Gold wheels

On 4/9/2022 at 8:09 AM, jonny on the spot said:

Why is it out of every 100 cars i see with stupid looking gold wheels 85 of them are driving like <deleted>? I mean over and above the usual atrocious driving.

Probably because they're too distracted keeping (or making up) stats on how well others drive and not concentrating on their own $hitty driving!

Don't see many gold wheels but after market wheels are certainly a matter of taste.

Some seem pretty garish to me.

What I find odd is people getting cars with good looking manufacturers wheels, then changing them and having to get new tires too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonny on the spot said:

My post was a tongue in cheek remark that an unusually high percentage of people who have purchased gold after market wheels also drive like <deleted>.

Sorry i should have made that clear, and no my gripe is not what people do to cars, my gripe is people driving like <deleted>.

So my Yamaha X-Max with its Gold rims tells you I drive like ......, nice to know that.  Sounds like you believe that if you have a red car your more at a chance of being pulled over and ticketed in the US as the car looks like it goes fast....give it a break.

3 hours ago, jonny on the spot said:

My post was a tongue in cheek remark that an unusually high percentage of people who have purchased gold after market wheels also drive like <deleted>.

Sorry i should have made that clear, and no my gripe is not what people do to cars, my gripe is people driving like <deleted>.

We need pics ????

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, chuang said:

To you it's stupid gold wheels, to them it's beauty

To many Thais, the first thing they do after buying a new Car or Pickup Truck is to install new Wheels and Tyres on the thing.

Basically saying, " here I am, and I have the Money to do this to my Wheels ".

These kind of Mods are banned in the UK.

Any mod made to your Car other than that specified by the manufacturer and the Model, are classed as Illegal and invalidate all Insurance cover.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

To many Thais, the first thing they do after buying a new Car or Pickup Truck is to install new Wheels and Tyres on the thing.

Any mod made to your Car other than that specified by the manufacturer and the Model, are classed as Illegal and invalidate all Insurance cover.

And to Jonny above.  I agree , my old Vios has the same alloy wheels it came with but I never see another with them. Oh and all the ones I see with different wheels all look wrong to me.

I have never heard that from the UK but it kind of makes sense , Fitting a super charger to your little Korean import then adding oversized alloys would change the car a tad.

54 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

How little some know on here, it's SUV that mostly change rims and tyres,  most Thais with trucks trade their OEM wheels in for mags they can't afford new rims and tyres.

That's what I did instead of forking out something like 60,000 baht I  paid 2,500 baht. 

As for UK just one of 1000's or so of things that make it good to be in Thailand.

The 'Go faster' wheels,  just like the 'Go faster" racing stripes ,  once they're fitted  the car goes even faster so they think, just like the  125 cc bikes  with their 'Go faster' exhaust pipes...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, actonion said:

The 'Go faster' wheels,  just like the 'Go faster" racing stripes ,  once they're fitted  the car goes even faster so they think, just like the  125 cc bikes  with their 'Go faster' exhaust pipes...

Much like TRD packages ion Toyotas and M packages on BMWs....

18 hours ago, actonion said:

Magnesium wheels 'gold/bronze' color, very light weight, expensive, improves acceleration, braking and stability resulting is a more dynamic driving experience... and indeed "GO FASTER"

You will see them on very high end bikes and cars. Add $27,000 to the price of your Porsche if you choose this option.

Hence, the color gold is popular since in mimics the look of Magnesium.

The high performance exhaust pipes indeed improve performance too and sound awesome. (but are stupid in a scooter)

Mags.jpeg

Edited by LarrySR

4 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Magnesium wheels 'gold/bronze' color, very light weight, expensive, improves acceleration, braking and stability resulting is a more dynamic driving experience... and indeed "GO FASTER"

You will see them on very high end bikes and cars. Add $27,000 to the price of your Porsche if you choose this option.

The high performance exhaust pipes indeed improve performance too and sound awesome. (but are stupid in a scooter)

Mags.jpeg

Don't forget for trucks make sure they are of suitable strength for a pick up truck if buying or trading secondhand.

4 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Mags.jpeg

We're talking Thailand, where an old Toyota or the likes of  have had  alloy wheels fitted with a gold spray paint... and exhaust pipes that have had their baffle plates removed to make the go fatser sound

The "mag" and "gold" wheels on some of the delapidated vehicles do surprise me.

What does puzzle me is why does anyone around my area (Phuket) drive on low profile tires when the roads are so poor and when the vehicle is lowered how do they get in and out of many driveways?

• Like 2