Car Reviews (personal 'Thai' experience)

KhunLA

16 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I have seen them and they look ok but I tend to avoid Chinese made products, most turn out to be troublesome

Really, how many Chinese made cars have you owned ?

I own 1 now, and one of the best cars I've owned, if not the best.  Test of time will tell, but pretty confident I won't be disappointed.  Even thinking about buying another MG.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I own 1 now, and one of the best cars I've owned, if not the best.  Test of time will tell, but pretty confident I won't be disappointed.  Even thinking about buying another MG.

As many as I want too i.e. none

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, transam said:

MG was a brand bought up by the British Motor Corporation, when BMC collapsed BMW bought the remaining Rover Group which MG was part of. BMW sold the MG name to the Chinese motor co. SAIC.

They use the MG brand name and history to sell their Chinese rides, they even have a Union Jack flag with Brit written on it on the boot. ☹️

SAIC motors lost out in their bid to buy MG to Nanjing Automotive Corporation.

In 2006  Nanjing Automotive Corporation acquired MG for 53 million pounds but in 2007 SAIC motors acquired Nanjing Automotive Corporation resulting in the MG brand coming under the ownership of SAIC motors

SAIC Motor Technical Centre UK is a technical development center at Longbridge.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Don't think Chinese care about the brand name or the history, just the established, registered distribution centers.  Though not dumb enough to not get rid of the UJ or Brit designed emblem, as there apparently are people ignorant enough to think it matters.

What China MG makes vs the past produced vehicles is night & day, and thankfully don't resemble their past failures at all ... ????

Then you haven't read their sales advertising.......????.......????

10 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

SAIC motors lost out in their bid to buy MG to Nanjing Automotive Corporation.

In 2006  Nanjing Automotive Corporation acquired MG for 53 million pounds but in 2007 SAIC motors acquired Nanjing Automotive Corporation resulting in the MG brand coming under the ownership of SAIC motors

SAIC Motor Technical Centre UK is a technical development center at Longbridge.

I know, the drawings etc are done there, all part of the Brit MG thing, but the manufactured product has nothing to do with the UK, unless they have changed something...????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Then you haven't read their sales advertising.......????.......????

Anyone that buys anything from a ad / commercial, is an idiot.  I'm a spec shopper, before I even visit any vendor.  I know what's offered, what the competition is offering, and what the price should be.

Sales people are there simple to fill out the paperwork from what 'I've' decided to buy, not what they talked me into buying.  Especially in Thailand, as I usually know more about the product than the staff.

Did the ad / commercial talk you into buying your Celerio ... ????

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Don't think Chinese care about the brand name or the history, just the established, registered distribution centers.  Though not dumb enough to not get rid of the UJ or Brit designed emblem, as there apparently are people ignorant enough to think it matters.

What China MG makes vs the past produced vehicles is night & day, and thankfully don't resemble their past failures at all ... ????

So why didn't the Chinese use a Chinese name if it is a far superior product to the MG of yesteryear, why in their ads do they say "Since 1924"...? 

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Anyone that buys anything from a ad / commercial, is an idiot.  I'm a spec shopper, before I even visit any vendor.  I know what's offered, what the competition is offering, and what the price should be.

Sales people are there simple to fill out the paperwork from what 'I've' decided to buy, not what they talked my into buying.

So you think all do the same as you and not read any advertising....Very funny......????

The MG pickup is a Chinese Maxus T70, why didn't they sell it in LOS as a Maxus pickup instead of putting a Union Jack on the tailgate and call it an MG.

All part of the scam to sell a Chinese product to those who think it is a British ride... ????

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Sales people are there simple to fill out the paperwork from what 'I've' decided to buy, not what they talked me into buying.  Especially in Thailand, as I usually know more about the product than the staff.

Are specifications not part of the ad/commercial? 

Is there some unbiased EU approved organization that provides specifications for all the different brands?  

5 minutes ago, transam said:

So why didn't the Chinese use a Chinese name if it is a far superior product to the MG of yesteryear, why in their ads do they say "Since 1924"...? 

Because they could not have sold them with Chinese names. They bought the name, and that's what they are trading on.

That said, they look like good cars at a good price. I see a lot of them and there's a dealer a few blocks from the house. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Because they could not have sold them with Chinese names. They bought the name, and that's what they are trading on.

That said, they look like good cars at a good price. I see a lot of them and there's a dealer a few blocks from the house. 

That is correct and has been my point all along.

I do wonder what a real MG would look like today, if they were still around...????

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Are specifications not part of the ad/commercial? 

Is there some unbiased EU approved organization that provides specifications for all the different brands?  

You're joking right.  There's always 'consumer reports', though doubt if many of cars offered in Thailand make it in there.

If you have teach someone how to shop for products ... then I'm sure they'll go for the best commercial.  And these people vote ... nuff said.

Lucky for them, most new cars / drivetrains, are quite dependable, and in Thailand, prices are fairly fixed at MSRP anyway.  Not much thought or education needed in today's auto market.  It's usually the top end, option filled vehicles getting the complaints.

Wee bit of research does help, and if not ... Som naa na

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You're joking right.  There's always 'consumer reports', though doubt if many of cars offered in Thailand make it in there.

If you have teach someone how to shop for products ... then I'm sure they'll go for the best commercial.  And these people vote ... nuff said.

Lucky for them, most new cars / drivetrains, are quite dependable, and in Thailand, prices are fairly fixed at MSRP anyway.  Not much thought or education needed in today's auto market.  It's usually the top end, option filled vehicles getting the complaints.

Wee bit of research does help, and if not ... Som naa na

Consumer Reports? I said unbiased.

So you depend on the what each company provides in their ads for the specifications, that's what I thought. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Seems you must have bought some questionable rides in the past then..????

On 4/10/2022 at 3:04 PM, it is what it is said:

absolutely, anyone around in the 70s/early 80s will know how often cars used to break down

I was just talking to an old friend and mentioned how many times in the summer we would go to the beach and overheat in the traffic...  I can still remember the smell of the steam when we would blow a hose... no, I live in a hot climate and my temp control gauge never varies... same w/flat tires - never get them anymore. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, transam said:

Seems you must have bought some questionable rides in the past then..????

Nope, simply better than some of the other fine vehicles I had in the past.  I always got what I expected when buying autos.  No regrets and a few nice surprises.  My Maxima was a surprise, and a sporty little thing for knocking around in.  Same with the Firebird, which I actually bought at govt repo auction to resell, but after driving, decided to keep ????

Wife wasn't pleased with that decision, with a "how old are you?" comment, and "how many do you need ?" ???? 

And here, I thought the Firebird complimented the Caddy & pick up in the driveway nicely, not counting her car, a Ford something.  Then came ... "I thought you had the motorcycle for playing"  well, now I have something safer, you'd think she'd be happy I was being more responsible.  Got rid of her instead of the toys. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Consumer Reports? I said unbiased.

Now you're showing your ignorance, or they changed.

Subscription supported, don't accept advertising.  Their auto review issue being a top seller, and I based a lot of my purchases on that monthly magazine.  Filled in the yearly review / survey they sent out for products.  

Never disappointed with my choices, products bought based on their ratings, from member surveys.  Also did their own independent testing.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Subscription supported, don't accept advertising.  Their auto review issue being a top seller, and I based a lot of my purchases on that monthly magazine.  Filled in the yearly review / survey they sent out for products.  

Never disappointed with my choices, products bought based on their ratings, from member surveys.  Also did their own independent testing.

You bought an MG based on its ratings and from member surveys, really, weeeell, I think it more like it was cheaper than the other offerings....????

12 minutes ago, transam said:

You bought an MG based on its ratings and from member surveys, really, weeeell, I think it more like it was cheaper than the other offerings....????

Actually more expensive than other considerations, but only marginal.  Most around 650k vs 700k for the ZS.

Specs, test drive, reviews, youtube vids, research SAIC history, warranty.  It was actually a hard decision, as don't know anyone that like their MGs of the past, and had to shake that stigma, realizing, SAICs weren't guilty by simply 'badge' association.

Actually thought to myself, when seeing the first yellow things / MGs around town years ago ... "I'd never buy that POS".  Peeked at first MG3s and didn't care for them at all.  Looked cute, but that's it.

Can surprise one's self after the research is done.  Glad I rolled the dice.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Actually more expensive than other considerations, but only marginal.  Most around 650k vs 700k for the ZS.

Top contender was another Mazda2, till I try sitting in one ... mind boggling

Followed by Nissan Note, Toyota Vios or Yaris, and Honda Jazz

Looked at the Swift and Mirage, MG3 and didn't even consider afterwards.

Actually surprised I returned to look at the MG ZS, as didn't bother when there previously, as think they only had top end one on display for 800k, and didn't want go that high for a damn car.

Returned after some more research for entry level ZS, and they had promo, mid level for entry level price.  Pretty hard to turn down, as the ZS easily out classed the rest.  Then it was down to the Note or ZS, for looks & features.  Note having smaller 3 cyl engine, so lost out spec wise.

Edited by KhunLA

43 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Specs, test drive, reviews, youtube vids, research SAIC history, warranty.  It was actually a hard decision, as don't know anyone that like their MGs of the past, and had to shake that stigma, realizing, SAICs weren't guilty by simply 'badge' association.

Actually thought to myself, when seeing the first yellow things / MGs around town years ago ... "I'd never buy that POS".  Peeked at first MG3s and didn't care for them at all.  Looked cute, but that's it.

Can surprise one's self after the research is done.  Glad I rolled the dice.

But your dice haven't stopped rolling yet...????

Having read loads of posts on how wonderful your MG ride is, and how you have slagged the MG mark off, I just cannot fathom out how or why you bought one. I mean, if MG, in your opinion, were always rubbish, would you actually buy a Chinese version of that rubbish..???? 

Though I think you are just trying to cover up the point here, that you bought a cheap ride with cloned history...????

13 minutes ago, transam said:

But your dice haven't stopped rolling yet...????

Having read loads of posts on how wonderful your MG ride is, and how you have slagged the MG mark off, I just cannot fathom out how or why you bought one. I mean, if MG, in your opinion, were always rubbish, would you actually buy a Chinese version of that rubbish..???? 

Though I think you are just trying to cover up the point here, that you bought a cheap ride with cloned history...????

You're a broken record, repeating same c r a p from other threads.  As you know and should sumized again, I bought it because it's a SAIC produced car.  If from UK, from any of previous owners of MG, I'd probably be driving a Note around.  That's scary.

Yes, only 30k on the clock, so time will tell, but not reading any major complaints from 1st version buyers.  I don't think anyone fails now with the 1.5L drivetrains.  It's the options that get the complaints, and why I steer away from them, especially since I don't need, want, or would use.

I don't need to 'cover up' or impress anyone on an anonymous forum.  For all you know, I may only have a bicycle to compete with your Celerio ... so I guess you would win ... ????

If MG put out the ZS so many years ago, they wouldn't have went belly up a few times and changed hands.  Do take note, SAIC, smartly, didn't continue any of the old c r a p.  I don't think, as I don't follow car history.  It's a machine ... point A to B.

Don't bother ....

.... do have a nice day.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

Indulged my Lady with an old New Beetle bought & shipped down from Chiangmai. German Build. Perfect Condition. Low Mileage. Thai Civil Servant Owner. Never Driven It myself. Been Expensive to Operate and Upgrade and the 2L engine Underpowered for Hills. Few Long Drives visiting MIL. 

Serves as Protection for Lady & Kid whom I hated seeing on the Vespa  which I now use myself very defensively as I can’t stand waiting in traffic jams or parking cars. 

My preferred four wheels here would be an old Mercedes or Volvo Saloon of similar vintage with two Tonnes of Steel Plate (guarding major smash event).SUV ? For What ? No, like driving a Tank with nightmare parking….

Would never buy new here because of the absurd Luxury Tax (100% plus ?) Lady could get partial rebate but even so …

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Now you're showing hiding your ignorance...

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 4:41 PM, KhunLA said:

Top contender was another Mazda2, till I try sitting in one ... mind boggling

Followed by Nissan Note, Toyota Vios or Yaris, and Honda Jazz

Looked at the Swift and Mirage, MG3 and didn't even consider afterwards.

Actually surprised I returned to look at the MG ZS, as didn't bother when there previously, as think they only had top end one on display for 800k, and didn't want go that high for a damn car.

Returned after some more research for entry level ZS, and they had promo, mid level for entry level price.  Pretty hard to turn down, as the ZS easily out classed the rest.  Then it was down to the Note or ZS, for looks & features.  Note having smaller 3 cyl engine, so lost out spec wise.

If you buy another ZS it will probably have a 3-cylinder engine, I think it will be renamed "Morris ZS".....????

• Haha 1