Lawyer in CM for will

SammyJ

Hello, 

I have searched this page and Google, and have come up with a few names--Lana Lawyers, Siam Legal, etc, but wanted to 

ask if anyone has had a recent good experience with any lawyer in creating a will here in Chiang Mai?

Thank you

I used Lana Lawyers to draw up a semi complicated will that involved both Us and Thai assets that must go through Thai probate (don't ask why). Their fee and service were very reasonable and strait forward. The process took a bit longer than I expected but I am happy with the results and confident they can help my spouse if and when the time comes.

37 minutes ago, siam dreamers said:

I used Lana Lawyers to draw up a semi complicated will that involved both Us and Thai assets that must go through Thai probate (don't ask why). Their fee and service were very reasonable and strait forward. The process took a bit longer than I expected but I am happy with the results and confident they can help my spouse if and when the time comes.

thank you

17 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

#1- It is not mandatory to use a Lawyer for a Will. Can be easily done by yourself (and ratified at the Amphur if you wish, but not necessary).

#2- It is more prudent to separate your 'Thai Will' and 'Home country' Will.

If probate is involved after your demise, the Thai courts are not interested in overseas assets, only the Thai assets.

A separate lawyer or executor (probably in your Home country) should be used for your Home country assets.

thank you

I've just been told by another expat that should a foreigner who's legally living in an owned house on legally leased land should die intestate, his or her entire home and its contents pass to the Thai owner of the land on which the house is built. Even for Thailand, this seems a disaster in the making for elderly expats who're not married to Thais - any comments would be appreciated.

CM Legal & Business Co., Ltd.
No.111/24, K-Park Project, Village No. 2
Mahidol Road, Nonghoi Sub-District
Mueang Chiang Mai District
Chiang Mai Province 50000,Thailand
Phone (+66) 081-7646123, 086-4303240, 081-2889982
www.cmlegal-business.com
Email: [email protected]

Ask for Banjob.  He does both regular and "living" wills.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:50 PM, elena edwards said:

I've just been told by another expat that should a foreigner who's legally living in an owned house on legally leased land should die intestate, his or her entire home and its contents pass to the Thai owner of the land on which the house is built. Even for Thailand, this seems a disaster in the making for elderly expats who're not married to Thais - any comments would be appreciated.

Another great argument for renting ????

• Haha 1

Does anyone have experience with Khun "Big"?  I think the CM expats club had him as a speaker--and was told he is very knowledgeable with creating a will----cannot say if they endorsed him--but am unsure if he works independently or with ThaiAssist or some other firm?

Thank you

On 4/9/2022 at 9:04 AM, siam dreamers said:

Thai courts have no jurisdiction over USA-based assets.

16 hours ago, nglodnig said:

I asked for a quote from somebody . I had got the same thing from a "reputable" lawyer in the UK many years ago - seventy quid I think, probably more now. Surviving spouse gets all, in the event we both go divided equally among the children. It must be a standard Word template that you just put the names and addresses in.

Anyway, they wanted FORTY THOUSAND BAHT.  I asked if they could resend the quote from Planet Earth but strangely enough never got a reply. ???? 

Edited by nglodnig