 

1 hour ago, grain said:

Indeed, I left out an important word NOT. It should have read: But I'm not going to be jabbed every 3-6 months. 

I don't know your age but I remember growing up in Hong Kong in the 1960's and vaccines of all sorts were regularly given every 6 months. I believe the younger generation don't know how good they've had it, vaccine wise, up till now. Recorded into a dog-eared yellow booklet. It's the way it was. I turned out alright.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 7:34 AM, jayboy said:

Presumably it will be quite a while before the Thai government programme includes a second booster shot.So for most expatriates (who want/need) the second booster will need to source in private sector hospitals.I know that at hospitals like Bumrungrad and Samitivej booster shots (Pfizer/Moderna) can be purchased.But are they prepared to accept bookings for a second booster yet? And if they are, can the details be included in the official Thai certificate?

When i had my 1st booster they automatically booked you in for the 2nd, so yes they are taking bookings for 2nd boosters. (Samitivej)

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 5:48 PM, rbkk said:

The same as me. My 3rd jab was a Moderna booster on 16th December (Prior AZx2). Local hospital this afternoon had Pfizer. I took it and was done and out without the usual waiting time.Told the app would update in about 2 days. No receipt or written proof I had anything though. Fast service. 58 yrs old with 2 of the risky conditions. I was the only person there as Thais like to join big groups in the morning. I took the afternoon option. Much faster and medically safer. Below is what i went off; a 3 months interval. In my case I've gone in at 3.5 months.

Guideline การฉีดวัคซีนทางเลือก Moderna

Medpark FB is similar/same and 2 AZ followed by 2 Moderna as per above intervals is possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

Medpark FB is similar/same and 2 AZ followed by 2 Moderna as per above intervals is possible.

Useful info for some I'm sure but in my case, with my Thai ID number from my yellow book, i haven't had the need to make any appointments or pay a single baht for either of my 4 doses. The govt. hospital system works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my appointment for dose 4 at Bang Sue Grand.

Appointment is for Pfizer making me Az-Az-Pfz-Pfz.

If you are in the system is works remarkably well, keep an eye open for texts from CVC-MOPH and follow the link within to get your personalised QR code. Save the QR and you're good to go.

58 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Just got my appointment for dose 4 at Bang Sue Grand.

Appointment is for Pfizer making me Az-Az-Pfz-Pfz.

If you are in the system is works remarkably well, keep an eye open for texts from CVC-MOPH and follow the link within to get your personalised QR code. Save the QR and you're good to go.

Have to agree with you although all mine have been Pfz here in Udon. By the way how long did you need to wait between dose 3 and 4 pls ?

22 minutes ago, Excel said:

Have to agree with you although all mine have been Pfz here in Udon. By the way how long did you need to wait between dose 3 and 4 pls ?

I got dose 3 at Bang Sue on December 22nd 2021, appointment for dose 4 is on April 21st.

• Thanks 1

Recently I saw some new research - from Israel I think - and inevitably it's early data BUT, the suggestion was that the 4th shot/2nd booster is only increasing immunity for a limited period of 4-6 weeks.

I'm posting from memory and about to go out. I'm sure someone could find that report but if not I'll try to post it later.

Myself I've chosen to wait 6 months for my 2nd booster and am hoping that a 2nd Generation vax may be available before too long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks LA - I don't quite know what the 'Ha Ha' means? I would be interested in your and any other opinions.

Does this help ? "Now that Israel has been delivering a fourth dose for several months, researchers have some data to rely on to assess its effectiveness. There are three studies that have been released so far, one which has not yet been peer-reviewed. In one study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, scientists assessed the rates of infection and severe illness after a fourth dose – or second booster – among more than a million people ages 60 and older in Israel. The researchers found that after a fourth dose, the rate of COVID-19 infection was two times lower than after a third dose. However, this protection quickly waned after six weeks."

https://www.sciencealert.com/an-epidemiologist-explains-whether-you-ll-be-needing-a-second-booster-in-the-future

If you are interested in the possibility of 2nd Generation vaccines - here's some insights https://www.mewburn.com/news-insights/a-much-needed-boost-the-future-of-coronavirus-vaccines

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

People must be mad, even with today's knowledge, to still go for a 3rd or even 4th shot lol.

It isn't even needed in Thailand, you can even arrive here without any vaccin and 5 day quarantaine from May. Happy I only took a sinovac and astra (1x mrna). 

Remains funny as well, most people I know that did get positive covid, all were vaccinated (this happened on their return to TH / after quarantaine).

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I have age over 65 and other risk factors.

I have had 4 Moderna shots.

No side effects from any of these shots.

No bump, no redness, no itching, no pain or discomfort. Nothing.

Most comforting of all, no autism.

Edited by cdemundo

On 3/31/2022 at 11:49 PM, rbkk said:

I don't know your age but I remember growing up in Hong Kong in the 1960's and vaccines of all sorts were regularly given every 6 months. I believe the younger generation don't know how good they've had it, vaccine wise, up till now. Recorded into a dog-eared yellow booklet. It's the way it was. I turned out alright.

I think your observation is right on target.

I think that it explains a great deal of the vaccine skepticism.

Younger people don't remember when we were afraid of childhood illnesses that were essentially eradicated by vaccination.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think it will eventually be an annual shot. 

Yes , it will fade off , and is already close to flu in order of disease . I expect a booster after summer for Europe , since they expect a peak again in autumn . Will it be just as big vaccination round as before , i highly doubt . Prob will be the same like with flu shots which are recommended for +50y or with underlying conditions . Some countries will hold on to stronger rules , but if hospital numbers are like now , there is nothing to worry about .

Just popped into the temple on Sukhumvit just past fly now in Banglamung  Pattaya  with the wife she got her booster of PHizer and i got my second booster 4 months on from the first ,no wait done in 10 minutes , just checked my mor prom app ,its already listed on there ,when we went in a girl took the number of my pink id card and i came up straight away on her computer complete with picture(fame at last)

ps they close at 3 pm

Edited by ivor bigun
  • Thanks 1