Ban on single use plastics

Tom Vanderlay

Hi, I've just been reading about the new fines for bringing single use plastics into Thai national parks.  Does anyone know if that includes water bottles?  Meaning, large (or other) bottles of water that everyone needs and uses in national parks, in 37 degree heat.   I cant get any info on that.  Thanks

• Confused 1

I believe the intention is single use food bags etc that so many stalls and vendors use. Eat the food and the bag is useless/discarded  etc .

Not intended for water bottles as they could in fact be used again to carry water ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Seems logical to be allowed, aside of that water bottles aren't single use by default and wrongly labelled as such. Imagine this was your struggle of the day sigh.

Just don't want a 100,000 baht fine as foreigners will surely be targeted (only people fined probably).

Logic?!  Not a strong suit in Thailand - hahhahhaha, guess you havent been here that long.

Edited by Tom Vanderlay
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

It cost two half times the cost to recycle plastic bottles than it does manufacture new ones by all accounts.

If you ban plastic, polystyrene etc I think that would put and end to the food carts or revert back to what they used before plastic.?

53 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

It cost two half times the cost to recycle plastic bottles than it does manufacture new ones by all accounts.

If you ban plastic, polystyrene etc I think that would put and end to the food carts or revert back to what they used before plastic.?

And what was used prior to styrene etc? I have seen some using a paper wrap. In Indonesia am always impressed with the continued use of banana leaves as a wrap in many places.

The crrent cost of the alternative "paperized" containers is many times more than styrene and trying to absorb that from the small margins many food cart operators have might finish them if customers will not accept another step up in takeway food costs.

• Like 2