I got stopped by the police on my scooter

tethys

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

You don't need a licence to get insurance.

no <deleted> Sherlock, but without a licence all you will get is the <deleted>ty Por Ror Bor to pay out. Good luck claiming on any other insurance without a licence, and good luck dealing with the cops when you have a major accident involving others and they find you are illegal on the road. 

Edited by PremiumLane

For those saying the compulsory Por Ror Bor is insurance so you will be OK. 

Last year I was hit by a car, cops said it was his fault - which it was, he pulled across two lanes to make a shortcut on a uturn, without looking.

He had a licence and the only insurance he had was the Por Ror Bor, I have a licence and am fully insured. Sp, I got his Por Ror Bor (40,000), but the cops gave me the option of getting him to pay more out of his own pocket as the accident was his fault and he didn't have any other insurance. So, if it is your fault they will do this to you. 

Edited by PremiumLane
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

...what were they doing in your scooter?...... how could the police get in a scooter ?

Indeed--also this morning I shot and elephant in my pajamas--

What it was doing in my pajamas I have no idea!!!   thai police are sneaky!

• Confused 1

On 4/5/2022 at 12:14 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You may need a valid IDP to secure a local Licence with your national French Licence - but, its also worth giving it a shot and seeing if they will issue you a Thai Licence with your existing French licence.

If they want to see an IDP then hand them yours, they may not notice it is expired. 

I tried it, it didn't work. She spotted it right away that the IDP was expired.

She told me to translate the license and she can do it but it just too much hassle for me to go to Bangkok only for this.

The whole thing cost me about a 1000 baht, with the fees and the taxi to go to the transportation office.

Doesn't matter, I gained experience, you can only win if you try ...

2 hours ago, tethys said:

I tried it, it didn't work. She spotted it right away that the IDP was expired.

She told me to translate the license and she can do it but it just too much hassle for me to go to Bangkok only for this.

The whole thing cost me about a 1000 baht, with the fees and the taxi to go to the transportation office.

Doesn't matter, I gained experience, you can only win if you try ...

Play the game... How easy would it be just to change the date on your IDP ??

(I know, I know, thats somewhat fraudulent, but in perspective its only about getting a legal licence). 

I don’t usually advocate the use of an agent for simple things we can do ourselves, however, in this case when facing a brick wall I see justifiable scope for using an agent.  

Question: When she [the office at the DLT] told you to translate the licence - why do you need to go to Bangkok to get this done? - does the translation need to be verified at the MFA etc, or somewhere else ?

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Question: When she [the office at the DLT] told you to translate the licence - why do you need to go to Bangkok to get this done? - does the translation need to be verified at the MFA etc, or somewhere else ?

I could have it translated in Pattaya but I need to get a stamp on it from the French Embassy. Its just over done, because to begin with, it has to be an officially approved translator by the Thai government, then why do they want, above it all, a stamp from the French Embassy? When it is already official.

Just a bunch of bureaucracy.

How easy would it be just to change the date on your IDP ??

Its very hard because its on the cover of the booklet. If you scrape of the last number of the year they will see it right away. Plus you have to modify both, the year of issuing and the year of expiration because they know its valid for 3 years.

Unfortunately they are not that stupid at the DLT.  ????

I don’t usually advocate the use of an agent for simple things we can do ourselves, however, in this case when facing a brick wall I see justifiable scope for using an agent.  

I asked two and both of them told me that the IDP need to be valid or need translation from the Embassy.

Edited by tethys

On 4/5/2022 at 7:58 AM, BritManToo said:

No driving licence, 200-400bh fine.

Just think of it as a foreigner tax for driving in Thailand.

If you'd had a d/l he would have just made up another offense.

The OP was driving  illegally and was dealt with correctly if not too leniently. If his papers had been legal he would have been sent on his way. I know the routines and procedures at these  VCPs and have been involved many stops. NEVER has a made up crime or offence been written up. And as with this example the PO did  not take money but sent the petty criminal to be processed, correctly at the police station. All of us who live here are very pleased with  the police clamp down on vehicular criminals both foreigners and local. Furthermore- on the two occasions police took action in my precence, one in Jomtien and one in Pattaya Tai both drivers were Thai.

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comments removed
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/5/2022 at 10:15 AM, KhunLA said:

Not a myth, but not done as much as in the past.  I've been wrongly written up for silly things in early days of driving here, and sadly, easier to simply pay, instead of fighting in court, or if license to be held captive, finding the PoPo station and waiting to pay.

If license not retained, simply do as locals do, and ignore the citation:

Traffic fines can be paid at any branch of KrungThai Bank.

21 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The OP was driving  illegally and was dealt with correctly if not too leniently. If his papers had been legal he would have been sent on his way. I know the routines and procedures at these  VCPs and have been involved many stops. NEVER has a made up crime or offence been written up. And as with this example the PO did  not take money but sent the petty criminal to be processed, correctly at the police station. All of us who live here are very pleased with  the police clamp down on vehicular criminals both foreigners and local. Furthermore- on the two occasions police took action in my precence, one in Jomtien and one in Pattaya Tai both drivers were Thai.

Dealt with too leniently 

Petty Criminal

Its an expired International Driving Permit, not assault and battery. 

There are plenty of stories of BiB making up offences, its happen to myself and friends - its never a major issue because its just 200 baht or so and I’ve broke the law driving far more than I’ve been caught or stopped.

It's not racist to highlight that the Police here can ’stretch’ the law... to make fast money - just look a few years back when they were fining motorcycles for riding in the second lane, or with their footpegs down. Because it didn’t happen to you, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

As stated above, you are exaggerating. An IDP is just a formality, you don't have to pass any exam to get it. My home country license is given to me for life.

Its not like I can drive for 3 years with my IDP and then I forget how to drive.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:50 PM, Isaanlife said:

Over the years in Isaan, anytime there was a checkpoint set up, pull forward, roll the window down, hand them 100 baht discretely, and off we go. Not going to sit there and argue for 100 baht. Part of the game.

Here's a old trick my Issan mother-in-law taught me, when traveling in Issan, have four 20b notes rolled up and keep them near the driver's door, if/when stopped just hand them over discretely, the cops aren't likely to unroll the money and start counting it right in the open, off you go 80b less. 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 8:25 AM, jwdub12 said:

Not really, They were at their regular weekly spot by the Theppressit/Thappraya intersection between 5-7 PM.  

2nd Rd. & Soi Wat Boon Friday, Soi Wat Boon side catching drivers turning from 2nd Rd.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 8:25 AM, theoldgit said:

No I'm sorry but you're both wrong:

For those moving to the UK

Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence

You can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence for 12 months from when you became resident

After 12 months you’ll need to apply for a provisional licence and pass the theory and practical driving tests to drive in Great Britain.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y/a-resident-of-great-britain/full-car-and-motorcycle/any-other-country

And for visitors:

Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence

You can drive any type of small vehicle (for example cars or motorcycles) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB)

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y/a-visitor-to-great-britain/any-other-country

Thanks, youoldgit… I stand corrected - good news!!! ????????