Thai Public Health Minister “deeply concerned” about alcohol drinking during Songkran leading to covid spread, looking at possible stricter control rules

webfact

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

That’s it, take away any sort of happiness from the people while the rich thieves live it up with their own private parties. Wishes to Insert appropriate four letter word. 

Whaaaaaaaaaaa! Taking away people’s happiness! Those terrible Happiness Police! Ludicrous. Anyone whose “happiness” depends on an endless spigot of booze is not mentally healthy,  and what they end up with is not real happiness. They just end up drunk. You can get the same effect by hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. Genuinely happy people drink less. I wonder why? Happiness is not the sole property of the rich.  It’s curious that you are so jealous of your purported wealthy “drinking parties”. Is everyone else in the world always having more fun than you? Maybe it’s you, not them.  Anyway you miss the point of the article.  Thailand is entitled to take any steps it sees fit to as a matter of public health. It’s their country, not yours. Those are the rules. Any  other inconveniences you want to whine about? Yeah, I bet you could go on all day. Over your endless drunken happy pints, to everyone within earshot, whatever your rant of the day may be. BTW, I enjoy a few pints on occasion, but my “happiness” does not depend on it. As is the case with most people. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

That’s it, take away any sort of happiness from the people while the rich thieves live it up with their own private parties. Wishes to Insert appropriate four letter word. 

Easy answer to that he does not need to drink

I don't think that you need alcohol to be happy,

So restrictions are not to Bad. As Thaiwrath stated those should be implemented all year round. I'm sure it would help to reduce the daily death rate of 50 on the roads.☺️????

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We as the citizens and expats of Thailand remain deeply concerned about Anutin remaining as health minister during a national crisis. If the government cared one iota about the people he would have been replaced in March 2020. Instead politics, and cronyism rule the day. 

For decades, actually. Under the same ruling elite. 

Yet, the good Thai population continue to live their lives with little interference, independent and self-sufficient. 

The enigma of the Thai paradox. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

LOL with the restriction hard for the Thai girls to sit with them them and tell them they are HANSUM man.

I get it, so the restrictions are on alcohol not the vests. Thought I had missed something. 

Note to self: STOCK UP before Songkran!

For more, this will he the first holiday since Sept. '19 and the family and I looking really forward to a few days holiday. Sun, beach, sea, pool, seafood, etc. and I want a few beers in the evenings. I've earned them! Will be well and truly pi$$ed (no pun intended) if they get the bright idea to ban drink for Songkran.

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

I don't think that you need alcohol to be happy,

So restrictions are not to Bad. As Thaiwrath stated those should be implemented all year round. I'm sure it would help to reduce the daily death rate of 50 on th roads.☺️????

Whether or not having alcohol available makes some people happier is their business.

Thaiwrath was commenting on drink driving not on having a drink. Which I'm sure he feels is not "too" bad, as you almost said. 

Edited by rott
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, rott said:

Whether or not having alcohol available makes some people happier is their business.

Thaiwrath was commenting on drink driving not on having a drink. Which I'm sure he feels is not "too" bad, as you almost said. 

I know. Many addicts pretend "having a drink" is not too bad. In their imagination having a drink doesn't mean not be able to drive. Is 50 fatalities on Thailand's roads is not enough?? Day by day?.

So restrictions should have implemented long time ago already. No booze on Songkran!

In The Netherlands 23rd febr. no more restrictions. We had Carnival (the biggest holiday of the year in which people drink and drink and drink and try to be funny while being drunk) on febr 25 2022 and the wintersport holidays after which the number of cases rapidly increased to numbers we had never seen before. It looked terrifying but the hospitals covid cases did not rise at all. Now 4 weeks later the number of cases dropped even harder then ever before.  Elderly people 60+ can get a 4th vaccin.

We have less patients dying of covid with more infections a day then Thailand. The infection rates are even higher then those in Thailand. 

Thailand has 70 million people and 27.000 cases a day with restrictions still in place. The Netherlands (a country 10 x smaller then Thailand) has 17 million people and now 30.000 cases a day without any restrictions. But we had almost a 100.000 cases a day in the beginning of march this year.

It is over, there seems to be immunity given the fact how hard the numbers now drop.

How long will Thailand keep on going on like this? Make sure people get their boosters 3rd and 4th vaccines and relax the rules.  It is nothing more then a cold now for 99,9% of the people who got infected. Is it still worth to kill the economy for 0.01% of the population who might land in the hospital? NO !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I know. Many addicts pretend "having a drink" is not too bad. In their imagination having a drink doesn't mean not be able to drive. Is 50 fatalities on Thailand's roads is not enough?? Day by day?.

So restrictions should have implemented long time ago already. No booze on Songkran!

You insist on confusing everyone who likes a drink or several drinks, with being an alcoholic or drunk driver. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 6:22 AM, grubman said:

Maybe they should just make Alcohol illegal and let the population smoke weed legally, Problems solved ????????????

Knowing Mr Nutty you can buy alcohol but only allowed to keep the bottle and cap, and not drink the contents. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, welshissan said:

Are you aware that only about 80% of the population has been vaccinated!! They live in Mahasarakam and only just had proper internet coverage

Yes I am aware that only around 80% of the population have been vaccinated. That's mainly because 20% refuse to accept it.

Medical staff and volunteers have  been very active in the rural areas making sure everyone is aware of the need for vaccination. Maha Sarakham is not particularly remote and there is nowhere in the country that is more than a few kilometers from a medical clinic. So I remain skeptical.

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes I am aware that only around 80% of the population have been vaccinated. That's mainly because 20% refuse to accept it.

Medical staff and volunteers have  been very active in the rural areas making sure everyone is aware of the need for vaccination. Maha Sarakham is not particularly remote and there is nowhere in the country that is more than a few kilometers from a medical clinic. So I remain skeptical.

Sorry about your disbelief. My in-laws live about 20k from the nearest hospital. My father in-law has to go regularly because of his health. He's had his course of injections but his wife and sister yet to receive their first even when attending the hospital with him. By the way it takes more than 30 minutes to get there due to poor road conditions !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He is a joke, end of story.

24'000 deaths, thats the yearly toll on Thailand's roads, of which 75% (if not more) involve booze.

The laws are here, you're not allowed to roam around intoxicated, so what is the problem? Well, for one it is the enforcement. While the dirty farang, a.k.a. alien, khaek, jeck or nigloh, pay through their noses - quite rightly so, the semi-divine Khon Thai gets away with a verbal comment and a few red ones - it in 99.5%. 

Enforce existing laws and put seriously painful fines for those who break them. First time 20'000 Baht, second time 30'000 Baht, third time vehicle gets impounded and sold off to the benefit of alcohol-prevention programmes or health care projects. Until the fine is paid, daily storage with the police clock 500 Baht/bike and 1'000 Baht/car - per day, that is. 

This will educate those who know everything already in such a way, that they will get more aware of the terrible damage excessive alcohol can have on drinkers and their direct surrounding. Apart from less funerals, Anutin might have to change his pampers less often - provided he is really concerned about alcohol and his coronaphobia fear. 

But, cheap booze always helped to keep those at the bottom of the ladder happy and mellow, irrespective of what kind of vat of manure they would be living in .........

Edited by Sydebolle

I barely drink anymore but it drives me insane that so many people in power in Thailand have this "Let's ban booze" fixation. They introduce more and more senseless regulations to control consumption - can't sell between the hours of...., can't sell within xxx meters of eductional establishments, etc, etc. When will these idiots ride off into the sunset and leave people the eff alone. 

• Like 1